Want cooperation? Pass a Budget.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This week has been full of we-must-come-together, brotherly-love, one-nation-united, we-won-so-you-have-to-cooperate threads.

Some of the op's have been long, thoughtful and heartfelt. Some have been shrill and demanding.

All seem to come from one position..."what does it take to get cooperation?"

This isn't actually an unreasonable question.
I've thought a lot about it and can think of only one thing that would get me to even consider cooperation with this president.

A budget.

A simple fiscal plan to show us where these tax hikes will go.
A commonly used (until this president took office) financial map to demonstrate a plan beyond tax and spend.

It's not unusual.
It's not interfering.
It's planning.

If this president and our body of legislators actually were able to present and pass a budget.

Then maybe, just maybe, there might be a reason to begin thinking of going forward.

It's simple math.

Maybe they should give it a try.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Just a disclaimer.
I don't expect this thread will get far.
Common sense and fiscal responsibility have never been fun to argue about.
Accountability is like kryptonite in political arguments.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Both sides have presented budgets every February since Obama took office in 2009. The house GOP has refused to pass any of the presidents proposals since 2011 and the senate GOP has filibustered his proposals since the democrats lost their super-majority in late 2009.

On the flip-side, the senate has refused to introduce the GOP's budget or voted it down.

We've had budgets, we've had a half dozen budgets introduced. Neither side has been willing to make concessions in their budgets to the point that would appease the other side.

It's not a budget problem we have, it's a congress problem.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Have you ever come up with a budget for yourself or your household?

First you have to divide your fixed from your variable expenses.

The must pay and the should pays and the we can put this off section.

With that aside you have to determine priorities that are important to you.

Then you create your budget.

I would like to see some progress on steps one and two before we get to step three.

You cannot start at step 3 ...

unless you are alone in the room and even then it is a bad idea.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

No budget offered by the left accounted for the six trillion in deficit over the last four years.

Other than that point I agree with you wholeheartedly.

When they agree on a budget I'll see cooperation as an option.
edit on 11-11-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

He's had four years and at one time a totally friendly congress to do exactly that. Time to make the budget unless you want more results like in Benghazi, time is limited.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I would like to see some progress on steps one and two before we get to step three.

If you fail to plan...then you must be a politician.

I never spent 30% over my possible income, or spent that over actual income. Much less four years running.

It never took me four years to figure out what I made on a paycheck either.

This isn't a chicken or egg thing here.

Four years, no budget.

Cooperation?

Nope. Nope. Nope.
edit on 11-11-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by newcovenant

He's had four years and at one time a totally friendly congress to do exactly that. Time to make the budget unless you want more results like in Benghazi, time is limited.

Have no fear. You are going to get your budget.
I think it might be not until "after" we all tumble over the fiscal cliff though.
You remember Y2K? It's gonna be like that.

I just want to warn you so you don't commit suicide when you hear that we have gone over the cliff.
Don't worry too much because it will be like Niagara Falls in a barrel. We are gonna be fine. LOL

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Four years and no agreement on what the priorities are.

Get it straight.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

It's a one trillion deficit. The president offered a budget that addressed the deficit by raising taxes and cutting defense spending and cutting excess from entitlement programs.

However, it raised taxes on those making more than $250,000 so the GOP said no.

Obama has had one budget pass in his four years in office. Just one. All of the spending we've done after that have been a copy cat of that one budget with no real direction on cutting spending or raising taxes.

The president has bypassed congress numerous times to cut spending in the organizations that fall under the executive branch, which is why we've seen the deficit grow smaller and smaller since 2009. The GOP has done nothing to effect change or to help with the spending problems we've had. They've simply refused to cooperate unless their needs are met on their terms.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Now that Obama got his 2nd term
maybe we can get something DONE since the republicans MISSION the ENTIRE time during Obamas first term was to make him a "one term President".

SO, now that the republican's wet-dream has been shattered, perhaps the republicans WILL WORK with Obama and FOR THE SAKE OF THE PEOPLE, stop playing baby games at the expense of Americans.

Some spending cuts as well as ENDING the Bush tax breaks while NOT raising taxes on the middle class and poor is the way we need to go and WILL GO now that the republicans no longer can play "one term Obama" politics.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Here is what OP is talking about -

Congress has spent $11.2 trillion since passing its last budget on April 29, 2009, according to the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee. The new debt since that date is $4.8 trillion. "Since the last budget resolution was passed 1,200 days ago, the government has borrowed 42 cents of every dollar spent," the chart notes. The chart is based on Treasury Department figures.

www.weeklystandard.com...

