It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States petitioning to secede from union

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Another distraction.

This is what they do to coast for the next 4 years and not get anything done.

Oh no.... we can't agree to provide relief for 9/11 workers, pass a stimulus package or immigration reform....we're busy seceding. Smoke and mirrors. Are they forgetting Obama isn't going to be President after 4 years. Boy, these are some far sighted individuals, eh? I mean if tomorrow is a long way off.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
Curious...Since I am a military brat, born in California, Social Sec # from Wisconsin, Home of Record is Texas and currently live in Ohio.

Would I become a dual citizen if Texas seceded?

That's just funny. What if Texas doesn't reconize birth certificates from "foriegn" lands like California?

You wouldn't be able to run for President of Texas bro. Ya FORIEGNER!.

Ya gotta be born IN Texas. Funny.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I wish NJ would, they are run like Cuba anyway...they should definately leave the union and take California with them...I really don't understand how NJ is Democratic when THEY ALWAYS put a republican in the governor's chair??? Anyway if you agree sign my petition to have NJ be ousted as a state and make it sucede the union.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC
Texas is or could be self sustaining quickly, Louisiana and Missouri not so much. Missouri is geographically seperated from the rest but if they all group together and bring in Arkansas and possibly Oklahoma I could see it working. Of course, they would have Mexico trying to take over as soon as they leave the U.S.

Seriously I do not think it will happen.

Happy 237th Birthday Marines

Other highly populated Red States may decide to join in??

Sadly the Red & Blue will never come together. They have always disagreed but not to this magnitude.

Maybe each side would be happier if they seperated the two once and for all.

Who knows

It would be an interesting chain of events to say the least.

edit on 11-11-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

If States were to secede from the Union, then we would most definitly see another civil war, even if they were allowed to do so peacably at first.

The term Balkanization comes to mind.

The former Yugoslavia would have rivaled Germany in the EU if they had stayed as one nation. They had more resources than Germany, for that matter, they had more resources than most in the EU.

United we stand, divided we fall.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Not going to read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if someone already mentioned this.
Louisana's GDP was $206 billion in 2011. Source

This ranks above 21 countries in the world. Source

So they might be able to make it, if those other countries, although poor, can do it. Keep in mind that a lot of people in Louisiana are poor anyway.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Good riddance.. Misery, Tex-ass and under water Loseriana. I'm anxious to see what happens because some change is immediately necessary, good or bad.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Leaving the Union would be a very bad idea for any state for consider. All of the current has been in the Union for so long that they too interconnected at this point to try to separate from each other. All states are co-dependent on each other. It is better to keep the Union together.

Things have gotten pretty bad in America but it is the forgotten power of the states which can actually start to turn things around. The state do not take into account that the Federal Government is actually a servant of the states. This thinking has not been part of state government for a long time but it is still true. If several state governments resist the power of the Federal government at the same time, a lot of pressure will be placed on the Federal government to keep things in order. Actions like: Kicking out FBI and other Federal agents out of a state, refusing to enact a Federal mandate and not allowing the Feds to enforce the mandate within the state, Using the commerce clause only when it applies to import/export of goods and services from other states etc. Such actions would put the D.C. in a bind real quick.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I think its a Hoax. No State is self sufficient enough to pull this off...

Des

Of the 17 smallest countries in the world, Palau is the largest at 191 square miles and a population of 20,000.
Vatican city is .2 square miles.

Of the top 100 economies in the world 14 are us cities.

Of the top 100 economies in the world 36 are US states.

I think most US states could pull it off and if they joined with other states they would be extremely successful as they aren't being saddled with the Federal government's multi-trillion dollar parasitic appetites.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by cry93

You talk here as if there success or reliance for survival would be on a government structure the same as the current one, but they would have a new structure with less expenses on wasteful spending resulting in the need to tax less. Also, more business would flock to the southern states (because of much less regulation and taxes) which would change the current landscape and result in more prosperity and growth. You have this image that they would just be a nation of poor white southern folk. I doubt that. Texas is a very wealthy and successful state with a thriving economy while the rest of the nation suffers. A new Texas Republic? Sign me up.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am truly sorry to see such division on this matter as someone posted earlier "united we stand..."! I am behind them one hundred percent! The important thing to remember is that under the creator, we were all born sovereign as a person, a people, a state, a nation however you want to present it. We are now and always have been free but there are those who would like to mislead you to believe that your freedom comes with a price, it does not!

