Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Just learned something new.

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Having read an article on how beef tongue has been recalled because the tonsils were still attached, I became confused. I always thought that the tonsil was that thing dangling in the back of the throat. Not so, that dangling thing is called the Uvula. Did you know this? I didn't.

The tonsils are on the side of the tongue. Live and learn!

WebMD Tonsils

CNN - Beef Tongue Recalled

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
So then what does or is the purpose of the Uvula?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You're never too old to learn something new. Trust me, if you had ever had tonsillitis before you would have known a lot sooner!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I didn't know that...
....But I have had cow tongue before and it is delicious and very tender on the inside.
Back on topic,I always though that lil punching bag was the tonsil(s)....hence the plural,now I get it.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I knew it was called the uvula but thought that was the correct term for tonsils.
So no, I didn't know tonsils were on the sides, thought that dangling thing was.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
In a word; yes

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I knew about the uvula but didnt know what tonsils actually were. Mine were removed over 20 years ago, they were too big. Also had adnoids removed. The # are those?

The uvula is supposed to help keep food from going down the trachea.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
ive had my tonsil's removed. WHERE WAS MY PARADE!
yeah that dangly thing, i always thought food went down one side and drink went down the other.
then they had a fight in the middle.
of coarse i can't prove this.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
I knew about the uvula but didnt know what tonsils actually were. Mine were removed over 20 years ago, they were too big. Also had adnoids removed. The # are those?

The uvula is supposed to help keep food from going down the trachea.

Wow! I just checked. The uvula keeps food from going into the nasal cavity, and it also helps us make certain sounds. That little booger is also the culprit responsible for snoring!

Uvula

At this rate of learning I'll be a doctor in 30 years!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
reply to post by jiggerj

I didn't know that...
....But I have had cow tongue before and it is delicious and very tender on the inside.
Back on topic,I always though that lil punching bag was the tonsil(s)....hence the plural,now I get it.

I know the beef tongue is meat, but I just can't eat it, or brains, or bird gizzards, or anything related to the sex organs. I would make a terrible survivalist.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Being a mother to a child who whenever he gets sick gets enlarged tonsils made me learn that a long time ago.

The tongue article totally grossed me out though. Thanks for that!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Lmao you cant eat beef tongue for concern it might have sucked a peener? Im fairly sure cows dont have oral sec

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Actually, I knew I did. I've been told a number of times by young ladies that I have an unusually large uvula.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You crack me up at times!

Beef (cow) tongue is very tasty, boiled and sliced thin, used as lunchmeat on a sammich. You'd hardly know the difference if you weren't in the room watching it get sliced.

I know this because my grandmother considered it to be a delicacy.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
edit on 10-11-2012 by Rikku because: : ]

new topics

top topics

join