It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there enough jobs to replace welfare?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Look at me. I struggled hard to find work and after 2 years and food stamps and having to move to housing, I finally found work. 30 hours a week. 8.25 an hour. USA by the way. I'm glad my rent is only 50 a month (may go up to 125 now that I'm working, but that won't kick in til Jan first). I'm amost 40 years old. I was in school for my bachelors but my loans ran dry half way through SO i get to pay that all back and not get a degree. So it's fast food again for me. My son and I still have to get food stamps though they reduced them a lot. Still.

It is VERY hard to live on min wage, especially if one has no other jobs to get as a second or third. It sucks but we do what we must to survive and live.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaneOfQuo
This generation is bloody lazy.

That is the crux of the problem, apathy and lethargy are through the roof.

This post is BS. Yes there are a lot of scroungers but they are massively outweighed by people genuinely seeking work. You're obviously sat on a pedestal looking down on the great unwashed... :shk:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BaneOfQuo

The argument remains valid until not a single person takes advantage of the system and I don't see that happening sir.

Do you not think that is an unreasonable expectation? Even in the best of times someone is going to lose a job or circumstances will arise that make it rough for someone.

I am sure these lazy sods have jobs, but its like shift work greeting people at the mall while they sit in a chair.

Some of the lowest paying jobs can be the most back-breaking....I can assure you. It is not my place to belittle someone for doing a job that I find meaningless or mundane, nor do I believe it is your's. At least they are working.

Perhaps the real issue is that we place more value on our own uneducated opinions than we do the welfare of those around us.

Modern convenience has created a epidemic of laziness in my opinion.

That may be true. I believe that the system is askew and needs to be revamped in order to create an environment in which a day's pay can feed a family or pay a bill once again.

But it's much easier to point fingers and call them lazy.....that will get some results.

link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Good for you Sarra. We do have to do what we can to survive. I too have struggled to find work in recent years which is why this thread hit a nerve with me.

There seems to be a lot of people who really don't realise how tough it is out there to find employment. It's a real shame you never got your degree and I feel for you. However, in this climate, there are so many who have got a degree and still can't get a decently paid job.

Everyday I count my lucky stars for having a half decent job and never forget how hard it was to find one during this recession that has no indication of ever letting up.

Seems to me that capitalism has hit it's breaking point...

If anyone read this, thanks for listening to my thoughts.

link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Then go wash up.

Try not to dismiss my opinion with personal attacks, it limits you in so many ways.

At the end of the day it's people sole responsibility for where they are. Grant it some are incapable of providing or themselves, thus the system is in place for those individuals.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Think about this, the U.S. population was around 279 million in 99, right now it is around 313 million, now lets think, with globalization and outsourcing, do you really think that the number of jobs created domestically could keep pace with that? globalization was supposed to have created jobs, well it did, but not here in the U.S.

When I was growing up it was always said that with computers and technology you actually need less people to do the work, lets be honest, this is playing out right before our eyes, and we have moved from a huge manufacturing and production society to a consumer society where many of the products we buy and love are not made here in the U.S. our economy will not go back to the olden days.

The baby boomers had an impact on the economy and the numbers back then compared to now, most of those individuals are retired or retiring.

Much of those deficit cutting fantasies propagated by the last candidate for president, are simply nonsense, the world economies and markets are much different from the days of the Reagan diety which are held in high regard to this day.

My own belief is that there are not enough core industries to sustain, or maintain long term legitimate growth to keep real unemployment at 3 or 4 percent nowadays, no matter who is in office, it becomes a law of numbers, the only legitimate source of jobs is the war machine has to keep working, if there was no war, I do believe that the number of people unemployed would be much greater, because there would be absolutely nothing for them to do.

All of the Lockheed's and huge defense contractors would be extinct, take them out of of the economy and there is really nothing to sustain the population at 300million people, sure you have small business but there is only so many things they would be able to do as they are down chain from much of the goverment contracts and other programs out there, sure there are private enterprise firms that are isolated from those sectors.

edit on 11-11-2012 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Then go wash up.

?

Try not to dismiss my opinion with personal attacks, it limits you in so many ways.

You judged an entire generation as lazy. Are you sure of what you're saying? It was a very sweeping statement and completely unjustified.

At the end of the day it's people sole responsibility for where they are. Grant it some are incapable of providing or themselves, thus the system is in place for those individuals.

The system is also in place for people who genuinely want a job but can't get one and wouldn't know where to start 'creating' one. Not everyone is an entrepreneur.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The beauty of an opinion is I don't have to justify it beyond my own personal belief. So, by all means offer a counter opinion or argument, but to claim my post is unjustified is silly and repressive in nature.

To elaborate on my opinion on the matter is that there are plenty of jobs to go around, but people are to lazy or lack any kind of motivation to aspire to obtaining one

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofswords
Go online and do some research and you will find that there are literally thousands of jobs that cannot be filled due to a lack of skilled applicants....people who are unqualified educationally and/or socially.

Here is just one article you might find interesting: www.nytimes.com... all&_r=0

And some of those qualifications are ludicrous because it'll allow for men to get it without said qualifications, but not women, some of them I could do even though I haven't gotten my certs or associates yet, but I know personally men who are doing it that never got the certs nor attended school. I could set networks and administrate circles around them but I'll be passed over for someone who has the same experience if they have a penis.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I remember when every guy could get a job and support his family with it if they wanted. Then women decided they wanted to work and they flooded the market with more people. The result, both people have to work now and still have a hard time making ends meet. What did we accomplish. I think the woman had the most important job there was back in the old days, I don't know why they wanted to join the ratrace. Maybe it was the attitude of the guys that caused the problem for many families. I grew up in a family where there was equality. Women worked to get extra things that were needed or wanted in the home, now they are working to survive.

