It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetism, Magnetic Fields and what are they?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Yes but the magnetism is not caused by the state of the electron shells, the state of the electron shells either allows or disallows the magnetic moments to become aligned, and that's what produces the magnetism.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

You are correct. I was speaking of the Construct that allows for it.

Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Since Matter and Energy are interchangeable...although we do not know how to do this...

Actually particle colliders do it all the time. When you collide particles travelling at near the speed of light, the collision is so energetic, that the particles actually fuse and turn into pure energy and then condense into another particle. And the particle that comes out doesn't need to be a reconfiguration of what went into the collision. You can get any particle for which you input enough energy. The faster you can make the particles go before colliding them, the more energetic and exotic the resulting particles will be. That's why the LHC is so large, they hope they can put enough energy into the collision so that they can create elusive mystery particles such as the Higgs boson.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Hi Split

I watched a horizon program saying the earths core consists of crystals. These are aligned N to S and allow the earths magnetic fields a path of less resistance.

A bar magnet I have always seen as a 'lens' that allows an easy path due to the aligned atoms to a force that is all around us similar way to the above example of the earth’s core.

Is that even close?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Back in the 80's the U.S. spent Multiple Billions of Dollars on the creation of the Desertron. This was a Massive Super Collider which makes the LHC look like a Doughnut. It was based in Texas and it was the source of the Unibombers reason for killing some people as he feared it would create a Black Hole that would swallow the Earth.

As it was near completion...the project was cancelled. Now no one spends that much money only to cancel such a huge project from being finished that close to completion.

The Reason? They already KNEW the results! Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Hello Colin...it would seem unlikely that the center of the Earth is as such since Earths Gravity Well creates such a great level of Gravitic Compression that any element would become Liquid Metal in it's nature. That and the fact that Earth depends on this spinning Liquid Metal Core to produce the Earths protective Magnetic Field which were not there we would all be very dead.

Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

here is a clip from the program and of course it is speculation as we cant get there I will try to find the whole program

What's it like at the centre of the eath

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

I still have a hard time believing that a Crystalline Structure of any kind could exist under that amount of Gravitic Compression. The Center Core would in my opinion be so concentrated by Gravity that it would preclude even the Growing of such Crystals.

It is more likely that the Core is comprised of Elements that have a much more ridged structure...sort of along the lines of a Carbon BUCKY BALL....but not Carbon.

Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Also...any Celestial Body of sufficient Mass will have a Core that is Super Heated to temps. in the extreme. The Sun is an example how given enough Mass...Gravitic Compression will create Fusion. Now Earth has no where near the amount of Mass necessary for the creation of a Fusion Reaction...Still it will be at extreme temps. and pressure.

I believe there is a threshold in which the growth of any crystalline structure will not be allowed as well as neither will a Fluid Liquid Metal. The Gravity Well that exists at Earth Center of Gravity would most likely have partial Special Effects that are Physics Busting in their nature.

Such Effects are present in Extreme quantities of Mass such as a Black Hole and although Earths Gravity Well is microscopic to it's effect relative to a Black Hole...it is reasonable to assume a direct quantity of mass to amount of Special Effect may be present at Earth Core as well. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Found it but you only have 16 hours to watch it.

Iplayer Horizon

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo
It is the second time I have posted this link here. I am fascinated with Ed Leedskanlin's "beginner's mind" understanding of magnetism. (1945)

"Magnetic current is the same as electric current. Current is a wrong expression. Really it is not one current, they are two currents, one current is composed of individual North Pole magnets in concentrated streams and the other is composed of individual South Pole magnets in concentrated streams, and they are running one stream against the other stream in whirling, screwlike fashion, and with high speed..."

I recall that he says the magnetic force is actually a lot of tiny magnets, and about getting more and more of these magnets moving along a line, thus creating a physical force... it is beautiful to read because he is so simple, yet expressing ideas I think that are unacknowledged by science. As you say, magnetism remains a mystery.

But to realize the physical miracle of Ed's creation, Coral Castle, is to realize that he had a profound understanding of natural forces and their potential utilization.

I wish I could wrap my head around Ed's little paper.

Ed, can be better understood by doing easy experiments, some he even gave to help understand what he was explaining. I suggest doing them, to get an understanding beyond the conceptual. The earths magnetic field has a polarity, of North and South poles, that a compass responds to. One fun experiment to help understand some of his work; is to grab a compass, iron bar, and a hammer. Find North on the compass, then hold the iron bar exactly North with the compass, next give the iron bar a sharp blow with the hammer. Guess what just happened? You just magnetized the iron bar. Now think about that, in relation to what some of Ed says and what you've posted

Electricity, as it relates to a magnet? I have not spent much time pondering the mechanics, outside of electromagnets. But my interest has been re-kindled...thanks OP. I need to finish all my other projects; so I can dive deeper into this subject...as it is one of my favorite things ever.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by colin42

Iplayer Horizon

16 HOURS! I can barely get through the News without getting restless! LOL!
Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

My god, you sir do not do yourself justice at all, your knowledge of this subject is "expert" in nature, when compared even to the learned.

