It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 122 dead, 26 missing in China coalmine explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
At least 122 people were killed and another 26 are missing after a coalmine explosion in China. There is an ongoing rescue operation for saving the remaining workers in the mine.

www.news.com.au
ABOUT 56 people were killed and a further 100 reported missing in a coal mine blast in central China, state media quoted local officials as saying today.

There were more than 400 people working at the mine when the blast occurred, it said. More than 200 people had escaped but another 148 were stranded in the mine.

Rescue workers were continuing efforts to recover the missing and stranded.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Officials say they're investigating the cause of the explosion. But coalmine explosions happens very frequently. It's an extremely dangerous profession.

[edit on 26-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
This is not surprising. It kind of sucks to be a worker in China. 100000+ deaths so far this year. From a percentage of the population its pretty low but shocking none the less.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
President Hu urges saving lives of trapped coal miners

"Chinese President Hu Jintao Thursday asked local governments to spare no effort to save minerstrapped in a coal mine by a gas explosion Wednesday in central China's Henan Province.

So far 60 people have been confirmed dead and 88 are still missing following the blast."

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Henan coal mine blast toll rises to 66

"Rescuers in Daping Mine of Henan Province Friday retrieved the remains of four more victims of a fatal gas explosion, which brought the death toll to 66.

Rescuers continued their round-the-clock efforts in search of the 82 miners who are still missing, though everybody knows the survival chance for the trapped is quite slim.

Happening at 10:10 p.m. Wednesday, the accident was the most serious one this year.

The survivors recalled that the blast was triggered by the highconcentration of gas underground the Daping Mine, when 446 miners were working, only 298 managed to escape."

Click link for the full article...

The death toll might reach 148 if they can�t find any survivors...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
China mine toll jumps to 122

"RESCUERS have pulled more bodies from a coal mine in central China, raising the confirmed death toll to 122 in a huge gas explosion, with 26 miners still missing, the Government said today.

Rescuers were still searching for survivors in the Daping Mine near the central city of Zhengzhou, where the blast occurred last Wednesday, though the Government has said there is little chance that any missing miners are still alive."

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
That's a sad story, all opinions appart from Chinese government issues, this was a tragic event.

I hope they do find the rest of the missing people alive.

[edit on 26-10-2004 by Muaddib]

join