No there are not enough jobs to replace welfare, there haven't been for a while. China is doing just fine though, most people are working now.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

The beauty of an opinion is I don't have to justify it beyond my own personal belief. So, by all means offer a counter opinion or argument, but to claim my post is unjustified is silly and repressive in nature. To elaborate on my opinion on the matter is that there are plenty of jobs to go around, but people are to lazy or lack any kind of motivation to aspire to obtaining one

You're so wrong. You obviously haven't been out of work for a while. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

No, I have never been unemployed. I am educated, I know the right people and I am motivated. Those are the things I attribute to my success.

Everyone has a role to play. Everyone position needs to be filled, it's people's lack of willingness to fill those roles that they don't care for or is not to their taste which sets them back.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

If that's the case then please tell me why I applied for several hundred jobs and out of all those prospects, only three of them had the common decency to reply and tell me that I wasn't suitable for the position?

There was a forth employer who replied and I now work for them. It was a long haul and I am grateful for what I have but you really don't realise how tough it is for people who don't have connections like you do.

I'm very pleased that you have a secure life. Unfortunately, not everyone has what you have.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Yes there are enough Jobs to replace Welfare...

However due to mismanagement of funds the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off... Please contact reliant to restore your service..

If business trained certain parts better and maximized profits potentials, the government was reorganized at the lower and middle levels, and the US military was more efficient the growth would supply the jobs

you could legitimately phase down the handouts by 70% -- over a single term of a president... in two terms you should be able to get maybe 15 to 10% more....

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
No, there is not enough jobs. A growing population versus a decreasing manufacturing base is the root of the problem.

We no longer export common goods that the world wants. Our iconic Americana is now made somewhere else...blue jeans, tennis shoes, etc. Most of our electronics is made somewhere else. We are becoming a service based country and that is not sustainable either. people are struggling for a slice of an ever dwindling pie.

The best thing that could happen is a move in a direction that many will disagree with. Legalize everything. Reduce the regulations, certifications, licensing, etc so people can get out, be creative and make a dollar however they can. true freedom and Liberty can go a long way in solving this issue.

Manufacturing will decline until either the third world countries we are now taking advantage of start demanding higher standards of living. Or we return to stiff tariffs on incoming goods from slave wage based nations. There is also the imbalance of environmental issues. Somethings that we really-really like are dirty and nasty to make and that is just the facts. We can allow those things t be made out of sight and out of mind, or we can work to bring those things home where we have a better capacity to keep them as clean as is possible.

It's going to take a major shift in thinking to "employ" the whole world...Sadly, I don't think we as a species are ready for that yet.
edit on 11/11/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Perhaps you are seeking employment beyond your qualifications.

Perhaps the market is already saturated with potential employees for your given field.

Perhaps you need to reevaluate your application process. If you are unable even to get to an interview, your either not qualified or your application/resume does not do you justice.

There is a job out there for you, you may be looking in the wrong place.

Edit: I see you eventually got a job. My point is far to many people are unwilling to go through what you did to get the job.
edit on 11-11-2012 by BaneOfQuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Who are you talking to? Please clarify.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaneOfQuo
This generation is bloody lazy.

That is the crux of the problem, apathy and lethargy are through the roof.

Why work when I can have stuff giving to me on someone else's dime.

The number of people looking to take advantage of the system is growing.

Sickening.

You my friend, this is exactly why i made this thread.

Your response is out of complete ignorance and seriously lacking in respect for the millions of people that are trying to make a difference and be a succesful contributor of society.

Your ignorance (even though you say you are educated?) Is the same type of ignorance that has kept us stagnated to the point where we are. It is because of people like you that are quick to call everyone lazy and judge everyone by the actions of the few, that give you a big head and make you think you are better than everyone else. And don't say that you do not think that way, because it is obvious.

Keep pointing the finger at the " lazy poor Guy/gal", it is doing wonders in helping to find the solutions to the problem, oh great one of wisdom and wealth.

Do me a favor and look in the mirror and say, "the world does not revolve around me, I am just a puissant just like the rest of my fellow human beings, especially the poor because I have no real wealth and power to persuade upon people".

Your attitude is a joke, and unfortunately the only one laughing is going to be you when you are about to kick the bucket and realize you are nothing but a drop in the big pond like the rest of us.

If this seems harsh then good. You need a reality check.

To the rest of the responses by ATS members.

I thank you for your input and I can agree with almost all of you. Instead of making 20 replies that say, I agree, I gave you a star.

I think it is quite evident to those who want to peek outside their own little world(such a poster I will not name), we are in a bigger pickle that far outreaches the " Wellfare state is killing us" argument.

It is obviosly decades of poor legislation and free trade treaties that are impacting us the way it is now.

I do not have the answer, but I can tell you it is not the fault of theperson trying to make it as best as they can and it is not good enough.

Thank you for your replies.
edit on 11-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: phone spelling

edit on 11-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: tool out the word "witless" i dont know where it camefrom

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

My apologies it was to you. I missed the part on you getting the position with the fourth company and I edited my post to correct.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

You had me so heated that i forgot to ask the question that is in the thread title.

If all of the "lazy people" suddenly decide to get off of welfare, will there be enough jobs to sustain that many "lazies"?

It seems you have he answers so please tell me.

Where does the jobs come from?

Do the math. It does not add up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join