It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you spare the time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
At eleven o'clock GMT in the UK tomorrow many will observe two minuets of silence in remeberance of those who served, and those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the defence of freedom in two world wars, the subsequent conflicts, and the ongoing service, and sacrifice in current theater's of operation.

Those of us that make use of forums such as this one owe those who made, and continue to make these sacrifices our gratitude for our freedom to be able to freely express our views, and share information. You like me will probably have heard it said that the First World War was a futile waste of life however I would place a bet that people living today in Belgium, and Alsace Lorraine would not support that view. Those who fought in what was known in the Great War as it was known, by and large did so because they believed they knew the difference between right, and wrong, so it is a slight to their memory, and sacrifice to say that they naively gave their all for nothing.

The reasons for the start of Second World War are many but once again the fight against the aggressor was for the freedom of self determination, and the expression of independent thought. As to the conflicts that have been, and are being fought you have the freedom to express your opposition to those that initiate, finance, and profit from them if that is your view thanks to those who fought, and died in the conflicts of the past.

A ceremony of rememberance will be taking place somewhere near you tomorrow, will you take a small part of your day to honour the sacrifice made for your freedom to share your views on ATS. Or if you cannot get to a ceremony you could follow the events, and observe the silence through the media. If you have children you could use Sunday's ceremony to show how freedom always comes at a high price, and must never be taken for granted.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
No war has had anything to do with freedom. It's about profit.

I'll be taking a walk out into the desert to reflect on the deaths of those who were lied to when they signed up to go to war.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

I'll be taking a walk out into the desert to reflect on the deaths of those who were lied to when they signed up to go to war.

Surely if that were the case you would not be able to walk into the desert, or as I suggested in the post express your view

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

Surely if that were the case you would not be able to walk into the desert, or as I suggested in the post express your view

You assume that we have "freedom" as an end result of war.

I disagree with that.

In fact if you examine history over the last 100 years (encompassing both world wars) you will clearly see that freedom and liberty with respect to the commoner has been eroded systematically. Look no further than the US in that respect.

Today is Remembrance Day, it's not lost on me. To not remember is a vote for the continuance, perpetuation, and re-establishment of ignorance.

I vote to remember the men, women, and children that died for the select few who saw fit to sacrifice them on the alter of profit.

And in saying that... my silence now begins.......

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

You assume that we have "freedom" as an end result of war.

I disagree with that.

In fact if you examine history over the last 100 years (encompassing both world wars) you will clearly see that freedom and liberty with respect to the commoner has been eroded systematically. Look no further than the US in that respect.

Today is Remembrance Day, it's not lost on me. To not remember is a vote for the continuance, perpetuation, and re-establishment of ignorance.

I vote to remember the men, women, and children that died for the select few who saw fit to sacrifice them on the alter of profit.

And in saying that... my silence now begins.......

Incorrect, and erroneous I said that those who did the fighting in the conflicts believed they were fighting for the preservation of freedom. You may well be correct about the profit motive but the festival of rememberance is for the sacrifices made by brave and honourable people.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I remember, for my grandfather Sgt. Maj. Lloyd Prest, Seaforth Highlanders/PPCLI II, who volunteered in World war 2 and Korea. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him and from what I heard he barely survived so many times.
Lloyd is my middle name for a reason.

edit on 10-11-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

Good on you I hope you will be able to find the time to attend a ceremony, or observe the silence.
The Seaforth Highlanders a very fine, and now sadly defunct regiment.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

excuse me... but who the hell was it that went in for humanitarian reasons in WWII??? England, The Commonwealth went to war.

My Grand Father didn't die fighting because he had been lied to, he died fighting to free the Jewish and Polish People from Hitler's regime.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to the OP

I take the time. I will light a candle for my Grand Father who died at the Calvary Hospital in Canada from afflictions caused from the war on the 11th of the 11th at 11 PM not AM.

My Mother is a war baby, My Nan was English and met him whilst serving in WW!!, she was a plane spotter for the gatalan guns. Moyle Williams was a sniper from Canada and they met. He died without ever seeing his Daughter.
My Nan married my Poppy who are both deceased. He served too as an Ambo... Tommorrow is a very special day for me. To stop and remember just what they did and what others did to give us the life we have today.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
reply to post by HIWATT

excuse me... but who the hell was it that went in for humanitarian reasons in WWII??? England, The Commonwealth went to war.

My Grand Father didn't die fighting because he had been lied to, he died fighting to free the Jewish and Polish People from Hitler's regime.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to the OP

I take the time. I will light a candle for my Grand Father who died at the Calvary Hospital in Canada from afflictions caused from the war on the 11th of the 11th at 11 PM not AM.

My Mother is a war baby, My Nan was English and met him whilst serving in WW!!, she was a plane spotter for the gatalan guns. Moyle Williams was a sniper from Canada and they met. He died without ever seeing his Daughter.
My Nan married my Poppy who are both deceased. He served too as an Ambo... Tommorrow is a very special day for me. To stop and remember just what they did and what others did to give us the life we have today.

My heartfelt thanks to you friend, and to your grandparents for the sacrifices they made. I share your sentiments regarding Hiwatts contribution.

top topics

join