If I may for a moment pick your brain. Why is it, in your summation, that a natural body, short of a magnetar, produces such a low level gauss field, than is capable by electromagnets here and now on earth, without even using super conductors?

ETA- to be more specific, we herfe on earth create gauss fields that are factors higher even than the sun itself, yet this occurs even without using superconducting magnets.

If super conducting magnets are used, the gauss field potential is limited only by our ability to feed it power. So why is it that when we use simple to create current, we can make such a overpowered gauss filed with much ease, but nature does not produce these fields except in the most extreme of cases(magnetars).

It simply stated, occurs to one, that the universe wastes nothing, yet fails to use the magnetic monopoly at its disposal forfar greater use than it is observed using.

This has always made me wander, as every other force seems to be used to near its full potential, save electromagnetism in the natural world.

It is almost as if the universe, as efficient as it is on all the other 3 forces, wastes its most powerful force, and barely even uses its potential at all.

For example: gravity is the most obious of the 4( known) yet a simple "load staone" defies it, and nature seems to not capitaise on its use, the way it does gravity, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

Nature follows the laws of balance and not efficiency. Remember the physic law that Energy cannot be created or destroyed in nature but only transformed. This balance is recognised in various laws of physics. One of these is Guass law of magnetsim. The law defines the requirement that the number of magnetic field lines" entering and exiting a sphere or rectangular volume in space are the same.

For a natural body as the Earth itself the reason why the magnetic field is weak over the earths surface is because of the large diameter of earth, which requires field lines travelling from the north to south pole to transverse a long distance.

Im not very knowledgable on Super conductors. I know however that resistivity of metals drops with drop in ambient temperature. Therefore drop the temperature low enough and theoretically the metal should have no resistance. I guess this is the basic idea behind Super conductors. If the Universe ever cools then mabey for those who are around still they will have access to natural forming superconductors.

edit on 10-11-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

It is the second time I have posted this link here. I am fascinated with Ed Leedskanlin's "beginner's mind" understanding of magnetism. (1945)

"Magnetic current is the same as electric current. " I wish I could wrap my head around Ed's little paper.
It's foolish to try.

There is no such thing as magnetic current. Leedskalnin did some experiments but he was mainly ignorant of lots of research he had never been exposed to because he was uneducated.

Try taking the free MIT courses instead, then you won't be a fool, and you can try to wrap your head around something that not only makes sense, but is the foundation of all of our modern technology.
edit on 10-11-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Magnetism is vibrational energy. Vibrational energy created by the flow of electrons, or a mass synchronous flow. It is my personal belief that magnetism is one of the most in-your-face expressions of quantum divinity. We just don't look at it that way because that's not what we think of when we imagine such things.

But what do we know, right?
edit on 10-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Originally posted by colin42

Iplayer Horizon

16 HOURS! I can barely get through the News without getting restless! LOL!
Split Infinity
16 hours left to watch, the program is about 50 mins not 16 hours long

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

That's only available in the UK. Is there anything for the Yanks?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Atoms spin and even organic atoms has characterics of magnetism, my wildest guess is Big Bang..

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

"Magnetic current is the same as electric current. Current is a wrong expression. Really it is not one current, they are two currents, one current is composed of individual North Pole magnets in concentrated streams and the other is composed of individual South Pole magnets in concentrated streams, and they are running one stream against the other stream in whirling, screwlike fashion, and with high speed..."

I recall that he says the magnetic force is actually a lot of tiny magnets, and about getting more and more of these magnets moving along a line, thus creating a physical force... it is beautiful to read because he is so simple, yet expressing ideas I think that are unacknowledged by science. As you say, magnetism remains a mystery.

But to realize the physical miracle of Ed's creation, Coral Castle, is to realize that he had a profound understanding of natural forces and their potential utilization.

I wish I could wrap my head around Ed's little paper.

that is awesome..,.,.,., well what he makes me think of with that,,,,, is he is describing charged particles,,,, positive and negative,,, and perhaps they are the individual little "magnets",,,

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Since Matter and Energy are interchangeable...although we do not know how to do this...

Actually particle colliders do it all the time. When you collide particles travelling at near the speed of light, the collision is so energetic, that the particles actually fuse and turn into pure energy and then condense into another particle. And the particle that comes out doesn't need to be a reconfiguration of what went into the collision. You can get any particle for which you input enough energy. The faster you can make the particles go before colliding them, the more energetic and exotic the resulting particles will be. That's why the LHC is so large, they hope they can put enough energy into the collision so that they can create elusive mystery particles such as the Higgs boson.

can you describe what "pure energy" is?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join