It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States petitioning to secede from union

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

California operates on an east/west divide, not a north/south divide. The coast people and the inland people operate along a liberal/conservative opposition.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

The USA I love isn't the same USA you love. Two different nations now. We're too divided and we see two totally different America's in the future.

The 1950s are over, and they aren't coming back. Leave it to Beaver was just a television show and not a base model for life in America.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
To ALL the naysayers who say Louisiana can not hold there own, let see what assets the state has that can bring the country or part of the country to it's knees.

Our ports which INCLUDES the largest port bulk cargo port in the world:
en.wikipedia.org...

Look at those Louisiana ports on that!

Our economy:
www.houmatoday.com...
And that is just with our oil production and not agriculture. You can also factor in ship manufacturing and it would be a total bummer when a tax is placed on all shipping traffic going up the Mississippi

THE BASICS - Population: 4.4 million, 24th among the 50 states. - Civilian labor force: 2.1 million, 24th among states. - State gross domestic product last year: $222.2 billion, 23rd in the U.S. - In August, about 53,000 Louisiana residents were directly employed in oil-and-gas production and extraction, earning an average wage of more than $24 an hour, according to the state Workforce Commission.

HOW MUCH OIL? - Excluding federal offshore areas, Louisiana has known reserves of 458 million barrels of oil, 2.1 percent of the nation’s total, and 10 billion cubic feet of natural gas, 4.2 percent of the U.S. total. - Crude-oil production and imports that are not sent to other states are processed at Louisiana’s 19 refineries, clustered mostly along the lower Mississippi River and in the Lake Charles area. With a refining capacity of nearly 3 million barrels per day, Louisiana produces more petroleum products than any state but Texas. Louisiana is home to about 18 percent of the nation’s refining capacity. - About three-fourths of Louisiana’s refined petroleum products are sent to other states for consumption. The Plantation Pipeline, originating near Baton Rouge, supplies much of the South with gasoline. Petroleum products not shipped to other states primarily feed Louisiana’s industrial sector, which includes one of the largest petrochemical industries in the country. As a result, Louisiana’s per-capita consumption of petroleum products is third-highest in the U.S., behind only Alaska and Wyoming. - Louisiana’s onshore production increased until about 1970, when it peaked at more than 1.35 million barrels per day. Output quickly declined and has fallen to a little more than one-tenth of its 1970 peak.

NATIONAL SIGNIFICANCE - Two of the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve’s four storage facilities are in Louisiana. - The Henry Hub is the largest centralized point for natural gas spot and futures trading in the U.S., providing access via pipelines to major markets throughout the country. - The liquefied-natural-gas import terminal at Lake Charles is the largest of five existing LNG import sites in the U.S.

BLACK GOLD - Six coastal states will share nearly half a billion dollars from federal offshore oil-and-gas revenue in fiscal 2009 and 2010 to help restore and protect coastal wetlands, wildlife habitat and marine areas. Louisiana expects to receive $121 million each year, more than any other state, according to federal data. - During the past fiscal year, oil-and-gas revenue — severance taxes, royalties and bonuses — reached to an all-time high at $1.94 billion for Louisiana, about 16 percent of state government’s income, according to the Department of Natural Resources. This year, it’s expected to reach $1.68 billion, or 15 percent of state income. - State government gains or loses about $11.2 million for every $1-per-barrel change in oil prices.

GOING DEEPER - The Gulf accounts for about 25 percent of domestic oil production and 15 percent of natural-gas output. - In 2008, 57 percent of all Gulf leases were in water depths greater than 1,000 feet. The 141 producing deepwater projects represented an 8 percent increase compared to a year earlier, the U.S. Minerals Management Service reported in May. Many companies are moving into 5,000-foot depths or more, areas the agency classifies as “ultra-deepwater.”

- BP’s Thunder Horse platform, in about 6,000 feet of water, is the Gulf’s biggest current producer at about 260,000 barrels of oil a day, the Minerals Management Service report says. - Shell Oil claims the record for the deepest Gulf well, Perdido, which works a depth of 9,356 feet about 200 miles south of Houston. Production is scheduled to begin in early 2010. It originally leased the tract in 1996. - In September, BP announced a massive new find in the Gulf that local officials said could keep business busy in the Houma-Thibodaux area and create new jobs. The new Tiber well is expected to produce 4 billion to 6 billion barrels of oil and gas, enough to power the U.S. for a year, according to BP. The company hasn’t determined a time line, but it’s widely believed it will take at least a decade to produce the first oil and gas from the well. About 250 miles southeast of Houston, the well is 35,055 feet, as deep as Mount Everest is tall, not including more than 4,000 feet of water above it. - The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port, a platform 18 miles south of Grand Isle, has offloaded oil from supertankers for nearly three decades. The port sends about 1 million barrels of foreign crude each day — 10 percent of the nation’s imports — to storage tanks at Port Fourchon in south Lafourche. From there, it is channeled via pipeline to refineries around the U.S. is nearing completion of a $180 million expansion and has also begun tying into deepwater wells in the Gulf.

- Some studies predict the Haynesville Shale will become the nation’s top-producing natural-gas field within the next six years, according to the Louisiana Oil and Gas Association. Just one well drilling in the shale will cost a company more than $6 million, and about 17 companies are already lined up to do so. The area covers four parishes — Caddo, Bossier, DeSoto and Red River. The shale containing the gas is a layer of sedimentary rock 10,000 feet or more below the earth’s surface. This year through mid-September, 97 new rigs had been erected in Louisiana, 77 of them in north Louisiana, and 66 of them in the Haynesville Shale. - LSU economist Loren Scott, in a report commissioned by the state Department of Natural Resources, says last year alone about $2.4 billion in new business sales came from the shale area and roughly $3.9 billion in household earnings were created. An increase of 32,742 new jobs were linked to the shale last year throughout Louisiana. “As a reference point, this is slightly larger than total employment in all of Louisiana’s banks and credit unions,” Scott’s study says.

