It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual canine behaviour

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I love animals: Dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, etc... But I have a cat that was rescued from starving inside an abandoned house. Apparently, the owners locked this kitten in the closet and left him there to die. When I picked him up from the rescue group this tiny kitten meowed like crazy then attached himself to my finger and started nursing. We bonded immediately.

My cat will sit and shake hands on command. He will fetch. He loves people and shows off in front of my female friends. He thinks he's a dog, lol. But he also stopped me from leaving the house with my stove still on. He hopped up on the counter next to it and meowed until I came over and saw what I did.

He's truly an amazing cat. And he's my kid, too. I think all animals have this capacity, not just dogs.
edit on 12-11-2012 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I'm amazed by the budgies I got yesterday they are a breeding pair.

I put them in the aviary and found the hen at the bottom of the cage and the cock at bottom of the cage.
He was showing great concern for his female mate, he wasn't leaving her side.
Amazing I have only known them since yesterday great budgies.

Turns out she don't like the aviary so her and him are in a breeding/flight cage now.
edit on 12-11-2012 by amraks because:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Agree with all. My dogs are my best friends and I just love to watch them doing their natural thing.

I have two Siberian Husky's and they both exhibit amazing pack behavior and incredible sense. I always know when someone is coming to my house, typcially 5 to 10 minutes before the person even arrives. I always know when snow is coming. I always know when something just isn't right...

My male dog has the ability to find the smallest of injuries on a person and he frantically attempts to lick the wound. A few weeks ago I had a wicked bad head cold and he was going crazy, sniffing all around my face and head trying to find the wound.

In the snow they like to burrough and they certainly like to pull although I usually don't let them! A 60 lb husky can pull around 1,000 lb's for up to 3 miles.

My female is the Alpha between the two of them and I'll watch her eat while the male sits quietly waiting for her to finish, and give him permission to eat. They each have their own food bowl but the male simply refuses to eat until she let's him.

And people call dogs dumb....

I agree, anyone who hurts a dog, or any animal for that matter should be punished harshly!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

First, great thread OP, thanks for sharing.

Dogs are the only species that will love YOU more than they love their self.
I must respectfully disagree with you on this point. Dogs are not the only species to do this, just the one we hear the most about. All animal species, including human are capable of self-sacrifice when they love enough.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
ok, that was suprising to say the least, i thought it would be some kind of failvid from youtube ... instead i see a sad site, a dead dog

its amazing tho how some animals have respect for theyre dead

and the love of a dog, i heared (on ats i think) about it not being love, but some form of stockholm syndrome

hehe

edit on 12-11-2012 by pheniks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I love animals, especially dogs but wish people would stop anthropomorphizing them. By doing so they are placing animals at a level of relation that leads to mostly damaging things, damaging to the animals and to the human even at a psychological level...

There is greater beauty in the simpler natural animal, beyond any expectation that they think and behave as we.

Anyone aware on the recent push from big pharma to start giving our personal companions (pets) mind altering drugs ? In place of understanding animal behavior, a provide the necessary attention and time we will soon have them all in a stupor. This shouldn't be too strange for many we also are doing the same to kids...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This whole thread, its stories facts and arguments should be packaged and sent to China to all those people that defend dog eating as the same thing as cows , sheep etc,
They are not the same thing and never will be because it took us thousands of years to make them part of our family and now there seems to be cross species behaviors . We dont kill and eat our family members end of argument. China. now in the winter is when they start eating a lot of it . If you need protein eat some lentils.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's instinctive for dogs to bury food. Judging by the size of the dead dog I imagine it put out more odor than the rabbits.

Such strong smells could attract predators the dog may have been more concerned about keeping his master safe than respecting the dead dog.

Border collies are the smartest dogs. Ranchers in my neck of the woods use them for cattle. There's two that are so dedicated it's hard for them to stop working.

Sometimes I see them sitting on the side of the road. It's usually because they spotted more cattle on the ride home and couldn't resist. They instinctively jump out before they realize what they've done. They sit with head hanging low, no playing or goofing around, they just sit there in misery waiting for dad. Sometimes it's awhile before the rancher comes back he has to backtrack but they know to stay on the side of the road.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

That is a very logical observation. Makes sense

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by papazen

I occasionally come across carcasses in my ramblings. There's always signs of predation so I clear out fast.

I walked up on about a dozen vultures feeding on a dead cow. They aren't typically seen in my area but somehow manage to show up whenever there's a meal. Personally I think the ravens are the town criers of the animal world.

Mountain lions won't travel to get at a couple dead rabbits but the stronger scent of a dead calf sure brings them.

It's a good idea to stay away from dead stuff in the wild for many reasons.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Isn't it common to bury the dead to prevent from disease? I suggest the dog was acting on instinct... and whilst it seems nice to project our feeling of respect for the dead - it seems little more than projection - although to fence sit, I do believe animals are very capable of empathy.

