It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA'S Dorkey; How would you feel if this was done at your child's school and your opinions in gen

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I'm not sure I'd want to see the chicken slaughtered. Maybe you could just introduce her to the chickens, explain, and have dinner. I'd leave out the slaughtering show. I guess it depends on her though.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
"If you wouldn't eat your dog, why eat a turkey?"

Because dogs are cute and turkeys can't fetch me a beer.

Wow, what a silly advert.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't really see an issue with the billboard since it really doesn't matter where it is kids and adults alike will probably still see it where ever it was to end up. Its not like its plastered on the front of textbooks. This is one of many things every parent should talk to their kids about regardless of where they learn about peta. Penn & Teller had a great show that ran on Showtime a few years back called Bulls*it and did an episode all about peta that was very informative and a must see for anyone interested in learning about these shysters.

Its just one more organization that leads those who are susceptible to their conditioning around bye their wallet. Its both sad and disgusting at the same time. My personal thoughts on Cows, Turkeys and Chickens are that they are nothing more than a commodity and quite honestly none of them would exist in this world if they were not a food source etc. In several parts of the world Dogs and Cats are thought of in the same way which is logically no different its just that we through generations of conditioning turned into something taboo, which is rather silly when you think about it logically and not emotionally.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
PeTA

Pretty.extreme.Tasting.Animals ..

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ireminisce

*LOL* That is to funny.

Sounds like your kids have a great head on their shoulders.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

not only that, if you teach the kids how to kill, process and cook
fresh game, you never have to worry about them going hungry
when things go to crap in the future.

Its a skill that will take them far.

Personally, i would much rather eat something i killed and cut
up, at least i know what is , or more importantly is not
in it.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

I didn't think about it like that. It's a good point. I just worried that a 7 yr. old girl would be put off meat for a while by seeing all that blood. I would have been like yuck. lol. But, like I said, it depends on the kid. They do need to know where there food comes from. If it's talked about casually with young kids as a part of life, then they don't have to be so shocked the first time they see "Babe".

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ireminisce

ya i can see that, our daughter is 10, and her being
her, i think the problem i would have is keeping her
from digging to far in and cutting the meat all up.

Our 13 yr old son thinks he is a good shot, but from
what i have seen our daughter is going to put him to
shame once she gets confidence.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I say we eat PETA members for Thanksgiving.

Who's with me?

That's a Great idea. I think I'll start with HER:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Make sure it's well done.

You might get hepatitis.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
I remember one of my mom's cousins taught me how to gut, skin, and butcher for cooking a rabbit he had raised. My mom doesn't eat rabbit but she breaded it and cooked it for her at the time 12 and 11 year old sons to eat. It was yummy.

On the other hand, I have an aunt who will not eat the chickens that my uncle raises or even the eggs. Don't know why, doesn't make sense as she's not vegan and will eat store bought meat.

PETA is an organization that lacks any class at all. I'm glad they posted that sign, and someone posted it here. It has reminded me that I need to teach my children where meat comes from. It teaches a level of respect for nature and the cycle of life that you just can't learn in an urban area. My neighbor has a couple of chickens that he's going to eventually eat.

I'm thinking my 7 year old daughter might be old enough to see a chicken slaughtered. I was probably around that old when I saw my first chicken, rabbit, and dear processed. She's already seen fish gutted and scaled. Any thoughts on that?

We first slaughtered our chickens last year. My boys were 16, 14 and 11. I think everyone needs to learn to raise their own animals, if possible. At least you know what they were fed and how they were processed. I say, go for it!
edit on 15-11-2012 by GideonFaith because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
PETA: If you wouldn't eat your houseplant, why eat a salad?

This can go both ways.

Only if you have a sentient houseplant. Do you have one?

Pretty sure you could get on TV with that.

Joking aside, I dont really see the big deal to be honest. Its pointing out our societal hypocrisy on this issue. Thats never a bad thing.

It might (whisper this now) make some kids think beyond the obvious ! Imagine that....

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Originally posted by Sek82
PETA: If you wouldn't eat your houseplant, why eat a salad?

This can go both ways.

Only if you have a sentient houseplant. Do you have one?

Pretty sure you could get on TV with that.

Joking aside, I dont really see the big deal to be honest. Its pointing out our societal hypocrisy on this issue. Thats never a bad thing.

It might (whisper this now) make some kids think beyond the obvious ! Imagine that....

Thank you for posting your thoughts.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
because my dog wouldn't taste nearly as good as some delicious turkey... Yummy

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

I'm so ready to get my turkey on this Thursday!!
No dog or dorkey for me!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Some Asian countries people eat dog meat, so they would say yes to a Dorkey.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I couldn't wait to reply to this thread as I have experienced this first hand at my children's school first hand.

