It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant sonic boom felt and heard in Indianapolis Indiana(meteor? mass devastation Info blocade

page: 108
<< 105  106  107    109 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ikonoklast
It does seem like the most likely scenario to me, though the intensity and effects of the explosion boggles the mind compared to other gas explosions in homes that have been referenced in this thread.

The intensity and effects of the explosion may differ simply because of the difference between explosions that are accidental, and explosions that are intentional.

In most accidental gas explosions (the majority), the explosion is a deflagration, which is a sub-sonic combustion wave. That is because the ignition of the explosion was a weak source like a hot surface or a spark. Deflagrations can cause blast waves of up to 8psi.

However, in intentional gas explosions, the explosion can be a detonation, which is a supersonic combustion wave. Detonation flame propagations are 30x more powerful, and can cause blast waves between 215 psi to 290 psi.

To put that into perspective, as I posted earlier in the topic, a 2 to 4 psi blast wave is enough to collapse most residential homes and structures. A 10 psi blast wave is enough to destroy concrete buildings. An blast wave of about 8 psi can travel about 60 feet before it reduces to a 2.5 psi blast wave, which is just far enough to destroy houses that are at least 60 feet apart.

www.gexcon.com...
edit on 21-11-2012 by illuminated0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
News update on how many homes have to be demolished apparently due to damage from the blast.

SOU RCE: Indystar - Demolition orders issued for 33 homes in Richmond Hill

The Department of Code Enforcement has ordered the demolition of 33 damaged homes in the Richmond Hills subdivision following a Nov. 10 explosion.

That would represent more than a quarter of the homes in the addition, where an explosion killed an Indianapolis couple, levelling their home as well as another next door. Damage was reported to dozens of others.

Four houses at the center of the blast will be demolished later. They are still off-limits now because they are evidence in the investigation.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Why would they blow up the house to kill 2 random people? (see my last posts for some positions he held.....She taught.)
Why would they blow up the house to kill the owners when they knew it was empty?
Why is insurance fraud so hard to believe?
edit on 21-11-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

"Homicide" takes several forms and includes unintentional killings. "Murder" is usually an intentional crime.

This case probably was insurance fraud, which is a felony, and homicides that occur during the commission of a felony may constitute "murder" because of the felony murder rule.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The local gas company in Indianapolis has released a statement about gas usage at the home that is the center of the investigation...

SOURCE : Fox59 - Citizens Energy responds to reports of high gas usage in south side home explosion

Indianapolis

Citizens Energy has released a statement in response to indications of high gas usage at the home on Fieldfare Way that exploded on November 10.

The statement reads as follows:

Several media outlets have inquired about reports suggesting the meter at the home which exploded had a high reading on November 10th. These reports are inaccurate. Citizens' gas meters do not have the ability to monitor daily usage. Citizens did test the gas meter on October 26th and the reading was normal. Specific days, however, were not tested.

Interestingly, this seemingly contradicts what other investigators have said and even the same news story goes on to seemingly contradict this:

Investigators have determined that an intentional release of natural gas several hours before the explosion set the stage for the blast.

Sources also told Fox59 that investigators have evidence pinpointing the spike in excessive gas usage to mid-afternoon that day.

The spike coincides with the account of a neighbor who told Fox59 News that he spotted a white van—which he described as resident Mark Leonard’s vehicle—leaving the home after two unidentified men were spotted walking away quickly from the house.

Maybe they have some other way to measure a spike at a certain point in time, it's not clear from the news story. Or maybe the reporter didn't understand what someone said and misinterpreted something.

Previously the gas company had allegedly said that the meter indicated there was no abnormal increase in gas usage (which seemingly contradicts both their newest statement and what the authorities are saying). Maybe they are just trying to avoid liability.

The news story also discusses who was picked up, questioned, and released:

That van was later seized at the Cavalier Conference center where Leonard is employed by the owners to monitor the property of the abandoned motel at Thompson Road and U.S. 31 on the south side.

Investigators are seeking the men seen by the neighbor traveling in that van.

Leonard’s brother Robert and David Gill, a longtime associate, were questioned and released by investigators Wednesday.

Apparently no one has been charged yet.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

I am sure they can estimate gas usage per day, and detect a significant increase.

They would look at the average monthly gas usage for the same month in previous years. They would divide the hundred cubic-feet (CCF) of gas used in previous months by 30 to get an average CCF per day estimate for that month, and even adjust for weather conditions. Since this happened on November 10th, they would multiply the average CCF per day by 10 to get an estimate on how much gas is usually used by the first 10 days of November. They would then compare that with the current reading, and if the value is significantly higher than average it is safe to assume foul play. It wouldn't be 100% accurate, but it would be a good lead.

