It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lights, camera, action: Cop cams debut in Calgary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

A pilot program started Thursday will see 50 officers from the K-9, traffic and district patrol units outfitted with small, body-mounted cameras able to record video and sound.

“It’s going to be worn by police officers to ensure the capturing of evidence, to enhance officer safety and to provide transparency to the public,” said Sgt. Evel Kiez of the Investigative Support Section.

www.calgarysun.com...

Best idea out of Calgary since we voted to remove fluoride from our water last year.

This is the sheer way fact to have officers respect the citizen as indicated by their swore oath; yet, to be 100% honest, I've dealt face-to-face with about 5 or 6 police officers in my 4 years here and nothing but understanding and straight forward officers (most were British lol).

Oh yeah, BTW:
Calgary the safest city in Western Canada: Police
metronews.ca...

Another reason I believe I am in the greatest city in the world, in the best country in the world.
For all you considering a move, this is the place to be.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Always loved Calgary.

Many times I've come in from the East and after getting through Calgary to Canmore, the long stretch to the first Mountains and then the Banff gate...Beautiful.

I'm not too far from there...

Peace

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I re-call a while back Kelowna police testing the same little cameras to try and eliminate the your word vs mine situations that arise from dealing with the police. I say its good both ways keeps them in check as well as the people who they are dealing with. Regardless anytime I see police action the phone still comes out camera rolling never bad to have a civilian record as well. Footage that can't be altered.

SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is the best possible solution to police corruption everywhere. As long as ordinary citizens can access the footage, the bad guys should not be in uniform very long.

I think that's why most departments will not use it. They are comfortable with corruption. They get up in the morning and slide into their dishonesty like a pair of socks.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Im surprised it did not appear sooner in Canada. A lot of US departments have been using these systems for a few years now. In addition to vidoe / audio recording on Tasers, Dash cams, Body cams / mics / some agenciues have audio / video on their duty weapons as well.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Very cool thing to have for both officer and citizen.

As long as the recording don't get "lost" *cough* when things go a little sideways like they sometimes do here in the US..

Best thing would be if the recordings go straight to a 3rd party for archiving, it would prevent a lot of "lost" recordings.

top topics

join