Friday I was telling my husband about the meatless Monday's they were planning in California and how ridiculous this control over people has become. That afternoon my daughter came home from school, and told me her cheer coach had stated the cheerleaders were going to start eating healthier and not eat meat on Mondays.
First let me state, this is a private Christian school that we pay for to help stop all the brain washing that goes on in our public schools. Yes this teacher is an Obama voter, so I wasn't surprised to see her pushing his agendas. On Monday my husband and I are meeting with the principal to discuss her statements. She can not enforced this and none of the girls are doing it, but I am furious none the less.She had no right to even state this without talking with parents first!!!!
Here is the absolute funny of the whole thing!! I am a vegetarian and have been for 2 years, but I am an adult and that is my choice. My children need meat to grow healthy, and I would not allow them at their age to not eat meat! They are too immature to make sure to make up in other foods the protein they need to grow healthy. So they are speaking to the choir, and I totally disagree with them!! She has no right to tell my children to eat or not eat anything!
So as I am a vegetarian, I am not pushing my decisions onto my children. How can she even think to push an agenda ...not eating meat one day of the week is just stupid. It is a life choice. Not just a one day a week deal. Not eating a turkey at Thanksgiving is just ridiculous. They have been grown all year for this day and who is going to feed and take care of thousands of extra turkeys???? The poor farmers who can barely afford feed now?? Buy and eat your turkeys and help out the farmers in doing so!!! (end of rant!!)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinkytink1207
I couldn't wait to reply to this thread as I have experienced this first hand at my children's school first hand.

Friday I was telling my husband about the meatless Monday's they were planning in California and how ridiculous this control over people has become. That afternoon my daughter came home from school, and told me her cheer coach had stated the cheerleaders were going to start eating healthier and not eat meat on Mondays.
First let me state, this is a private Christian school that we pay for to help stop all the brain washing that goes on in our public schools. Yes this teacher is an Obama voter, so I wasn't surprised to see her pushing his agendas. On Monday my husband and I are meeting with the principal to discuss her statements. She can not enforced this and none of the girls are doing it, but I am furious none the less.She had no right to even state this without talking with parents first!!!!
Here is the absolute funny of the whole thing!! I am a vegetarian and have been for 2 years, but I am an adult and that is my choice. My children need meat to grow healthy, and I would not allow them at their age to not eat meat! They are too immature to make sure to make up in other foods the protein they need to grow healthy. So they are speaking to the choir, and I totally disagree with them!! She has no right to tell my children to eat or not eat anything!
So as I am a vegetarian, I am not pushing my decisions onto my children. How can she even think to push an agenda ...not eating meat one day of the week is just stupid. It is a life choice. Not just a one day a week deal. Not eating a turkey at Thanksgiving is just ridiculous. They have been grown all year for this day and who is going to feed and take care of thousands of extra turkeys???? The poor farmers who can barely afford feed now?? Buy and eat your turkeys and help out the farmers in doing so!!! (end of rant!!)

Wow! I guess living in SC we don't get many PeTA people around here. I don't think it would do any good either way.

Parents should choose whether they want their children to have a meatless Monday. That is just crazy.

With Michelle Obama changing the food standards in the public education is crazy too! I have three teenage boys, who get fed less than most babies in a daycare get. I mean three small chicken tenders is suppose to fill up teenagers, especially boys!

Sorry, went on a rant about something else.

I'm glad you are willing to stand up for your children and their rights.

EAT TURKEY!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberneticProphet
Some Asian countries people eat dog meat, so they would say yes to a Dorkey.

Don't count America out just yet. If times get hard, our overpopulation of pets will decrease I'm sure.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I wanted to come back to this thread with an update of some events that happened this weekend. While I was at work this past Saturday, my wife got a call from our neighbor asking if she would go to the store and grab a few bags of ice. Me being at work, she packed up the kids and took our neighbor some ice. The reason he needed the ice is that a friend of his had got a deer while hunting up the road and brought it by his house. Well, my seven year old asked "what is that red thing hanging on that post?". It of course was the deer being bled before it was butchered. When my wife told her that it was a deer that was being butchered, she said "ewe" and went to playing. My wife and step dad hung out with my neighbor while he worked and the kids played in the yard. So, today I decide to cook up the tenderloin from the deer, I didn't know if my kids would eat it or not so i fixed them a pizza. Well my oldest, took a bite of the deer and said "I don't want pizza, I want deer".

I am extremely proud of my daughter for both handling seeing her first butchered deer Saturday, and for choosing to have it for dinner tonight.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join