The media often has problems with how they word their articles and reports, and people who are looking for conspiracies usually get caught up in semantics. I see that alllllll the time and it really annoys me to no end. I am willing to be they were told one thing, but worded it differently on the report.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

The rotten egg smell and the smell of sulpher is the same smell. LOL.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Good God. As if the deaths were not a terrible enough thing to have happened to this town, the destruction of the homes of thirty three families is an insult to this injury. I hope the town and those affected can pull together and look after one another.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium

Originally posted by Hijinx
Has any one thought this could be a vindictive ex-owners "F-you" retaliation to a home foreclosure?

It was the first thing that popped in my head. I hope no one was hurt.

Come on you don't take out a hole neiberhood because you want to tell the
Bank to F***** OFF

If you're normal you dont but if your crazy you might.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

Also, most people wouldn't have a clue how big an explosion would be. When I make bombs, I never know how big the kaboom will be until I set it off. I hide behind my gunrange backstop just in case every time

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminated0ne

I am sure they can estimate gas usage per day, and detect a significant increase.

They would look at the average monthly gas usage for the same month in previous years. They would divide the hundred cubic-feet (CCF) of gas used in previous months by 30 to get an average CCF per day estimate for that month, and even adjust for weather conditions. Since this happened on November 10th, they would multiply the average CCF per day by 10 to get an estimate on how much gas is usually used by the first 10 days of November. They would then compare that with the current reading, and if the value is significantly higher than average it is safe to assume foul play. It wouldn't be 100% accurate, but it would be a good lead.

The media often has problems with how they word their articles and reports, and people who are looking for conspiracies usually get caught up in semantics. I see that alllllll the time and it really annoys me to no end. I am willing to be they were told one thing, but worded it differently on the report.

Funny because my gas bill has a graphic every month showing the gas usage by month for the previous 12 months so you can compare month to month what you use. Of course I do not live in this municipality so I do not know what their gas bills look like. Apparently on ours you can tell at least monthly usage.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You give Gizmo a bad name friend!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Lol what?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

Originally posted by Trillium

Originally posted by Hijinx
Has any one thought this could be a vindictive ex-owners "F-you" retaliation to a home foreclosure?

It was the first thing that popped in my head. I hope no one was hurt.

Come on you don't take out a hole neiberhood because you want to tell the
Bank to F***** OFF

If you're normal you dont but if your crazy you might.

Just a guess, but if that's what this was (and/or if it was insurance fraud), they probably seriously underestimated the level of destruction.

That doesn't excuse it, of course, but I doubt they meant to take out the neighborhood.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

That is great, but if they compare November with October they would get mixed results because it is generally warmer in October than it is in November which means more heater and hot water use (more gas) in November when its colder. That is why they compare with the same months in previous years...

Some cities use "SmartMeters" or other variants of "Automated Meter Readers (AMR)" that track daily gas usage, and even automatically update via internet, and you can track your usage day to day. In fact, Citizens Energy Group in Indianapolis allows customers to request an AMR.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

City arson investigators, along with agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, have concluded that the late-night blast was not an accident. Total damage has been estimated at $4.4 million, and federal authorities are offering a $10,000 reward for information in the case.
Source.

Also:

"We are turning this into a criminal homicide investigation," Coons said after meeting with local residents, marking the first time investigators have acknowledged a possible criminal element to the Nov. 10 explosion. Search warrants have been executed and officials are now looking for a white van that was seen in the subdivision the day of the blast, Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said. Federal authorities are offering a $10,000 reward for information in the case.
Different Story Source.

It's officially homicide now. There's more good update info at the sources, like how they're focusing on appliances now.

I don't know what really did or didn't happen there but this is the scenario that they are going with for now. For those of us still keeping up with this after reading through every page... I salute you, please keep it up.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Noncents

The name of the Associated Press reporter for this story is Charles Wilson. Looks like this is one of his first really big scoops based on the Google hits. He has done a legal story about IBM and another about Aung San Suu Kyi. Some newspapers use a system to assign reporters to stories based on content, human interest, legal interests, political spin etc. You can often reveal information about at least the story type from this. Anyone see a pattern in the reporting other than Gray Area?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Another Gas Explosion, This Time It Was Caught on Video

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=902113

edit on 24-11-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Noncents

glad to read the arson team has finally made a determination.
now, i'm even more curious about the detonation method ... that was one heck of a blast, whatever the origin.

i do hope some sense of unity prevails for all the victims of this tragedy and may they cherish the blessing that they still have each other

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Reguarding the original story I'm still sure it was a gas leak. Just read on my sky news app a strip club in Springfield Massachusetts. I can't post any source but copy and pasted this from my app

An explosion triggered by a gas leak flattened a strip club in Springfield, Massachusetts, injuring at least 18 people.

The Scores Gentlemen's Club, exploded at about 5.25pm local time as a gas company was looking for a leak under the road, said Springfield Police Captain William Collins.

The blast blew out all windows in a three-block radius, leaving three more buildings damaged beyond repair and prompting emergency workers to evacuate an apartment building that buckled.

Witnesses described to local media a massive explosion that shook the ground and sent up a huge cloud of smoke.

Police said it looked as though there was a missile strike where the explosion occurred.

<< 105  106  107    109 >>

join