It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Electric crewman attacked in NY

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I live in Lakeland Florida and some of our local electric lineman are up in NY helping to restore the power to the victims of Sandy. I have a personal friend thats up there as well as a girl I know, her boyfriend is up there as well. I found out today that my friends boyfriend was attacked by a irate NY citizen due to the fact that they were slow getting the electric restored. The poor guy had his jaw broke and has to have surgery tomorrow. The incident happened in Long Island I believe. It hasn't been on the news down here in Polk County, Fl but, I heard it was on the news up there. I couldn't find a link to that though.

I think its rather sad that someone would attack another person for trying to help them. These people took time out of their lives to go help people in need and this is how they are thanked. I'm sure, or hope rather that this is a isolated incident and more things like this isn't happening. I also know that most people are thankful for what these guys and other guys like them from across the country are doing to help their fellow American out.

If anyone can find the story about this please post a link to it. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me any. I have Military friends that get spit on and cussed at for no reason from citizens when they are in uniform. Elderly public bus drivers get beat for no reason. Homeless get beat for no reason. People will loot and rob immediately once the opportunity arises. The same people flipping cars in riots will beg for police the next day when their own property is being destroyed. I love how the news told people to get ready a week in advanced and it still caught everyone even the government with their pants down.

Welcome to America.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lspilot6946

Wow isn't that an upscale section of the city??? Such class the wealthy are breeding these days.

Entitlement class, I think we know who those really are.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Wow isn't that an upscale section of the city??? Such class the wealthy are breeding these days.

I don't know If it happened there or somewhere close by. All I do know is they have been in Long Island since they got to NY about a week ago. Here is a news report about them going there. Crews work in snow

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

The attacker wasn't rich, I'll bet on that. A wealthy person would have prepared for the situation or not even care enough to cause a fuss because they had a generator or stayed at a hotel or something. Wealthy areas are hot spots for criminals. I lived in a nice area of Las Vegas (Anthem) and my car and my neighbors cars were broken into quite often. If you live in a nice area then criminals will feed on that.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I certainly would love to know for sure just to prove a theory I have about the rich being the real entitlement class, and being a bit psychotic too.
edit on 11-11-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I certainly would love to know for sure just to prove a theory I have about the rich being the real entitlement class, and being a bit psychotic too.
That's just it. I don't know for sure if it was some random guy who just attacked him or if it was a home owner that was so use to getting what he wanted that when the power didnt come back on when he wanted it to...he attacked. I'm leaning towards it being a homeowner though from what I was told. I wish I had more info for you guys, but I don't. Like I said I heard it was on the news up there but I couldn't find anything about it.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

That is just so disrespectful.....especially for your friends to have gone 1200 miles or so out of their way to help.

The locals need to get in their gov. officials face, not the hired people that's trying to help them.

Are they still planning on staying and helping???
Hope they will be okay......

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87

The attacker wasn't rich, I'll bet on that. A wealthy person would have prepared for the situation or not even care enough to cause a fuss because they had a generator or stayed at a hotel or something. Wealthy areas are hot spots for criminals. I lived in a nice area of Las Vegas (Anthem) and my car and my neighbors cars were broken into quite often. If you live in a nice area then criminals will feed on that.

I know plenty of stupid rich people who wouldn't think ahead...true story.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
What a shame that person who assaulted your worker buddy did not get squashed by a power pole.

People have lost the plot.

Pretty sad

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I would like to know the real stats on how prissy the super rich get about things but always get covered up like their out bursts and stuff. From working with people from all walks of life from homeless to celebrities I have found out that I think it's all about how that person "completes" their life. Some people find happiness before money and those people seem to be well rounded these people are the singers or the athletes or the self made people. They get pride from what they do and they money is icing. Then there those who "breathe money" and they are dicks. Those are the ones that will ask for discounts then pay with $100 bills and not tip. But the rich usually try to keep their nose clean especially dealing with the public. The guy could have been loaded and had a bad day too. Rich people like to abuse verbally but rarely physically. My input.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

That is just so disrespectful.....especially for your friends to have gone 1200 miles or so out of their way to help.

