It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange flash of light. Looking for explanation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Well first of all I would like to say hello members of ATS long time no see. I have not logged into this site in a long time but something happened last night that made me think of you all. So let the story begin.... My friends and I sometimes go out walking late at night for fun (strange I know) well we were doing so last night and as we were walking an orb of light flashes in the sky and streaked out flat. This all happened in less than a second and afterwards we all confirmed that we had seen it. I got curious and heard that there is some type of meteor activity right now but that didn't seem like a meteor...maybe I'm wrong though. Any ideas?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Could be a meteor or possible an iridium flare.

For those unfamiliar with iridium flares, this is an explanation

The Iridium communication satellites have a peculiar shape with three polished door-sized antennas, 120° apart and at 40° angles with the main bus. The forward antenna faces the direction the satellite is traveling. Occasionally, an antenna reflects sunlight directly down at Earth, creating a predictable and quickly moving illuminated spot on the surface below of about 10 km diameter. To an observer this looks like a bright flash, or flare in the sky, with a duration of a few seconds. Ranging up to -8 magnitude (rarely to a brilliant -9.5), some of the flares are so bright that they can be seen in the daytime; but they are most impressive at night. This flashing has caused some annoyance to astronomers, as the flares occasionally disturb observations and can damage sensitive equipment. When not flaring, the satellites are often visible crossing the night sky at a typical magnitude of 6, similar to a dim star.

edit on 11-11-2012 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I don't know if it's the same thing, but last year I was standing outside looking at the sky at night time. For probably half a second I saw this (quite enormous) kind of arc flash of light streak across the sky. Another person outside with me saw it and I've always wondered what it could have been. For scale purposes , it was probably half the average size of the moon.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Zehll

That sounds extremely similar. I have no idea maybe what the guy above you said. Who knows

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by chaseninja

A quick google image of Iridium flares doesn't look anything like what I saw, it was significantly wider at the "head" of one side if you will, and flared out in an arc shape. I mean, comparatively, it was freakin' huge
edit on 11-11-2012 by Zehll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

A quick google image of Iridium flares doesn't look anything like what I saw, it was significantly wider at the "head" of one side if you will, and flared out in an arc shape. I mean, comparatively, it was freakin' huge

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

You should have closed your eyes right afterward and seen if there was any "retina burn". That is a residual image of the object that made the flash.

For instance if a meteorite, it would appear as a "streak". If a point source, a "ball".

I was driving one night near death valley and suddenly a bright flash lit the area around us through the windshield. It was so bright I was momentarily blinded and had to stop. Both of us were stunned and then my dad said, "It was a meteor, close your eyes and you can see the streak." He was right, there it was a brilliant downward streak. To my awareness it seemed just a flash. But my "imager" recorded the event.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
bolide

and why none of you guessed this quicker I dont know

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

When you and your mates talked about what you guys saw was there a common opinion amongst the group on what it is you saw? I have seen things before in similar situations and I always find it interesting if everyone had the same impression of what they saw or was there desenting views?

What does your gut tell you in was?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Do you live in or near Indianapolis?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

top topics

join