Go secede from the Union already. We Don't Want You.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11

These threads are becoming annoying and are exposing a lot of small minded individuals here on ATS.

It's most definitely showing the small mindedness, and shows who is who around here.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Do you even understand that there is a difference between individuals expatriating and an entire state seceeding? If a state secedes the land goes with it.
edit on 14-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NysgjerrigDame

Funny. When Obama was first elected I did not hear about leaving. I would say it is less about losing then about his performance the last 4 years and the people who elected him.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerk_Idiot
reply to post by NysgjerrigDame

Funny. When Obama was first elected I did not hear about leaving. I would say it is less about losing then about his performance the last 4 years and the people who elected him.

As much as I hate to bring any kind of semblance of partisanship into this, you do have a damn fine point. A lot of people were weary of Mr. Obama, but they weren't going to just give up. Its more than just the republicans that are seeing where things are going and I think they're panicked. Is secession a last ditch effort for some kind of results to start showing? Is it an actual attempt or an empty threat to kickstart the real change in this country? Only time will tell.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

When you have a petition with 50,000 + signatures, such as Texas does, a handful of comments from Facebook does not represent a majority.

Yes, well neither does the percentage of sentiment that 100,000 petition signatures against the entire population of Texas represents. That's just simple math. Then subtract the number of those signatures that are made by people who aren't really from Texas and you start to get a clearer picture.

I went through some of the petitions signature by signature and a disproportionate number were by people not living in the states the petitions were for. So one would have to be skeptical that these represent the "will" of the people in any state. Not saying that it couldn't be an accomplishment in and of itself that 675,000 (last count) individual signatures were obtained in total across all petitions, but remove the duplicates and divide by 50 states and this is hardly a majority uprising.

As far as a Temper Tantrum- your wrong. States have seceded from the Union before. One of those States was South Carolina in the 1800's which was one step of many that eventually lead to the Civil War.

I find your "temper tantrum" remark to be very foolish. Although I agree these petitions will more than likely not result in secession from the Union, it is further evidence of something else in the air - Revolution.

Yes, states have seceded from the Union before. But never in this modern age. Revolution only looks more possible because we have the internet and people can scream their opinions from the comfort of their well-heated homes while they nosh on cheetos. It only appears that there is a huge uprising. Americans are not taking to the streets (unless you count the Occupy Movement). It's a lot different when you have to get out of your chair, and go out into the world, and realize the people you interact with at the gas station or the supermarket or the library aren't foaming at the mouth about revolution. There isn't sufficient sentiment for that. The US is functioning sufficiently well that people can protest from their desk chair. That's not enough to bring a revolution.

Fact is, people are fed up with the Federal Government. They all have reasons for being fed up. They range from the silly "Obama is the Anti Christ" all the way to valid reasons such as the NDAA, the stripping of personal liberties, taxes and arresting people for collecting rainwater! No matter what the reasons are, it is all an additional sign of disobedience which will have to, sooner or later, result in something that is long overdo in this Country.

I would agree with this in part. But I think people are misguided in blaming the "government." It's the corporations we should be railing against, and the money culture we live in. The government facilitates institutionalized greed that treats basic human morals as secondary to profit. So yes, I have a problem with a lot of what our government does, but it has nothing to do with things like the "fiscal cliff" everyone keeps talking about. I range from expecting the fiscal cliff to be a non-event like every other catastrophe prediction to not caring if it happens because as a wise man once said "when you got nothin' you got nothin' to lose."

"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves." ~ Henry David Thoreau

I would agree. Just be clear about what you are disobeying, and what values propel that action. And be always ready to face the consequences.

(PS There are quiet revolutionaries too. Those who protest against the system and live a good life. Without anyone knowing what they are doing...)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

just updating in case you missed it ... 50 total petitions are now active.

at this point, i'm begining to think we the people should erect a fence around DC and let them have it

DC isn't exactly a state ... just occupied territory of a few of 'em.

perhaps we should emulate DC and tariff receipt of their goods, demand passports to enter any other US territory, CHIP them so we know where they are at all times, employ a security border around said fence with our drones (that we pay for), and then go on about erecting gallows for those who refuse to comply.

ETA --
guess this isn't much of an update

anyway EoH, glad to see you support the movement even if it is symbolic.
edit on 14-11-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
You can almost guarantee if there is a revolution of 20% or more, the military is screwed. Unless the government blatantly bombs everyone but still will not stand with the other nations. The UN would eventually step in and claim the United States as UN occupied. Of course with the help of other nations.

We are also forgetting that Texas pretty much has it's own military. A quick ally with Mexico and you are not looking at an easy war.

Either way, if this escalates past harmless petitions online...this is our most likely scenario.

I'am going to venture to say that this will go past harmless petitions.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato
Our black president was re-elected. Twenty female senators will take office. Gay marriage is legal in 1/5 of the U.S.. Three states legalized marijuana. NH has the first ever ALL-WOMAN delegation (!). And Wisconsin elects the first openly gay senator.

The people have spoken. If the people don't speak for you, then by all means leave. It's your right.