I was thinking the same thing. Dogs DO show emotion, and DO mourn the dead, but they also bury their dead (some will also bury their feces if they feel their "area" (backyard, pen, etc.) is growing too overrun by poop piles from a lazy caretaker.) Why not bury the rabbits as well? Disease less commonly crosses species. It would be more instinctual to bury canine dead than non-canine dead. There could be a degree of mourning/empathy displayed here, but even as an over-the-top dog lover, with 3 of my own, I think this was more about anti-disease instinct.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by avocadoshag
On the other hand, a dog will bury excess food to be eaten later.

Thank God the dismissive "nothing to see here, move along" perspective was posted on page 1 with lots of star support.

Wouldnt be ATS without it.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

No.
My loving cat, Sugar, passed away not long ago. I held her in my arms as the veterinarian injected her. She was old and her liver was failing. She couldn't even stand up, so they estimated there was no way she could survive the surgery. It pained me so much. But I had to make the call. I loved her too much.
Every day she would wait for me to come home. Sugar would sit by the door and the second I came home, she would follow me around the house. Room to room. She wasn't hungry or anything, she just loved my company. She did this for ten years. Every SINGLE day. She loved me unconditionally and just wanted to know that I was OK. When a door was closed, she would wait by that door. She was my guardian angel. And I'll never forget her.

So, yes dogs do love, don't say they are the only animals that do love.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
dogs and i believe most other animals bond to one another just like humans.
see this video from chile, where one dog risks his life to save another.

now that's a buddy
edit on 12-11-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

Iguanas are known for "dying of a broken heart". My one healthy one passed five days after his ill buddy. Sad day, that one.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I think it's a little too late ! Humans created dogs by domesticating wolves eons ago and cross bred them to suit his needs . I don't think chihuahuas would last too long as a species in the wild !

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DovahPrettyKeen

No.
My loving cat, Sugar, passed away not long ago. I held her in my arms as the veterinarian injected her. She was old and her liver was failing. She couldn't even stand up, so they estimated there was no way she could survive the surgery. It pained me so much. But I had to make the call. I loved her too much.
Every day she would wait for me to come home. Sugar would sit by the door and the second I came home, she would follow me around the house. Room to room. She wasn't hungry or anything, she just loved my company. She did this for ten years. Every SINGLE day. She loved me unconditionally and just wanted to know that I was OK. When a door was closed, she would wait by that door. She was my guardian angel. And I'll never forget her.

So, yes dogs do love, don't say they are the only animals that do love.

I have another cat, Josie, who always has to get on my lap every time I sit down. She follows me around, too, and meows for me to pick her up. She is a needy one, lol, but I love her to death. She has the goofiest expressions on her face when she's asleep and she even sleeps with her eyes open!

I am very sorry for your loss of Sugar. She knew you loved her very much.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Y'all noticing any similarities in the animals in the vid and photo? BORDER COLLIES. Smartest dogs in the world, IMO. We have two. My Atticus will always rat out the cats in the house when they are up to no good. He jumps up next to me and buries his head in my arms as if saying, "I can't bear to watch what terrible things the cats are doing." Makes me get up every time. And if someone is crying they both whine and offer paws of condolence. Amazing dogs! I mean think about it. My dog knows and recognizes bad cat behavior. Be it tearing up a bag or getting into food or knocking something over. Crazy

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

The same could be said of most domesticated species, even plants. But that was not the problem that I was pointing out, my lines was more in regards to thinking (hoping and expecting) that an animal will have human traits, the best suitable for that would be other primates (even so there is a large divide in what we can expect).

I was referring to dressing dogs and pigs up, using pets as substitute for kids in an almost pathological way. I'm not against people using a pet to train the responsibility of having kids but an animal has a very distinct mentality that should not be evaluated by human standards their motivations, adaptations and capabilities are completely distinct.

A dog's love is not the same as the love of a person there is no functional rationalization, it is due mostly to the fact that trait the submission to a pack mentality and to the alpha, this is an evolutionary trait that doomed dogs to be abused by humans. I say abused because any symbiotic relation that we may had was lost eons ago, even in a tribal setup like the Native Americans dogs were already in an exploitative situation. Any species that we have domesticated have ultimately only benefited from a genetic dissemination standpoint and even then some have suffered hugely due to our hubris, especially dogs, there are breeds that due to consanguinity live constantly in pain and have huge genetically defects from an heightened probability of cancer to other malices...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

Originally posted by avocadoshag
On the other hand, a dog will bury excess food to be eaten later.

You mean they will use a cool place to store food instead of leaving it out in open air to spoil?

Or are you surprised they haven't invented refrigeration yet?

Khar

edit on 12-11-2012 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join