It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there enough jobs to replace welfare?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BaneOfQuo

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Edit: I see you eventually got a job. My point is far to many people are unwilling to go through what you did to get the job.

The thing is, I was not alone. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, desperately seeking work but there is so much competition, and so few jobs, many struggle to catch that lucky break.

You really need to understand this because otherwise, you are perpetuating the problem.

Words spoken from my heart.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

It would be ignorant to dismiss the percentage of people that remain unemployed because of the reasons I have highlighted.

It is people like you that create the disillusioned picture of our reality that are doing the real harm.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I am not perpetuating anything. I am not keeping people unemployed, I am not hoarding all the jobs for myself.

I am the most optimistic of you all as I have stated several times, there are enough jobs for all, you just need to be willing to go get them.
edit on 11-11-2012 by BaneOfQuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

They are still a minority. Your country is fu**ed because of much deeper reasons. You're on ATS, surely you know this?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

my response

reply to post by ripcontrol

government however can not do it....

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaneOfQuo

It is people like you that create the disillusioned picture of our reality that are doing the real harm.

Disillusioned picture?

Have you ever been down to the unemployment office?

Well I was just down there last month.

I am an unemployed sheetmetal worker that is trying to survive off of $148 every two weeks.

It is clear to me that I have a better grasp on the real world of the poor than you my friend. Have you ever asked anyone receiving benefits just why they are recieving them in the first place. Or did you just read something about them from a blog or an opinion site?

You still ignored my question, and why is that?

I repeat you did not answer my question.
edit on 11-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: phone spelling

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I am the most optimistic of you all as I have stated several times, there are enough jobs for all, you just need to be willing to go get them.

But there isn't enough jobs for all, you really don't understand. I don't dislike you for it, you seem a nice enough person, I just think you're uninformed about how bad things are for a lot of people.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I am well aware of the state of the country and I don't necessarily need ATS to illustrate this.

Deflection of the issue only reinforces the belief that being jobless is not their fault and beyond their control.

edit on 11-11-2012 by BaneOfQuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Originally posted by SilentKoala

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Certainly, here in the UK, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO ROUND. .

Then create a job.

I have a job, I'm an employee. How can I create a job when I am busy busting my balls in my own job?

You are forced to do that against your will? I never knew.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

No, I have not been down to the unemployment office.

I do sympathize, if you care, but let me ask you this; have you looked for work outside of the scope of your previous field?

And I apologize if I missed your question, I am in the airport responding via my smart phone.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I don't understand your point. Please elaborate.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
So let's see what the nation's leading business magazine has to say about OP's Question
Forbes says:

Finally, some statistics to prove the stereotypes right. According to a recent survey from Millennial Branding and Payscale, Millenials really are most likely to be employed in service industry jobs. So, all those jokes about post-graduation latte pouring and t-shirt folding haven’t been in vain. And while it might be comforting to think of these jobs as necessary way stations on the path to an upwardly mobile future – especially if you’re someone who holds one – there’s mounting evidence that the American labor market may never return to its pre-recession composition. The future is already here and it brings with it low-wage temporary or contract work as a way of life.

Gonna argue with Forbes???

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Deflection of the issue only reinforces the belief that being jobless is not their fault.

Sometimes it isn't.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Let me just say that after reading through this thread it has become quite obvious that some people have no compassion (aka: don't give a damn) about the welfare of others!

We can make excuses as to why some people don't work, can't find a job or leach off the government, but the fact remains that your fellow countrymen are suffering!

Instead of placing blame, why don't we work together to change the country we live in to reflect how we want to live?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I remember reading your thread you made.

I feel for you.

I put myself through two years of college, working nights, because I was tired of working at a dead end job that paid $10.75 after 12 years of working for them.

All I want is to be able to sleep soundly at night and not have yo worry about financial obstacle or problems every week. This is why I decided to do something. Now I am collecting a measly sum in unemployment and I am seriously considering alternative employment other than the union.

I made a thread, " I feel that I am destined to be poor" because no matter what, it seems like there is a cloud that lurks over my head. I like to think that eventually the cloud will dissipate over time, but one starts to wonder as the time goes by.

I keep trying and I wish that work would have lasted through Christmas, but hey, that is the construction field for you.

I just keep playing the hand that keeps getting dealt to me. Hoping it will someday get better.
edit on 11-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: phone spelling sorry, it sucks

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
And here is another good article:
Why Good People Can't Find Jobs

The obvious point is that there just aren't enough jobs to go around right now, so employers can certainly be picky. But we're not really talking about being picky here. It's not surprising that employers might actually search more, and it might take them longer to hire now, because there are so many candidates to look at. Why grab the first one when you have this long queue that you could look at? But the unusual thing, and certainly the negative thing, from everybody's perspective is those employers who say, "Look, we're just not hiring, or we're waiting a very long time to hire, because we can't find what we want." I think the place we have to begin to answer that question is back with the employers who are making all those decisions about the process. Are they doing anything wrong?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Thank you for the article.

I appreciate the contribution.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

The Internet has created a horde of people-with-useless-opinions-that-contribute-nothing-but-division. In my opinion, obviously.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Here's one from Time magazine that also has more links to as to why manufacturing will not help replace jobs, etc, if you're interested.
Why Aren't There More Jobs?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Hey Mr. Wiseguy, you ever loaded/unloaded a truck and worked an assembly line for a living? Yep, that's what I thought...

I can confirm for you that earning a high GPA in an university and working in an office while also running my 2-man very small business is a much easier job than throwing a truck all day. And would you care to guess how much that easy job paid? Minimum wage.

If I got to pick, factory job vs office job, I would pick the office job ANY DAY. An entirely different kind of stress. Do you realize just how pompous it is to claim that people who break their back all day and have nothing to show for it while you sit in your cool little office are lazier than you? Don't come to me with the whole "been there done that, buddy" claims because anyone who has truly been there and done that would never be so naive as to claim that the people who put up with such crap are lazy and have easy jobs.

Just stop kid. You are obviously an internet troll. I'm sure when mommy and daddy finally cut you off you'll find out real quick just how easy it is.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join