Reid and company haven't even presented a budget since then, which is a violation of law....

And the Dems want us to lay down and accept more taxes, for what?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
OP, I agree and I couldn't posibly agree more in the need for a budget. Any budget would do. Just a budget. The nation has seen a year or two without one in the past 200+ years. Various reasons....and sometimes political. We're now 4 full years without a single budget. Not one. The last one passed was 2009 and it was written by Bush as a carry-over.

Obstruction might work for the last 2 years but the first two has no such reasoning possible. If obstruction were possible then, many things wouldn't have passed but they did and over 100% party line opposition. I don't care for the gridlock, but indeed....It was a controlling majority in the House, Senate and White House combined. If that doesn't pass one then the house being Republican now means..what? We're already going to have to accept it'll be 9 years?

Sooner or later..indeed..a budget has to come. Right now it's spending bills, stop gap measures and piece meal band aids. The only thing the "Budget" as it's titled is good for are past numbers of what actually DID get spent and projections of what those making it see for their best outcomes, given their freedom to work with the numbers that base the assumptions for it.
Scary times...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

It's a one trillion deficit. The president offered a budget that addressed the deficit by raising taxes and cutting defense spending and cutting excess from entitlement programs.

I think raising taxes on wealthy and corporations is reasonable but it has to be done incrementally.
Defense spending needs to be reduced. I for one think reducing ALL US expenditures overseas should be aimed at.
Entitlement programs are absolutely huge and the "excess" that Obama proposed to cut doesn't touch a fraction of what has been added.

Just to be clear.
I'm no Obama fan but I know we have to have a plan to keep us out of debt and making real progress or at least to keep the two sides of the aisle from going in totally opposite directions.

Both sides must temper their goals to find the middle path. Neither are doing so.

All reason and blame aside.

No budget, no support in my opinion.

We should have an amendment to prevent the collection of taxes in any calendar year that a budget has not been passed. The left and right would see eye to eye faster than you can say impeachment.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Seeing as spending bills are introduced in the house I don't see how Senator Reid is at fault in this.

In case you're all wondering:
All of the budget's propsed by the president

Did you just forget the whole debacle in April of 2011? How GOP senators held week long filibusters opposing the presidents budget passed by the house in 2010?

Simply demanding we have 'a' budget isn't going to make it happen. We need compromise, something the president and democrats have been trying to do time and time again. To suggest otherwise is to ignore history. Do you remember the government shutdown in August 2011? Do you remember the concession that the president and the democrats made? All of the Bush tax cuts were allowed to continue in order to prevent the shut down so long as spending cuts were included. This was the concession the president made. More spending cuts and fewer avenues for revenue, again and again and again.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

No budget offered by the left accounted for the six trillion in deficit over the last four years.

noty a budget no - but the Bowles-Simpson plan did - but it never managed to get adopted - partisans from both sides blocked the 14/18 vote required to get it accepted (the vote was 11/18)

I think you have that exactly 180 degrees out - when they co-operate a budget is an option.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by badgerprints

noty a budget no - but the Bowles-Simpson plan did - but it never managed to get adopted - partisans from both sides blocked the 14/18 vote required to get it accepted (the vote was 11/18)

I think you have that exactly 180 degrees out - when they co-operate a budget is an option.

I wasn't clear on that.
Not the legislators cooperation.
The cooperation of the constituents.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Four years and no agreement on what the priorities are.

Get it straight.

It seems that staying solvent so we can work towards priorities would be THE priority.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I thought it was common sense NOT to spend more than one makes.

Pretty easy to figure that much out, IMO.....

If one's bills exceed the amount brought in, then cut back on costs until you are within the budget.

Doesn't take a genius to figure that much out.
-------------------------------

The problem with this administration is they see no limit to their spending.......it's like a free for all.

"We don't have the money, no problem, we'll just print more."

Besides, the Dems had control the first 2 years..... a lot of good that did.
Now you can forget any budget........unless a miracle happens.

Maybe Obama will actually do some thing this next 4 years other than spend, spend, spend.........
[Oh yeah, he wants to cut back on military......guess that's a start]

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

You notice no one in the House/Senate ever offers to cut any of their salaries in half to help with the budget ????

Just saying.......

------------------------

That would be met as a bipartisan "NAY".......
The only time both parties would agree with one another unanimously.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join