The locals need to get in their gov. officials face, not the hired people that's trying to help them.

Are they still planning on staying and helping???
Hope they will be okay......
Yes, they are staying where they are for a few more days then going somewhere else. They don't know yet where. Then in about a week I guess they will be home. It just sad to think about how disrespectful some people are. I know those people are going through some things, but to attack a "innocent" person is beyond me.

I put innocent in quotation marks cause I have no clue if he was innocent. Although knowing my friend and the other people, I am going to say that he was and this was just a awful situation.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I can sorta understand in hard times people react desperately, but not to the point of physically hurting some one that's offering help.

That in my book is uncalled for.....
[Unless one is protecting their property/family from thugs, then it IS called for]

We've rode out several hurricanes in the past where we've gone without power ranging from a few days to about 2 1/2 weeks....
But none of the people around us ever acted out like that.

We more or less stuck together and cleaned up what we could while waiting for the utility guys to get there.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87

The flip side to your theory is most "wealthy" people don't like to get their hands dirty nor do they like doing without.

Usually wealthy means pampered, spoiled......or at least IMO.

The few well off people I have known, would show their azz in the same manor just because they can.
In their little world, they think they are some body and usually look down their nose at us "regular" folks expecting us to jump at their every whim.

In a nut shell, it's an inconvenience to them to have to do without, therefore some may lash out at the first person that shows up to help.

But then again, maybe they wouldn't physically hit them 'cause it might hurt their golfing hand.......

And yeah, you're right...... some are wussies and don't know how to defend themselves.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

That is such a shame!

After Rita we didn't have electricity for a month. When linemen finally made it to my neighborhood some of us got together and brought cold drinks and sandwiches out for the guys at lunch time. They were really nice and were from Ohio and Pennsylvania. We were happy they were here!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
In this thread we have people verbally attacking a class of people based on speculation over an event that itself is not verified to have even happened. Please take a second to let that sink in. Dont pat yourself on the back afterwards.

You think all that hate you carry around affects other parts of your life or only seeps out on ATS?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by lspilot6946
I found out today that my friends boyfriend was attacked by a irate NY citizen due to the fact that they were slow getting the electric restored. The poor guy had his jaw broke and has to have surgery tomorrow. The incident happened in Long Island I believe. It hasn't been on the news down here in Polk County, Fl but, I heard it was on the news up there. I couldn't find a link to that though.

Well, I sure hope that person who did the attacking is the last person to get their power restored, and that they have enough money to pay the person attacked enough to never have to work another day in their life.

Can we say good law suite? Cha ching!!!!

edit on 12-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Here ya go...

Lakeland Electric Lineman Attacked in New York

The incident occurred about 7:15 p.m. as Applewhite and a fellow lineman walked into a Texas Roadhouse in East Hempstead, N.Y., according to the Nassau County Police Department.

A man driving a dark BMW yelled at Applewhite and his fellow lineman, John Barefoot.

“I thought he may have been asking about his power,” Applewhite said.

The man in the BMW parked, exited the car and walked toward Applewhite.

Applewhite said he walked toward the man while his friend stayed back at the truck. When he reached the man, Applewhite was punched in the face and possibly hit with an object, he said.

So apparently they were off duty and getting a bite to eat when some nut in a bmw started trouble.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

What a classy place NY is.

The entire crew should pack up and leave. Let NY sink or swim on the back of the wonderful FEMA.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

The flip side to your theory is most "wealthy" people don't like to get their hands dirty nor do they like doing without.

Usually wealthy means pampered, spoiled......or at least IMO.

The few well off people I have known, would show their azz in the same manor just because they can.
In their little world, they think they are some body and usually look down their nose at us "regular" folks expecting us to jump at their every whim.

Knowing many of wealthy people, sounds like your experience is very much geographic in nature.
All the wealthy people I know are the first to roll up their sleeves.
They are the first to volunteer.

<<   2 >>

join