It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien 'Horned-face Dinosaur' discovered in Canada

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
It had a beak because Dinosaurs were giant birds and earth has been moved from a different location where there wasn't as much gravity, so things were bigger. Gravity is related to harm. Murder is like a dwarf star kind of gravity. ie. the Fall.
edit on 11-11-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

No.

Dinosaur sizes were possible because the atmosphere held a larger percent of oxygen at that time.
Dinosaurs are not giant birds. Some of them are the ancestors of birds. There is no evidence gravity was significantly different 65 million years ago, and gravity isn't really affected by where you sit in the solar system. It has to do with mass.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SageBeno

Other way around.

"Most people believe that birds evolved from dinosaurs, but that’s all based on the architecture of the bones," said John Asara, director of the mass spectrometry core facility at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical School and HMS instructor in pathology, who sequenced the protein fragments over the course of a year and a half using highly sensitive mass spectrometry methods. "This allows you to get the chance to say, ‘Wait, they really are related because their sequences are related.’ We didn’t get enough sequences to definitively say that, but what sequences we got support that idea."

In another study appearing in the same issue of Science, Mary Schweitzer, of North Carolina State University, and colleagues found that extracts of T. rex bone reacted with antibodies to chicken collagen, further suggesting the presence of birdlike protein in the dinosaur bones.

www.science20.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The beak makes sense, but I don't understand the huge shield,...path clearing or defense or....?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

I've always heard it described as being used for defense. It makes it harder for any dinosaur attacking it to bite at the vulnerable spot where the skull meets the neck.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

I've always heard it described as being used for defense. It makes it harder for any dinosaur attacking it to bite at the vulnerable spot where the skull meets the neck.

Roger that, but these horns at the top are huge. I can't help but to believe the Canadian specie must have been a tremendous territorial fighter. I imagine with his low stance and power he must have been an extremely powerful foe. Just beautiful in design really.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

For the same reason they still have "beaks" today.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Also for sparring. Todays counterpart is the rhino. They have the same plate that extends back atop the skull. When they fight they face each other, lower their noses and push and butt their enormous weight at each other. Their massive frontal armor protects from getting gored as long as they face each other. One becomes more vulnerable once it turns aside.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Pretty impressive discovery. One of the most awesome triceratops I've seen.

I have a question though. Triceratops was a 18 foot long 2 ton vegetarian. But it had a beak. WHat would it need a beak for. Most birds that have a beak eat nuts that need cracking. I always figured they just had long tongues like giraffs but why evolve the beak if the animal was going to be so big. What good would the beak have been?

Maybe fruit? You have given me something to look up.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by StareDad
Why do man have nippels? Would be the same type of question

No, the same question would be why do humans have nipples. You should know the answer. As to why men have nipples, it's also easy to answer, but is not the same question at all.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The only way to know for sure is to see if it tasted like chicken....

I'm guessing.... yes?

Gotta love Star Trek though. Unless you are wearing a red shirt. Which is why I go shirtless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join