Sometimes one has to state out loud what others already know to be true but wish to pull the wool over your eyes to. You are only a part of the system if you choose to be! These people are making it known that they choose NOT to be.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat

"States" aren't doing this. Little petulant TeaBags who are witnessing the death of their white America are doing this.

It's a tantrum from a child. It means N O T H I N G. Squall all you want Conservatism ... your end is neigh.

Conservatism is far from dead, liberals could only hope. Republicans only lost presidency and two seats in Senate, gained in the House, governorships, state legislatures and local governments across the country. Republicans now have 30 governors to Democrats 20. Republicans now control both houses of state legislatures in 23 states while democrats have 14 and 12 are shared while Nebraska has a non-partisan unicameral legislature. Attorney Generals across the nation are evenly divided. America is still a center-right nation and it's not going to change anytime soon.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
These are not state petitions...they are morons whining like little titty babies....Only when a state actually has a session of their political body and publicly announce this path will it matter. This is nothing but morons, with internet access and too much time on their hands...will not ever happen....grow up.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by cry93

You talk here as if there success or reliance for survival would be on a government structure the same as the current one, but they would have a new structure with less expenses on wasteful spending resulting in the need to tax less. Also, more business would flock to the southern states (because of much less regulation and taxes) which would change the current landscape and result in more prosperity and growth. You have this image that they would just be a nation of poor white southern folk. I doubt that. Texas is a very wealthy and successful state with a thriving economy while the rest of the nation suffers. A new Texas Republic? Sign me up.

Where did I say any of that? Poor white? Race wasn't mentioned by me at all.

In any free market society there will be the haves and the have nots. Some by design. Some by circumstances. You are assuming that everyone in these states will be well to do and would even accept such a government. I think you are being naive in this pattern of thinking. How you define wasteful spending may be useful spending to the next Texans. And as a born and raised Southerner I disagree with your reasoning that supports why businesses flock to southern states. They flock there due to low wages and low cost of living for their employed bigwigs.

I love how your new government works in theory according to you. But lets see a plan and have it implemented before claiming success.
edit on 11-11-2012 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I do live in Louisiana and I can tell you we have it better here than a lot of northern states. But succession by any state will never happen even in your dreams. It's just a waste of time by concerned citizens about the rampant growth of the US police state. Martial law is coming--you will have to deal with it or try to go elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
So far I have come across news of three states that have filed petitions on the White House web site to secede from the union. They are Louisiana, Texas and Missouri.

Here is the first article I saw. I think this may just be the start of something, either a grass roots movement that will break our country up or one gigantic waste of time; or maybe a hoax. What do you think?

On Nov. 6, Americans voted to return Barack Obama to the White House; then on Nov. 7, some folks in Louisiana petitioned the White House to peaceably withdraw their state from the Union. Coincidence? According to the White House website, the petition was created by Michael E. (full last name not provided) of Slidell, La., the day after the election and has since been electronically signed by a few hundred people, most – but not all – of whom hail from the Pelican State.

edit on Sat Nov 10 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed ads text from quote

puhlease... it happens after every vote... i can't tell you how many of these lame things i've seen..

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Such a short, sweet and to the point post. Well said Sir!

And here I thought that no Cro-Magnon could teach this old Neanderthal anything.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Des

If Texas were to secede, it would likely become one of the richest nations on Earth. We have our own electrical grid, we're the world's largest exporter of beef, we're the second-largest grower of Winter wheat, we're one of the largest growers of corn, cotton, and wheat. We have the second-busiest shipping port, and the fourth-busiest airport. And we have guns...lots and lots of guns. Oh, and something called "oil", whatever that is. We'd do pretty well.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Des

If Texas were to secede, it would likely become one of the richest nations on Earth. We have our own electrical grid, we're the world's largest exporter of beef, we're the second-largest grower of Winter wheat, we're one of the largest growers of corn, cotton, and wheat. We have the second-busiest shipping port, and the fourth-busiest airport. And we have guns...lots and lots of guns. Oh, and something called "oil", whatever that is. We'd do pretty well.

/TOA

Sounds good

Bon Voyage!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join