Also another note, Louisiana receives more federal funding from most other states because it can not tax the incoming oil that is pumped from ships to shore, only the federal government can. That goes for ALL imports and that is why Louisiana is so dependent on the Feds.

DO NOT think for a second Louisiana can not hold it's own. There is a reason New Orleans was one of the richest cities in the country.

And another thing, states ARE allowed to leave the REPUBLIC of the United States. Each state is it's own country united under one banner and that is the United States.

Before I forget we have 19 oil refineries
. The way I see it, the states need us more than we need them.

Anyone else wants to think we are just a bunch of poor Cajuns? Think again.
edit on 12-11-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I was embarrassed to see Kentucky on the list.

For the states that really wish to secede: go ahead. If a natural disaster hits your area, you'll look for federal help and none will be available.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

The 1950s are over, and they aren't coming back. Leave it to Beaver was just a television show and not a base model for life in America.

Yeah, but Ozzie and Harriet was reality!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MasonicFantom

Most energy subsidiaries are for nuclear power and, recently, alternative energy.

Actually most energy subsidies are for oil. The main subsidy program is called "The Pentagon".

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

You can also factor in ship manufacturing

Yes but no one is going to buy your ships after you get rid of all unions and labor and environmental laws. You will be boycotted.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Errr, there are over 200+ countries in the world to sell to. You don't have to sell to just the US. Really what kind of statement is that? And who said they will do away with that?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

Ive said the same. If multiple states do this and share resourses and exports, they could survive and be better off.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by planefixer

And what I am saying is Louisiana can hold it's own economically. Other states need us more than we need them. Yes, your statement is true that if a group of states band together they will hold up. I am saying Louisiana doesn't necessarily need that.

I am not trying to sound full of my state, it is just economically we have been kept down by the federal government since the Civil War to be reliant on other economically.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Any state is, IMO, perfectly capable of operating as a country - there are many small countries in the world that do perfectly well.

It would require changes to the economy to adjust to not having Federal funds - but some equilibriaum would be reached.

Arguments about whether or not a state could "survive"on its own are irrelevant because they just don't get a choice.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Each state is its own country united under one banner that is the United States. Remember the US is a Republic and not a country operating in unity as whole country.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

You must be raving if you think New Orleans held the title of "Worlds Richest City" before the American Civil War. London, the capital of The British Empire at that time, was way ahead of anyone else.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Excuse me, I stand corrected. It was the richest city in the US before the civil war. No need for petty insults on a simple mistake.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by alldaylong

Excuse me, I stand corrected. It was the richest city in the US before the civil war. No need for petty insults on a simple mistake.

Insult not intended, however you did say "Richest City In The World"

Peace.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I hope this happen, if for any reason is to show the feds that the people are still in control no matter what they want to believe. It's more of a "hey, slow down -- you're not our boss, we're YOUR boss". Know your role and shut your mouth jabroni!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Remember the US is a Republic and not a country operating in unity as whole country.

That is a nonsensical difference - why can't a "Republic" be a country??

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yes let them leave and if other countries want to merge let that happen too. Maybe that wouldn't work but make us more supseptable to anti missile defense systems in new countries of lousianna etc
Maybe if Rommney got he not be would of broke up the states and sold them to higher bidder(cringe)$!
Oh and every country has great assets that bring something to the table..I've seen the quarters like Connecticut has oak trees and nutmeg if I recall just kidding. TAXES! I'm kidding again. But like people we all have something unique unless your Lisa Lamponedee. (Not a joke)
edit on 12-11-2012 by Johnathanandheather because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

What a hoot!

Point out that these petitions are totally spurious and have no weight, under law, whatsoever... and the response is a barrage of "sheeple" and "commie" ad homs... a cavalcade of "You don't love freedom if you aren't down with secession..." statements.

The fact of the matter is that I do love freedom. I love it enough to take responsibility for my community and for the other people who enjoy their freedoms as well. I love it enough to ride out the storm, instead of seeking to abandon the ship the second rough waters come along.

What part of "the will of the people" is not clear? America voted for the values we believe in. The Democratic party won this cycle not because Obama is hip, or black, or the antichrist, or because we have a welfare state where everybody is willing to sell their souls for 300 free cellular minutes each month. He won because the Republican platform was undesirable to the majority of Americans Plain and simple. The right gave their ultimatum - they fielded a candidate with their message... and he lost - fair and square.

We don't want an Oligarchy where the "job creators" are our Gods and the poor are left to die. Deal with it.

~Heff

I believe with all the voter fraud allegations going around these days, I'd think twice before saying "Fair and Square" - just sayin' Heff. It was a contentious race and thus voter fraud could have played a role. It wasn't a landslide like it was when Obama ran against McCain.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Conservative. You are free to do as you wish. Just do not try and force me to do what you want.
Liberal. You will do what we tell you. We won. You HAVE TO DO WHAT WE TELL YOU. Hold it, where are you going, you can not leave us here.

A lot of people on both sides forgot that. Only a little over a quarter of the population voted for the Democratic values of we will make you. Half of the country stayed silent. That makes them the silent majority. Not the Democrats. Not the Republicans. Who does not get that?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join