It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there enough jobs to replace welfare?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I am just curious because all I read about here on ATS is the "welfare state" , and how people are tired of paying "their" taxes to help out people in the time if need.

It really makes me wonder what if we had no welfare. Would there be enough jobs in his crappy economy to sustain people well enough to make a living off of "ordinary" jobs.

Could people, tens of millions of people, make it?

I think not. I think that the ones who bitch and complain about it would rather fall over people who are begging for help because the crappy job they have is not even covering expenses.

I saw an old report on jobs along time ago that they were stating that 700,000 jobs were created. We would need ten times that to even absorb a catastrophic influx of people seeking employment.

I am sorry I am unable to link anything because I am typing this on a phone. But I can tell you that I know for a
fact that the economy does not have that many jobs available.

I would like to hear/read your thoughts on this topic?

Where are the jobs that are suppose to sustain peoples livelihood supposed to come from? This is the day and age of outsourcing to cheaper labor countries.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I have to step out for a bit.

Feel free to add your input.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
WELL, since the "job creators" have ENJOYED their little Bush tax breaks, for so long, you would think that there would be JOBS EVERYWHERE based on the claims from the Right in regards to how taxes will kill jobs!!

BUT WHERE ARE THE JOBS????????

BUT... there are LOTS OF JOBS and a GREAT economy when the taxes on the wealthy are at its highest levels as shown in times past. Yes, it can be researched and found as FACT!!!!! When the wealthy pay little in taxes, the rest of the country SUFFER. When they pay their FAIR SHARE, the country moves FORWARDS!! FACT!!

Thats a FACT!!!

edit on 11-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There are Not enough jobs to replace welfare.

Even if there were, they would not be filled by most who are on welfare.

Doesn't matter. Congress has continued to allow US companies to export jobs for decades.

We'll never get an economic base reestablished if we keep all our jobs overseas.

edit on 11-11-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Someday the last computer will be built.... Someday all products will be so good at what they do there wont be a need to buy another one.

The death of capitalism is a certainty.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think it's faulty thinking to think of jobs as a finite number of things that are just out there to be gotten, and once they're taken up there's no more. Jobs don't exist in a vacuum, they are created by people who invent new things. If there aren't any more jobs, use your ingenuity and invent one.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Public works! We desperately need to rebuild our infrastructure and modernize our transit system, ect ect. This could be work in exchange for welfare. I have always believed that one should work in order to recieve welfare. Working for what you have gives people a sense of worth, and accomplishment and at the same time much needed rebuilding of America. I see it as a win win plus its keeps people employed and relevant, as well as teaching new on the job skills. Why not that?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

My Friend , your question is Bigger than maybe you Imagined.

Because the Answer is a Hard Truth that many Americans will have a Hard Time Accepting. That is that we now are Part of a Bigger Global Economy, With a Global Workforce, Global Banking and Global Corporations. Unemployment will now be Higher than what we Used to think was Acceptable, Not Due to ANY Party in Power, but to the Changing World Structure.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

In France you work a 37.5 hour week, period. This forces a work/life balance.

One article suggests that Americans spend ~30 extra hours per month. Assuming that is on top of a 40-45 hour work week, you are talking about 1/4 of one person that should be working versus one person doing 1/4 person more work than required.

With the pressure on for employees to stay connected after normal work hours, attaining a work-life balance is still far from reality for most Americans

A recent survey by Good Technology found that some 80 percent of the 1,000 Americans polled said they spend time checking emails and answering phone calls after hours.

In the end, workers spend an average of seven extra hours per week -- or 30 hours each month -- on work-related issues, notes Digital Journal.

Source

You don't need welfare. We need to balance life appropriately. Corporations keep less people employed because citizens will work harder to "have a job".

When more people are working and making income, more small and medium businesses will be required to support the services in the community.

Start with labor laws and change the requirement for corporations to make absurd profits and we'll be on our way to healthy America.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Go online and do some research and you will find that there are literally thousands of jobs that cannot be filled due to a lack of skilled applicants....people who are unqualified educationally and/or socially.

Here is just one article you might find interesting: www.nytimes.com... all&_r=0

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
People who lose their jobs want to start making the same they were, and people hiring aren't paying. Browsing job boards and so forth there is a lot of jobs, but they require a specialized job and skill set most Americans don't have, and can't afford to get. Seriously, why would a maintenance person in an industrial facility(basic maintenance, stuff my 2nd grade educated grandfather performed) require a masters in mechanical engineering, and 6 different certifications.

Employers know its an employers market, they can pick and choose, and pay crap for the position. General labor jobs, stuff that is needed for infrastructure repair pays barely over minimum wage, with no benefits.

Its a sad state that our country is in, and no matter who is in office, or in congress or whatever, I am not sure it can be fixed.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Corporate Tax rates have remained close to the same level (They went up a hair) since a short time after Ronald Reagan took office over 30 years ago. They went up on the high end by 1% under Daddy Bush and were still unchanged at 15-35% when I wrote the thread linked in my signature. It shows Tax rates and market conditions for every President back to Dwight D Eisenhower. In fact, times of much higher taxes have seen worse economic performance over all.

Factually, it is what it is and it's in black and white numbers.....just as it has been to look at for years. Nothing new or changed here except a very different way interpreting it. Taxes were low under Clinton for the most part with Individual tax brackets seeing a 4% higher level than the nation sees now. Generally speaking, little or nothing changed on either Corp or Individual since Reagan set rates following Carter.

Despite that, the 80's are described as a roaring time for the economy and the 90's under Clinton were not only very strong but Bill Clinton managed to bring the annual budget into green SURPLUS which carried right into 2001 and Bush's term. It took the curse of the burning Bush to burn the economy........an tax rates had absolutely nothing to do with it. History proves that out, repeatedly.
edit on 11-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Certainly, here in the UK, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO ROUND. We need people on welfare/benefits, otherwise we would be tripping over dead bodies in the street.

Simple fact of life I'm afraid.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Certainly, here in the UK, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO ROUND. .

Then create a job.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
In the end, jobs are not the problem. What is the problem is the price of goods and services compared to the minimum wage you are guaranteed to receive.

Unemployment is only at ~8%. Then why are there millions of working Americans receiving welfare and food stamps? It's because of the wages compared to cost of living.

You cannot survive off of $8/hr in today's world. Hell, $8/hr would not cover the gas to get back and forth to work.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This generation is bloody lazy.

That is the crux of the problem, apathy and lethargy are through the roof.

Why work when I can have stuff giving to me on someone else's dime.

The number of people looking to take advantage of the system is growing.

Sickening.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BaneOfQuo

Most people that receive assistance have jobs.....but the jobs do not pay well.

That entire "lazy" argument is just not true. Sure there are some bums that sit around and take advantage, but the majority of the people work.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

That entire "lazy" argument is just not true. Sure there are some bums that sit around and take advantage, but the majority of the people work.

The argument remains valid until not a single person takes advantage of the system and I don't see that happening sir.

I am sure these lazy sods have jobs, but its like shift work greeting people at the mall while they sit in a chair.

Modern convenience has created a epidemic of laziness in my opinion.
edit on 11-11-2012 by BaneOfQuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Certainly, here in the UK, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO ROUND. .

Then create a job.

I have a job, I'm an employee. How can I create a job when I am busy busting my balls in my own job?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The reason we don't have enough jobs and why some jobs do not pay enough money to allow some people to make ends meet...is because we have State and Federal Jobs and entire click of these self anointed Budget Black Holes draining State and Federal Funds to the extent that it makes EVERYTHING more expensive.

All that Stimulus Money going to so few. Split Infinity

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join