Op, after reading your intro, I am led to believe that you believe that the thing you have mentioned are the reasons why so many have signed the petitions to secede. I believe that it's possible with some or many, but not the only reason. I couldn't tell you how many have expressed to me that they are sick and tired of how things are run here; and that there was no good choice in their minds as to who the next president would be. I agree with this myself, seeing that many voted for who they believed was the lesser of two evils. This in my opinion, is no way to be made to feel about our election process. People in large numbers are tired of how things are run here and from past presidents even before our current president. Watching rights and previously afforded freedoms dwindling before their very eyes. I believe that this also has caused many Americans to initiate these petitions as well as a few of the things you cited in your thread opening. I believe it's a lot of things coming together and many have had enough and are fed up with the same old paradigm here and what we are seeing as a result of it.
edit on 15-11-2012 by Rubicant13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by otherpotato

I joined our state secession movement in 2004.

Are you going to try and tell me that I joined because I hate our black president?

lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
You'd think this would be the perfect time for Cascadia to jump out and be like HEY!

en.wikipedia.org...(independence_movement)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I support sucession and I did not vote for either dictatorship parties, which is really one party in disguise. This country has been hijack and we can't seem to be able to kick the cr2p out. So we want no part of it.

Nothing is moving forward everthing is moving backwards. More debt, more taxes, more liberties lost, more liars, more sellouts. People have had enough of this. The time is now to take the powers back to the states.
edit on 15-11-2012 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shimri
Reply to post by otherpotato

I joined our state secession movement in 2004.

Are you going to try and tell me that I joined because I hate our black president?

lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Nope!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Our black president was re-elected. Twenty female senators will take office. Gay marriage is legal in 1/5 of the U.S.. Three states legalized marijuana. NH has the first ever ALL-WOMAN delegation (!). And Wisconsin elects the first openly gay senator.

The people have spoken. If the people don't speak for you, then by all means leave. It's your right.

This is a major problem in America. Notice the OP opens his thread with "our BLACK president". Race being the main concern. The OP's second stance is on gender equality and then directly to gay marriage. Notice that nothing is said about the actual state of the union in this post. The concerns of average Americans are on issues that, in the big picture, don't mean that much. And this is by design. The OP does not mention the NDAA, TSA, Patriot Act, etc. etc. The Op's main concerns are equality... something the people in control care very little about.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Are you forgetting that we claimed part of Mexico after the war and then forced innocent Mexicans off of THEIR land?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Hi Honor, thanks for your response. Ah yes a quarantine of DC would be most interesting

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress

Are you forgetting that we claimed part of Mexico after the war and then forced innocent Mexicans off of THEIR land?

Are you forgetting we paid for the land after they picked a fight and lost? Or you could just read a history book. Were you sporting for the reconquista movement?
When you go to a store and buy something then take it back, they give you money back right? But you had to pay for it first. I think the US has a no return policy, but secession is different.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

This is a great example of the ugliness and hypocrisy of today's Liberal Identity politics.
I love how you define our President as only just black as if that somehow makes him better than if he were completely white.

Do you take issue with Men, maybe you should ask yourself if you are prejudice? Would you have not voted for Male senators if they were running against Female senators? I wonder how you would of liked an ALL-Male (!) delegation in New Hampshire. I guess "Equality" to you is just the typical double standard where you get to pick and choose who is "equal" and who is not.

Let me tell you something individual Freedom is the only true Equality not the Government through force and coercion dividing people up by group and deciding who is equal to what. When you put equality before liberty you will get Neither!

Yes the people have spoken and the country is utterly divided, the popular vote was much closer. I whole heartily support any state that wants to succeed, because we really have two different philosophy's in our country today, one support's the foundation and principles that founded this country and one clearly does not, it really is that simple. Our founding principles of our Constitution and Bill of Rights are based on Freedom and that is Universal.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrider

You had me at "succeed."

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Some what off topic but in response to some miss information with out the whole story

When William Travis decided to defend the Alamo the insurrection of the Texans was more against the dictatorial rule of President-General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna than a rebellion against Mexico per se. This is evidenced by the flag that was flown over the Alamo. It was the Mexican tricolor of red, white and green modified by having 1824 sewn into the white strip. The 1824 stood for the liberal constitution that Mexico had adopted right after independence from Spain. Santa Anna had abrogated the constitution by taking away all autonomy of the Mexican states. Texas was not the only Mexican state to rebell against Santa Anna's usurpation of power. Zacatecas and Yucatan, among others, rebelled as well. (Texas was not actually a separate Mexican state at the time. It was part of the dual state of Texas-Coahuila, a matter of some antagonism for the Texans at the time.)

Not all Mexicans were forced back to Mexico or their lands taken. It did happen to a lot of the people that took the "wrong" side of that war. Many a Mexican fought against Santa Anna and for Texas Independence
Source

Source

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
i dont know what i am democrat liberal etc. but i voted obama both times, my best friend is openly gay, i am not. I have never felt racism in my life although ive witnessed it plenty and im pretty much working poor. some family members died when i was young and left us without much. But i love this country. that is all

new topics
top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join