It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Languages Don't Begin with Grunts

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 10:54 PM
link   
"But over all, languages began with grunts."

and what evidence do you have? Exactly, they are both theories.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Lysergic has a point.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   
He has a new life philosophy, so don't expect him to be able to think abstractly or rationally.

He believes; Whatever I say is WRONG, whatever he says is RIGHT.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
He is arguing a point that is a theory, like it is fact.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
as are most of his posts.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Yeah whatever, so I guess Roars and "oot oots" from lions and apes are just because they are not "ordained by god".

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think that is streching the logic in what we are saying.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Not really, under his theory we started off being able to speak like the "educated monkey" in Looney Toons.

"I do say bob, that banana peel is rather old."

Please...if speech were not a further form of evolution, then animals would be teaching english, not wrinkly old men.

Now I won't debate if man had been ... nudged, in the speech department or not, but considering how well birds talk I don't think so.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 01:51 AM
link   
HKoT - no one can understand your language because you speak in "grunts". The pathetic thing is if your an adult, If your in Jr. High, thats exceptable tolerance. If your in High School, Your a Smart @ss. If your in college, put down your head in shame. If your all grown up,
my god, what a loser you must be.

Its obvious HKoTs intelligence level is so high that no one can understand him

I wont resort to your intellectual curse words!!

In the words of the wisest man that ever lived, F U C K it.

I tried to be nice to you, didn't work, I tried to reason with you, didn't work, I tried to even work thing out as members at ATS, it didn't work, so I'll just say this.

tell me why english is so hard for you, is it because your getting a D- in 8th grade English.

You have to understand like I said earlier that culture makes a huge difference in languages. Western and Eastern Cultures differ immensly, but I guess an 8th grader wouldn't understand that. Western Cultures have lettering that is understood everywhere in the world. Making English an easy language.

I asked my college teacher via net, Which one language is the hardest to learn. Mandarian was one at the top of the list. English was at the bottom, almost the very bottom. French and Spanish related ones were some of the lowest. English, my teacher told me was the easiest to learn because it know to the entire world.

HKoT -
Now you're trying to say "English is easy but is hard if you want to master it." (Like I've been saying the whole time you two tongued newb).

Now I know your an idiot, I never once put that, who the hell are you tring to quote???????

How can I be two tongued newb if I never typed that. In my eyes your dead to me HKoT.

Its obvious you haven't mastered decency as well as english. Good Luck in the world.

What I put is, "Now if you're talking about verbs, grammar, and sounds of how a language like english should be, thats when you count english to be a little harder. Not that much harder than others. "

Its true, 100%, I never changed my position once, your not just an idiot, your a blind idiot.

I don't even know what your post against me was about
. Im just lost
. Maybe if your calm down and get your head out of your @ss you can tell me what you meant. Im still willing to lissen to an 8th student rambling about something.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It's nice you're finally going down, but must you go down in flames?

Just leave already, you shamed yourself with your attempted position switch and I hate people who do that.

Either restate with references to previous positions, that you've had a change of ideas, (Like me in the Consantine thread where I admited I was wrong that Constantine had nothing to do with the Trinity), or stick by your guns.

But a slight change as I could clearly see, and I hope everyone else could to, is too insulting, it's a "trick" whether you intended to do that or just didn't think to mention an evolution in your thinking.

And it is one primarily used by those liberal fools the Democrats, swapping positions in time to save their A$ses from failure, which thankfully they totally failed this time on the War issue.

But I plainly showed the specific difference, if you want to really debate, and save good face in one, then don't "swap" positions under the table, just simply say what you thought and how you now came to a new conclusion.

You still didn't even come to a similar conclusion to what I've been basically arguing the whole time, and it's a shame we've gotten so side tracked on this tangent of how is English difficult or easy.

The fact is really it's not even easy to learn, I'm just giving you that.

I think it is laughable that a guy here who says "sir, I want hot dog there, how much dollar it costs?" says english is easy to learn.

Kinda like those Spanglish speakers saying English is easy to learn huh?

The only point is, that languages have evolved to something higher then they originated, but I give the benifit of the doubt, did languages begin with grunts? Who knows, however, they were not more sophisticated in the past then English is now.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hkot you are commiting the falicy of "argumentum adhominid" you are attacking the person instead of the argument.......but anyway I see your point of veiw. I think that there is a difference between learning English as a first or as a second language. If you learn it as your first, it is easier because you have nothing to compare it to in terms of language. If you learn it as your second, as I did, you are forced to compare it with your first language. This implicates difficulty because the grammer and sentence structure of the two languages is most likely different. Not to mention the sounds of letters. But Mandarin and English are very similar in sentence structure and verb agreement, even though they are written and spoken so differently.

I think that how "easy" English may be, is hard to say because it is very dependent on your previous language.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 01:21 AM
link   
You never even commented on what I said, now I have no idea what your talking about. I never changed my statement.

I will stick with what I have because I know its true.

English is the easiest language to learn, Like I first said.

I believe it because it is known through out the world. As for your Hot Dog comment, The person who ordered the hot dog obviously knows enough english to get around, so he has learned it.

By the the Way, Answer the F U C K E N questions, and comment on them, You spend more time thinking about how your going to insult me than to answer my questions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join