It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant sonic boom felt and heard in Indianapolis Indiana(meteor? mass devastation Info blocade

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
If it were a natural gas explosion, wouldn't the gas still be leaking?

Or is gas for the entire neighborhood shut off now?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Any relation to the 4.3 earthquake in Kentucky?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

That is beyond weird, the only explanation I can think of is the area is on rock and it reverberated before the Sound/shockwave arrived.

It's beyond me what could cause the shaking to have been felt before the blast was heard. I suppose, if you were close it would be possible for the pressure wave to travel faster than sound, but if it were moving faster than the speed of sound at that distance I would expect damage to be much further spread.

It's possible for the force of the explosion to be felt before the sound arrives, but that means that the, air, vibrations in the ground, etc to be traveling faster than the speed of sound, and that kind of energy would do damage. That is what a blast wave is after all.

Even if you are close to the blast, to feel it in the ground force .. God, that would be quite the blast.

We burry bunkers under ground, and use sand bags to build protection from bullets and blasts because they absorb energy not transfer it. This is all making my head hurt.

That is a bloody impressive blast that's all I have to say. My opinion is unchanged, but my god.

edit on 11-11-2012 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Yes, I would say it's safe to assume the fire fighters turned off the gas as a safety precaution. They turn it off when responding to house fires, and in this instance of an explosion I think they or the gas company would be contacted to have gas shut off immediately.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Pipebomb24875

I did notice that on the USGS site, but I can't imagine a 4.3 causing an explosion that far away. If it had happened in IN. I could see a pipeline fracturing and leading up to an explosion like we saw. We will have to wait for more information.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
A few years back we had several gas explosions and house fires in a town about 6 miles from me. Fairport Harbor, Ohio for those who wish to Google any news pertaining to the incident I speak of.

Now, I am only a mere 6 miles from there and I NEVER so much as felt or heard a thing.

If people are feeling this 15-30 miles away then I'm not buying the gas explosion story that they're selling.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Well, maybe not a prepper, but some kind of enemy of the state. Just spitballin' here. And they probably wouldn't hesitate using an expensive bomb or missile. We have plenty. I just assume there is some type of shady dealing going on, with the gag order on the evacuees.
edit on 11-11-2012 by Frettin because: Misspell

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Gas "explosions" are a tricky thing. You need the EXACT fuel air mixture for detonation to occur, I can't bring myself to do the math, and if anyone is handy with it they can tell you better but roughly 5%( I haven't figured out the exact figure, and I'm kind of paranoid looking up the exact ratio online) of the total volume of the house needs to be natural gas, which isn't very much. Then all it needs is a spark. Combustion, will still produce what we view as an explosion but the difference is the aftermath.

If you have the right mixture, you have a blast that will exceed any other conventional explosive..

I understand they disperse liquid in this case, but the concept is the same.

Combustion = slow moving burn which can produce an "explosion"
Detonation, is very different.

So yes, you may have witnessed gas "explosions" that didn't seem that big, but believe me fuel air blasts can produce ENORMOUS explosions, with an enormous blast/shock wave doing tremendous damage and would likely be heard for a long way off.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Frettin

Okay, well if that's the case what better way to do it than make it look accidental? It's pretty easy to cause an intentional leak in a house and quite often they result in catastrophic consequences. A pair of tin snips, and a sneaky bastard or Many thousands of dollars and risk the populace finding out?

I am not ruling out foul play, I do not how ever think a drone did this.

For those who don't think gas explosions can create shockwaves, blasts heard for miles.

youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well if DHS is involved and Arson has been mentioned..

I call Terror attack..

These days, making bombs and flying planes into buildings is getting more difficult for terrorists to do..

Taking advantage of existing infrastructure, could be the next style of attack on western countries that have beefed up security to the point of not beinbg able to fart in public without having someone in government know about it.

Wouldn't be hard to hit targets that TPTB have not thaught to place security on ot are un able to, like gas lines that run under suburbs or storage facilities. All the ingedients are there already and just need to be set off..

Maybe this was a test run for something bigger.. blow up a small suburb, and if it works, blow u a city with it's own gas lines..

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Toché. Well, they gotta start doing this sooner or later. When they go for people's guns, they won't have the manpower to perform individual hits on every dissident. I don't know... It's late... I'm being paranoid. Lol

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

This is a possibility, and it did cross my mind. I believe we discussed something of this sort earlier in the thread, how ever why would a terrorist target a small residential neighbourhood? From what we've gathered two homes were destroyed and a few others had windows and doors blown out(that's a big blast) but in the name of terror isn't the idea to kill, maim, and horrify as many people as possible? It would make more sense for a terrorist to attack a strip mall, or major business hub.

Star, for the thought, but the question remains why?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Okay, guys I have to try and sleep. My head is starting to hurt, my grammar and vocabulary are starting to suffer.

I will check back tomorrow, and hopefully we have some answers as to what happened.

-Cheers, Jinx.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
If it were a natural gas explosion, wouldn't the gas still be leaking?

Or is gas for the entire neighborhood shut off now?

Yes it is.

The cause of the explosions remains unknown, authorities said. Investigators were expected to better assess the rubble after daybreak for clues to what happened. Meanwhile, all power, gas and other utilities were shut off as a precaution as emergency officials swarmed the site.

www.usatoday.com...

ETA: Looks like a good amount where evacuated. Hmmm....

Many people were asleep at the time and had to be evacuated in pajamas, scooping up their pets as they left hastily, authorities said. They left what some described as a chaotic scene of tall flames rising on the Indianapolis skyline....

....Approximately 200 people were taken to an elementary school where only about 15 to 25 remained through the night, sleeping on cots. Most of the evacuees subsequently left to stay with relatives, friends or at hotels.

edit on 11-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

The explosion at 11 p.m. Saturday destroyed two houses that were side by side and spread fire to two other nearby homes in the neighborhood on the south side of the city, she said. The blast was heard for miles all around.

Ok The explosion destroyed two houses and damage two other and set fire to other

Now how can gas leak into two different house and explode something is fishy here

www.usatoday.com...

And of the two homes that were leveled by the blast, Hensley said: "There's nothing left."

edit on 11-11-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
It could be a large scale clandestine drug lab gone horribly wrong.

The chemicals used in the manufacture of amphetimines can explode in a big way. A couple of weeks ago in Australia a guy manufacturing a small quantity in his garage caused an explosion that completely leveled the garage and damaged surrounding property.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Many times in residential gas explosions, the gas leak is outside the home/homes involved. The gas follows the voids in the earth around the pipe (caused by ground settling) and enters the home where the pipe penetrates the foundation.
Often, the homeowner smells the gas and alerts the gas supplier to the problem. In the case of a vacant home, there isn't any alert, and the home fills with gas, allowing for an explosion to happen.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

the indyboom was in the Richmondhill subdivision in South Indianapolis

some 18 houses were burnt to some degree, mostly incidental small fires from debris of the two that blew up

i question if these houses were primary residences or empty and in foreclosure
perhaps the two dead were homeless that camped out in the shuttered homes

i do not think that any terrorists were involved in the event, but stranger things happen

www.topix.com...
edit on 11-11-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
That sounded like a lot of people getting sent to another location because of gas?

Have been listening in but was out of the room so might have got that wrong?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maskander

Originally posted by redtic
Gas explosion completely destroys home

www.wishtv.com...

posts from people to local station facebook page
www.facebook.com...

a house explosion IS NOT felt around a 30 miles radius
edit on 10-11-2012 by Maskander because: (no reason given)

Surely that depends on the size of the explosion?

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join