join

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Just
made the news

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tazkven
From Louisville but spending the weekend out by Barren River and did not feel anything ...

Missed the last one too, was around 2008 or so I believe ... was in Gatlinburg, Tennessee that weekend.

I always seem to miss them.

I usually miss them too! But wow! This was one of those WTF! moments. My husband is out cutting firewood and I asked him if he felt it and he said nope. I think he thinks I'm crazy!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I am working from home today and a coworker in the employee chat room is in the area. She felt it.

Here is what she said "IN NE Tennessee. The whole house shook. I'm seeing reports on Facebook of it's being felt for at least 100 miles"

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I loved the comment about the " rich persons under ground bunker collapsing!" ...LMAo!...

And great advice for keeping an eye out for ground dwelling animals leaving in mass exodus...I never knew that!

My sister lives in Paris ky, and did not feel anything...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by beyondthegarage

I'm about 120 miles from there and it shook me pretty darn good. Also I know Des said she felt it & she is much further south than me.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Dog and cat went nuts here in knoxville. I figured it was the fans at neyland jumping up and down.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm in Tazewell Va and felt it for about 10 sec's. Felt like my love seat was being lightly shaken.

I've never felt an earthquake before!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Seems this was felt pretty far out! a Facebook friend was asking because she felt it in dacusville,SC.

Never a dull moment !

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
As soon as I began to feel it and my mind realized it was an earthquake, my first thought was to check USGS and see if it was anywhere near the New Madrid fault zone.

Was pretty relieved to see it was not.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Often you will see lots of frogs or snakes or even worms crawling. People don't connect it with anything though. It makes sense that sometimes animals gather to breed. If you see a lot of animals running away and not eating something or breeding, then there is a problem.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I am in South Central Missouri and didn't feel anything. The quake tremor seems to have gone in an easterly direction.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I lived in Olympia Washington when the 7.1 hit there 12 years ago. I was walking her home from 1/2 day kindergarten and the sidewalk started rolling under our feet. She made me piggy back her to school and back for months because she thought the ground was going to swallow her.

When I moved to KY an earthquake was the last thing I thought I would experience but this makes 2 in 6 years.

This one was a big one...luckily this area is remote and not densely populated...but i have seen reports on Facebook saying it was felt in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee.

A 5.1 is a pretty good shaker, and it was only 1.1 km deep. I am now waiting for the aftershocks. In Washington we had them for a week and they would rock us (literally ) out of bed.

My daughter was driving when it hit here today and felt nothing. Thank God. I cant piggy back her any more. She is 17.

I will say I am very proud of my Jack Russell. He was having a complete fit right before this. He was climbing up on the couch pawing and barking at our windows and running to the front door then back to me barking. I knew he was trying to tell me something but I couldn't figure out what.

Extra cookies for Clyde my Jack Russell today. He is a real good boy!!

edit on 10-11-2012 by k21968 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I felt it in north east TN. Dogs started barking and things starting shaking slightly. First time I have ever experience that, went straight to ats chat and reported it to usgs.
edit on 10-11-2012 by Thescripter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
As soon as I began to feel it and my mind realized it was an earthquake, my first thought was to check USGS and see if it was anywhere near the New Madrid fault zone.

Was pretty relieved to see it was not.

It was so light here I was wondering if it was just muscle twitching in my bum! But it kept going and I was like "was that an earthqauke?" then the Facebook updates started.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
interesting. is this kind of thing a rarity in this location?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I felt it in Parkersburg WV. We are on the border with Ohio. I thought I was imaging it until I saw my computer monitor shake. Thought no more about it until I came across this thread and the time frame is identical.

BrBen

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz

Found a good chart on the frequency of quakes from 1973 to present for the area.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

thanks for the link TwiTcH

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

You sure did. I got an alert on my phone via the CNN app,

5.3 magnitude earthquake reported in eastern Kentucky - USGS via Reuters

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 10-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz

Rarity? Not really. Expected? No. It is not like we live in California or the west coast where earthquakes are known to hit. We are in the central US. There is a major fault here, and it has been quiet for a long time. ATSers have commented in the past that it is way overdue for a big one to hit here.

THe fortunate thing is Central KY and the surrounding areas are not densely populated. So damage will be minor if any at all.

This is the second quake in the 6 years that I have lived here.

I grew up in Southern Ohio and remember as a very small child laying in the grass on my grandpa's farm looking at the clouds and we had an earthquake. I didnt know what it was at the time I was very small.

They do happen here. It is just odd when they do.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join