It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Seeks to regulate and control Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

UN body vies for internet control

A global row has broken out over who should control and profit from the internet, after a draft proposal by a United Nations body was published online.

The little-known UN body, the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), is pushing to regulate the internet, and has suggested a range of reforms which would potentially stifle free speech and make users pay extra to use things like Skype and email.

Australia and the United States have already signalled their concerns about the plan, which experts say could allow countries to shut down the internet if they felt sensitive information might be made public.

The ITU's proposals so far include creating regulations to reveal where a user is based, taxing richer countries to fund the internet, creating infrastructure in poorer nations, and changing how companies pay each other to move traffic around the internet.

Read the full news article here
The draft proposal can be read here

So it seems that this would be the first step in the UN trying to regulate the world, I don't know too much about the NWO-side of the house but this move reeks of a 'one-world government'.

If this happens you can kiss free speech and websites like ATS goodbye, as I'm sure the powers that be will not tolerate any sort of dissent.

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
We should never willingly surrender our free speech. Freedom of every kind is eroding each day as it is, and specifically I do not recall electing or appointing anyone at or any part of the UN to represent me. I cannot recognize their authority in this or other matters that immediately come to mind.

However, having said that, I see the value in a true United Nations if such an organization were to actually exist. What we now have is nothing but a relatively uncontested shell of what it was supposedly chartered to be. Also, if the UN were to show signs of evolving into something that remotely resembles a NWO, then the answer is a simple and emphatic "NO".

Lastly, in regards to usage of the internet plus the fact that so many nations and the world economy in general is suffering financially, I could possibly consider a small (very small, to the point of miniscule) internet usage fee on a monthly basis for the privilege. Just a couple of dollars or so per month per household would be so negligible that it shouldn't be missed by most households but the sum total worldwide would be immense.

Unfortunately, even then someone would have to determine how the money is distributed, collected, and final end use leading to a lot of potential fighting between several nations and the UN on all of the above. If used properly, wonderful. If not, well then..... and for now, do not interfere with our internet until or unless it comes with our permission.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Currently there is no central internet governing body or regulator.

Which is the way it's going to stay.

All the countries that want this need to regulate the use originating from their own country. Which I think China is already doing to a certain extent.

Australia and the U.S., therefor Britain as well, don't want this to happen. Therefor it won't.

Sorry everyone. Free speech is here to stay.

edit on 11-11-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Its not gonna stay that way if TPTB have anything to say about it and the morons that inhabit this world keep going about their mindless business.
People need to start standing up to these F#%@ers and be done with it!

As for regulation? I say no, NEVER!
For what reason should the governments, local or otherwise regulate the internet?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This idea has been floating around for years. I don't think anything will come of it. If it does happen, then I will just cancel my internet. I would be able to live without it no problem.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It seems the UN wants to meddle with our free internet.

As a citizen of The United States Of America. I hereby give no permission to the U.N to control any aspect of the internets.

Now that they don't have my permission, they are not free to progress in this control effort.

top topics

join