It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States petitioning to secede from union

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
So far I have come across news of three states that have filed petitions on the White House web site to secede from the union. They are Louisiana, Texas and Missouri.

Here is the first article I saw. I think this may just be the start of something, either a grass roots movement that will break our country up or one gigantic waste of time; or maybe a hoax. What do you think?

On Nov. 6, Americans voted to return Barack Obama to the White House; then on Nov. 7, some folks in Louisiana petitioned the White House to peaceably withdraw their state from the Union. Coincidence? According to the White House website, the petition was created by Michael E. (full last name not provided) of Slidell, La., the day after the election and has since been electronically signed by a few hundred people, most – but not all – of whom hail from the Pelican State.

edit on Sat Nov 10 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed ads text from quote

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Pretty fail attempt last time. I hope for the best, whatever that means.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

I think its a Hoax. No State is self sufficient enough to pull this off...

Des

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If Louisiana secedes from the union,would they keep the drilling rights in the gulf?

Just saving this thread for now to do some reading.

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Interesting to say the least....

Louisianna has always been the odd ball state since they are not based on English common law, but instead are based on Napoleonic Code (France).

If the majority of the state support the effort then there should be no reason why they cannot leave the Union. I would prefer to see a different resolution than just packing up and moving out though.

To me walking away is just an easy way out... If the people are that intent on changing Louisianna then why not try and use that same zeal and effort to persuade other states to support the call for lasting change?

I know back in the 90's several Canadian provices (west) did this. They wanted more autonomy (in general) and when the FEderal government said no, the provinces started talking about leaving the dominion of canada and several floated the idea of applying for US statehood. In the end the determination of those provinces was enough to get the changes they needed.
edit on 10-11-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I doubt it is true however I would be fine with it. Louisiana and Missouri take more federal money than any other state as for Texas going I would consider it a wash. It would be funny when I went to see my uncle I would need to get my passport stamped. Overall I think this is just a bunch of malarkey.

Edit to add

It would be a bad move for Texas even though they do retain the right to succeed considering the past droughts look to be the norm for them in the future.
edit on 10-11-2012 by Grimpachi because: add

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

This will never work.

Louisiana does not have the infrastructure to support itself without the aid of other states and the federal government. It's one of the MOST tax dependant states in the Union and one of the lowest revenue creating states.

They would be begging to be let back in within 6 months. There are VERY few states who could do this succcesfully, one of them being Texas.

And also, what about all that federally owned land, equipment and other assets?! Don't you think they'll want those back? As well as all the money the Fed provides the state?

Pipe dream.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It would take more than an outright civil war for this to happen.

U.S. Constitution "The Right To Secede" March 4, 1789

The first union of the original 13 colonies was effected by the Articles of Confederation, adopted in 1781. The articles established a confederation of sovereign states in a permanent union. The "permanence" lasted only until 1788, when 11 states withdrew from the confederation and ratified the new Constitution, which became effective on March 4, 1789. The founding fathers recognized the defects in the Articles of Confederation, learned from these defects, and scrapped the articles in favor of the "more perfect union" found in the Constitution.

Nowhere in the Constitution is there any mention of the union of the states being permanent. This was not an oversight by any means. Indeed, when New York, Rhode Island, and Virginia ratified the Constitution, they specifically stated that they reserved the right to resume the governmental powers granted to the United States. Their claim to the right of secession was understood and agreed to by the other ratifiers, including George Washington, who presided over the Constitutional Convention and was also a delegate from Virginia. In his book Life of Webster Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge writes, "It is safe to say that there was not a man in the country, from Washington and Hamilton to Clinton and Mason, who did not regard the new system as an experiment from which each and every State had a right to peaceably withdraw." A textbook used at West Point before the Civil War, A View of the Constitution, written by Judge William Rawle, states, "The secession of a State depends on the will of the people of such a State."

Well into the 19th century, the United States was still viewed by many as an experimental confederation from which states could secede just as they had earlier acceded to it. It took a bloody war to prove them wrong.

civilwar.bluegrass.net...
edit on 10-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I don't think it's a hoax. They have the constitutional right to do so. They have a lot of courage knowing they may be a sacrificial lamb, considering what is already brewing in their neighborhood.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Texas is or could be self sustaining quickly, Louisiana and Missouri not so much. Missouri is geographically seperated from the rest but if they all group together and bring in Arkansas and possibly Oklahoma I could see it working. Of course, they would have Mexico trying to take over as soon as they leave the U.S.

Seriously I do not think it will happen.

Happy 237th Birthday Marines

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This article is from WND. The same people that constantly perpetrate the Birther bull, so I am less than confident that it's real.

Frankly I wouldn't mind if a few states left the union. Most of the states that seem to want to do this are a huge drain on taxpayer money anyway. So let them leave. And make sure that any people wishing to leave along with them are allowed. Of course never to return.

Then we just don't trade with the states that left the union.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Think of how much our flood insurance premiums would drop if a state thats mostly below sea level wasn't in the equation!
And I'm not a huge fan of cray-dads....I'll sign

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Sounds like a little boy running away from home because he don't like mama and papa's rules.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The credibility of WND which was the source of the article I referenced in the OP has been questioned, so here is a more credible SOURCE

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
So far I have come across news of three states that have filed petitions on the White House web site to secede from the union. They are Louisiana, Texas and Missouri.

Here is the first article I saw. I think this may just be the start of something, either a grass roots movement that will break our country up or one gigantic waste of time; or maybe a hoax. What do you think?

On Nov. 6, Americans voted to return Barack Obama to the White House; then on Nov. 7, some folks in Louisiana petitioned the White House to peaceably withdraw their state from the Union. Coincidence? Ads by Google Become a Music ProducerTrain to Become a Music Producer. Request Free Program Brochure Now! us.sae.edu Litter Boxes800+ Litter Boxes at Great Prices. Shop, Compare and Save at Pronto. Box.Pronto.com According to the White House website, the petition was created by Michael E. (full last name not provided) of Slidell, La., the day after the election and has since been electronically signed by a few hundred people, most – but not all – of whom hail from the Pelican State.

I think I see a pattern here. There is a thread asking "Will Obama Be the Last President?".
There is a blockbuster movie about Abraham Lincoln through the eyes of Steven Spielberg.
I think there is the theme of history repeating itself.
It is about 150 years since the last Civil War.

We are on the precipice of something. I do think that states will attempt to avoid the onerous Federal mandates that will come out of the "Cliff". Time will tell.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
well here is the White House .gov page....

Peacefully grant the State of Louisiana to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government.

There's already over 5700 signatures !!

ETA:

The Texas petition has over 2000 signatures now....

Peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government.

edit on Nov-10-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Wonder what would happen if this went viral and others joined in. I signed both petitions but I live in SC.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
So, if a state were to separate, could towns, counties, cities, etc, separate from the new "Country"?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The result of secession could be chaos for some citizens. For instance, would the federal government cut off social security payments? I would think that they couldn't since you don't have to live inside the states now to collect it. But with Obummer and his shadow government in place I would be worried.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join