It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual canine behaviour

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Even though temperamental and considered lazy, cats are amazing animals also.

My cat recognizes words such as "food" or "treats" as he would meow and run towards his bowl if I mention these words. He also knows the words "outside" as in does he want to go outside and he recognizes the names of my children when I mention their name.

He also knows exactly, to the minute, when the school bus is about to arrive with my son on it. he would go the door and sit there or peer through the window just minutes before the bus arrives. He does this almost every day.

So, is this cat intuition? Cat knowledge? I am not sure but they are special creatures.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

I just could not read any further without saying that you are so very right! My baby is in need of surgery that I don't know how I am going to afford and he still is so full of love. Blessed bundles of love are our doggies.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I've never had a dog that looked anywhere but at the tip of my finger. How do you get a dog to look where you point? The cats the same I point, she looks at my finger.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Obviously you never seen a dog that has been abused. They do not trust 100% nor do they forgive when abused and they dont give love to the abuser. Dogs that bite or are agressive have been treated badly usually. although it happens that a dog is just bad from the start. We had a baby puppy that was totally agressive and bit from the start. She was never a friendly dog. We took good care of her and never hurt her but she was still a bad dog. But back on point, when a dog is abused it shows fear of most humans and will bite if cornered.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I have a very young siamese kitten. She is about four months old now. She breeps and brups but does not meow. She has a little toy that is a stuffed ball with a tail looking thing but is not really any real animal. When I see it I say bring me the toy and she goes "Breep", and gets the toy. One day I said Mia get the breep, and she brought me the toy. Thats smart but I dont know whos smart it is. Mine or the cats. Do I speak cat ? Did Mia teach me a cat word?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

My Mia will give a high five and plays fetch too. She's the second cat I had that does that.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

They need to be able to fly in order to mate. I have a pair but they are in a vertical cage and cannot fly far enough to get it on. Just as well, I hate cleaning up the seed hulls from the floor and it gets everywhere!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
is it unusual that it buried it with its nose? ,dont they usually paw dirt ?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Isn't it common to bury the dead to prevent from disease? I suggest the dog was acting on instinct... and whilst it seems nice to project our feeling of respect for the dead - it seems little more than projection - although to fence sit, I do believe animals are very capable of empathy.

Well it is common for humans to do this but I wouldn't think it would be for canines. If this were true of dogs then you would then have to admit they have cognitive reasoning, and understand disease and that correlation with dead bodies. To me, that scenario is going even further than just burying another of their own kind.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11

I love animals, especially dogs but wish people would stop anthropomorphizing them. By doing so they are placing animals at a level of relation that leads to mostly damaging things, damaging to the animals and to the human even at a psychological level...

There is greater beauty in the simpler natural animal, beyond any expectation that they think and behave as we.

Anyone aware on the recent push from big pharma to start giving our personal companions (pets) mind altering drugs ? In place of understanding animal behavior, a provide the necessary attention and time we will soon have them all in a stupor. This shouldn't be too strange for many we also are doing the same to kids...

Why are these automatically human behaviors? We anthropomorphize because that is what we understand and equate it to. It's the same if you did not understand inches, and converted it to centimeters, or kg to lbs.

Anything that is conscious has emotions. It has to, to live. Fear and love are basic emotions, every other emotion is based off of them. Who knows how deep the rabbit holes goes on emotions within living creatures...

Pred...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

Obviously you never seen a dog that has been abused. They do not trust 100% nor do they forgive when abused and they dont give love to the abuser. Dogs that bite or are agressive have been treated badly usually. although it happens that a dog is just bad from the start. We had a baby puppy that was totally agressive and bit from the start. She was never a friendly dog. We took good care of her and never hurt her but she was still a bad dog. But back on point, when a dog is abused it shows fear of most humans and will bite if cornered.

Oh I have and I know exactly what your talking about, but some animals can be harshly abused and are still living and have no aggression or fear whatsoever.

That just proves how complex dogs emotions really are.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
dogs and i believe most other animals bond to one another just like humans.
see this video from chile, where one dog risks his life to save another.

now that's a buddy
edit on 12-11-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

what a crazy coincidence what are the odds, you posting this up on here and there is someone I know commenting a few times on that video.

weirdness.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I was thinking that there may be a few reasons why he buried it. First reason could be the dog considered that his territory. Or it could have sensed the deadly bacteria's and knew it should be buried.

