Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Would You Spare a cent? Please Direct Answers Yes or No

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
You are walking down a busy street getting to the place you need to go with all the time in the world
You then are apporached by an old man that appears to be sick, He asks you while the two of you keep eye contact, " Will You Please Spare Me Some Change Sir"

Would you spare him some change?
edit on 10-11-2012 by FeelingPure because: missing words

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
A single cent doesn't exist in Australia, but I would give him money, although I would prefer to just buy him food.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Because of your kindness i will grant you a star to appear!!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
It depends how much change I had saying as i'm not exactly rich myself, but I would atleast roll him up a couple of cigarettes.

Is this a trick question, is that guy really a conman or something?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
If I had the change sure. Normally I don't have any. It doesn't last long in Seattle since we have about 3 bums per street corner here.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

but I would atleast roll him up a couple of cigarettes.

i was thinking the exact same thing, but then i read in the op, the man is sick.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

If I gave him money, he might use that to further his addiction (drugs, alcohol, etc.)...so no, I would not give him money. I would probably buy him food or water.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure
You are walking down a busy street getting to the place you need to go with all the time in the world
You then are apporached by an old man that appears to be sick, He asks you while the two of you keep eye contact, " Will You Please Spare Me Some Change Sir"

Would you spare him some change?

You got the beggar mentality yourself it seems, starting off at a cent and escalating to spare change, then the bills and so forth.

loose butthole bruh
edit on 10-11-2012 by doesntmakesense because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
No money. I would buy him a meal and some extra food and water. Too many who appear sick are actually addicts. I will not subsidize their addiction. I would also offer him a ride to the local shelter after I fed him. Maybe buy him some clothes at Goodwill or Salvation Army if he needed them.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
If I have money on me I usually would spare some for the poor. Most often I give them 10 Danish kroner (which is around 1.70451 U.S. dollars.)

Who am I to judge what they choose to spend their money on
edit on 10-11-2012 by mc4denmark because: spelling

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I do if I have it and I feel like I should. Just as an aside anyone here from San Francisco because I was driving a few years ago from Seattle to Phoenix and I took the PCH and I've never seen as many people asking for money at stop lights as I saw there; like several people at every light and I've always wondered if that's what it's always like.

I grew up in Phoenix and live near seattle now and there were more in Phoenix than up here (because of the weather in Phoenix I assume) but not that many in Phoenix So I don't know how cynical I'd become if it happpend all the time like that. I know in tv shows and movies they make it seem like it's constant in places like New York.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

i did exactly that! 2 days ago, ONLY thing that really bugged me about the homeless guy i ran into was when he demanded change off me i felt like i was about to get robbed because i told him i didn't want to give him any money but i offered to buy him some food & water but he said he wants the money, I then tried to walk away but he kept pushing me back and wouldn't let me walk past him, till he saw another person about to walk pass me then started asking that stranger, I thought about what happen as i walked away and i was pretty dam mad how he could just walk up to me a demand some money off me even though i offered to by him food he denied my offer and wanted money, if that guy would have come back to me i would have given him a nice upper cut to the chin, Don't get me wrong i am willing to help others but if they push the limits id also be willing to provide them with a nice upper cut to the chin.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Yes, I absolutely would. In my opinion, as long as my intentions in giving him money are good, it is out of my control what he does with the money.

I am faced with this dilemma on a regular basis in the country that I live in. It's usual to see kids going through bins for food, little kids begging at traffic lights with no shoes on...unfortunately I don't have to go far to witness extreme poverty. I usually buy the kids some juice and some food and the look on their face is priceless when i give it to them. My theory is at least the child benefits directly from food as opposed to money who he will no doubt give to his parents, who I could happily throttle for putting their child out there to beg.

I was stopped by an old man a few days ago who claimed to be from West Bank and told me his money had all ran out and showed me a list of medication he needed to buy for his wife. I don't believe it is for me to pass judgement on if he is being truthful, but he seemed to be a dignified and yet desperate man.

I can't change the world, unfortunately, but all I can do is help in a small way.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
No.

What I've done in the past, though, is bought the person a meal, given them a gift certificate to a restaurant, or a gift card to Walmart. But I don't carry cash, and wouldn't give out cash anyway.

I'll never forget, I'd just picked up some pizzas for a party and at an intersection was a man and woman with one of the "will work for food" signs. I pulled over and gave them a pizza....and they cried. I cried, too, all the way home.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
No.

What I've done in the past, though, is bought the person a meal, given them a gift certificate to a restaurant, or a gift card to Walmart. But I don't carry cash, and wouldn't give out cash anyway.

I'll never forget, I'd just picked up some pizzas for a party and at an intersection was a man and woman with one of the "will work for food" signs. I pulled over and gave them a pizza....and they cried. I cried, too, all the way home.

Faith in humanity = Restored

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
There is a lot of people asking money on the street in my area. Most of them are alcoholic or addicts, besides homeless. I prefer to buy food for them, but most of them look in good conditions to work.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

You know what......God bless you sister !

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Yes.

They get me every time. I'd give them my last dollar. Around here, in the small town I live, we don't see a lot of people out asking for money and food. So when I do, I help them. I'd want someone to do the same for me if roles were reversed and I needed any small leg-up I could get.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A tramp asked me last night for 20 pence and i told him i don't carry money use my credit card for everything, so the answer is NO.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

YES, I would.

Buying food is best
...but on the other hand each person is responsible for his own actions. Whilst one does not want to encourage drug abuse and drinking in the bigger life picture we are each responsible for our choices. Even beggers.

Sad sad world we live in.
To much suffering by far.
It breaks my heart.
That man is someone's son, perhaps a father.
In a dog eat dog world gone mad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join