Those are just two of many reasons why he did it. The problem is, We cannot think like a dog so i suppose we may never know. None the less a great story and an inspiring thought that maybe animals are More like us then first thought. Finding a way to break the communication gap is already on it's way. Will we achieve it? We can have higher hopes in thinking we will, Due to the great advancement in computers. I was just reading something about tapping into neurons in the brain and communicate with a computer. Pretty cool stuff.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Source

Southland Times photographer Doug Field captured these images at the weekend of his dog, burying another dog.

Field, who was at Oreti Beach, near Invercargill, was walking his dog June when they came across dead hares and a dead dog.

What happened next was unusual, Field said.

June, ignored the hares, but spent the next 10 minutes using her nose, to flick sand up to bury the dead dog.

''There was quite a reverence in what she did. I've never seen another dog do that before.

''I'd love to hear from an animal behaviour expert to find out if this is common,'' Field said.

Well, ain't this amazing?

The fact that a dog buries his own is a revelation in and of itself.

To think of the amount of consciousness it takes to bury the dead, and then how some people treat these animals is insane.

It a beautiful thing, nature.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

"Ah, everything is going the way I foresaw it."

-The Dude

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by papazen
This whole thread, its stories facts and arguments should be packaged and sent to China to all those people that defend dog eating as the same thing as cows , sheep etc,
They are not the same thing and never will be because it took us thousands of years to make them part of our family and now there seems to be cross species behaviors . We dont kill and eat our family members end of argument. China. now in the winter is when they start eating a lot of it . If you need protein eat some lentils.

ive heard pig owners say they owned pigs smarter or equally smart and loyal as any dog they've known... and i just ate bacon for lunch.
edit on 12-11-2012 by Jay Electronica because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Oreti Beach, near Invercargill,
they came across dead hares and a dead dog.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I would be very concerned as to why
the dead animals ? Toxic water ? plutonium from Japan ?
As for the dogs behavior, seems nature is more civilized
than humans these days *sigh*

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Your video really really touched me
I have never seen a dog react liked this. Thanks for posting it.

Here's another video of the same researchers of the Max Planck institute from Germany which VoidHawk mentioned on page 1. The same researcher even compared dogs with chimpanzees.

My father has a 1 year old female border collie, and she is incredibly smart. He often goes in the woods with her, riding a bike and she in front of him, whenever they cross a road she looks back at him like asking "where to go?" And he tells her "left" "right" "straight ahead" and she perfectly understands! She's so smart...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Why are these automatically human behaviors? We anthropomorphize because that is what we understand and equate it to.

I don't understand "these" in the context of my post (since I do not enumerate any behavior), I will assume it deals with the need we have for anthropomorphizing creatures. I agree with you view that it is because its our simpler basic model. In any case we should aspire to higher level for consciousness and jump from assuming and expecting human behavior from non-humans to full understanding of the animals' greater beauty in being different...

Anything that is conscious has emotions. It has to, to live. Fear and love are basic emotions, every other emotion is based off of them

I have no such certainty on that aspect, it also falls on how one define consciousness. Since most animals can't really plan ahead in time, functioning in basically goal oriented way, this makes their emotions also more raw and simpler. That again does not match (or should be expected to match) human emotions. As for love, that in itself is a problem, I do not believe love is a single emotion but a bouquet that even fluctuates from human to human, in animals it isn't nearly as complex not even in our fellow primates.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Hello everyone!

I've been a long time lurker but am posting for the first time today because I too know how special animals are. I have two beautiful, loyal dogs and two extremely lovable cats that I just can't get enough of.

The intuition of animals is truly remarkable and I've seen it all! Video's of dogs dragging wounded dogs from oncoming traffic, stories of cows who's babies are taken from them in those first days that CRY for their calls in agony.....

If only we, the human animal, had as much appreciation for life and one another. We live in sad times my friends! Very sad times.....

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Even the dogs are evolving in a short time we're here, yet the masses of people are still sleep!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join