It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street campaigners buy-up debt to abolish it

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Why penalize those (like me) who did not get into debt?

I didn't get into debt with the Banks or anyone else. But I have to pay for their "mistakes".

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I suppose the ultimate debt is homelessness.

Not my fault I can't find 4 part time jobs.

4 part time jobs amounts to 16 hours a day at minimum wage.

You go do it.

Fuct I am.

And I share.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by cornucopia

Why? Because I cannot afford to. I work in the arts.
A good year for me is $30,000. An average year is $20,000. My best year has been $50,000. I live in California, so this is not a lot of money.

So again I ask, why reward those who were not responsible with their money?

what makes you choose the word "reward"?

why not "award"? Or "gift"? Is the idea of a gift that bothersome?

I hear what you are saying about your own personal struggle. Why let that sour you to someone elses good fortune?

I think you just illustrated why teachers will say, "If you didn't bring enough for the whole class...." There is always someone to complain how unfair it is that they didn't get their cut.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

A good year for me is $30,000. An average year is $20,000. My best year has been $50,000. I live in California, so this is not a lot of money.

Because you have been duped by the media propaganda that people irresponsible with their money are the problem. Nothing could be further from the truth. Every bank loan in America is a fraud, www.abovetopsecret.com...

The vast majority struggling are hard working responsible citizens trying to live withn thier means. Their property values have droped up to 50% and they have been laid off by the millions due to the fraud. I have a grade A credit rating and have been out of work for almost 3 years and barely surviving on handyman work etc. my house lost over half of its value I did not buy above my means...

So stop repeating the propaganda and educate yourself... read the link I posted above and realize this is how they blew the bubble up astronomically that has now deflated and continues to deflate that is the real problem. It ain't over yet...

Canceling this debt this way is a good outside the box idea! It will be good for the economy as it will help clear out the bad debt. They buy the debt for pennies on the dollar on the discount market like mortgage holders do but instead of continuing to fleece the duped borrower they cancel it.

My only concern is verification the money donated is going where it is supposed to needs to be clear so people feel comfortable donating.
edit on 10-11-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

With love and respect, and honestly I appreciate everyone who disagrees with me, and recognize most posters who have responded, but I read far more than I post, so I do not expect folk to recognize me. And sorry for making this thread "ish" about me. That was not my intent.

I live within my means. I work in the arts freelance at the moment, although I usually hold prestigious titles. Which means at least in my area, I have to fight to make $1000 for 6 weeks (part time: most is prep which can be done around another job).
My fiancee also holds a job in the arts. She makes about $24,000 a year before taxes, or in other words a bit above min. wage. So the two of us together make $40,000 to $50,000 in a given year on average.

I do not argue others have it worse off. What I do argue is many people have made mistakes that have cost them money or investments.
I, however, do not see why that should cause such a glut of sympathy.
One time in my life, I have needed a credit card, and was able to use my father's. I wrote him a check for the amount the same day.
That one time was due to a snow drift and icy roads and no chains, and the tow truck driver not accepting checks.
Otherwise my opinion is life would be far less expensive if we didn't live in this credit society.

I understand sympathy, but do not think a worker as a cashier at McD's should be able to buy a house. The banks did, and now we are here.

I'm not sure if you've been in the wedding market lately but the average wedding these days is about $24,000. We have got the price down to $4-8000 for ours.
My parents were going to send us to Australia, for our honeymoon, but I've had to tap that cash flow just to make the wedding happen.
Sadly her Mom and Dad are unable to pay for the wedding, although that's traditional.
I'm really not upset about this, but I do feel some guilt about not giving her the honeymoon she wants.

So yeah. Those of us that were responsible with money, are getting nothing right now. Which is cool, I have never asked for anything, although I did collect unemployment for about 4 months, over the space of 8 months a few years back.
But I do resent the view, that we as citizens owe the folks that didn't read the fine print something for their mistakes.
I lost my job in 2009. I've been freelance since. I bought my house last year. I'm not saying everyone is as lucky as me, just saying everyone can live debt free, if they look at what they are agreeing to.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by discolo

I am arguing the same point?
Did I say something to disagree with your views?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
I suppose the ultimate debt is homelessness.

Not my fault I can't find 4 part time jobs.

4 part time jobs amounts to 16 hours a day at minimum wage.

You go do it.

Fuct I am.

And I share.

I find a part time gig all the time. Most of those require hours not conducive for other work. Glad you can afford to share. I cannot. I have a house, and a truck, and a wedding to pay for.
Tell me to work for 16 hours a day at minimum wage when I am in a salaried position (not right now) that pays $2.50 an hour for my 18 hour days (no overtime). That gig is coming up again for my 17th year soon.
So glad you can afford to share.
I'm willing to take donations. . .

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

what makes you choose the word "reward"?

why not "award"? Or "gift"? Is the idea of a gift that bothersome?

I hear what you are saying about your own personal struggle. Why let that sour you to someone elses good fortune?

I think you just illustrated why teachers will say, "If you didn't bring enough for the whole class...." There is always someone to complain how unfair it is that they didn't get their cut.

If an individual is willing to take on debt. Then they have an obligation to pay said debt. If it is cancelled out by others, than they have received a gift.
Therefore my specific language in reward. People are rewarding people who have made bad investments.
I don't care about my cut. And honestly I don't care about money. Money is an intangible. There is nothing to back it for true services rendered.
My personal struggle is nothing. I bring it up only as a debate aid, and personal experience. Which may or may not have been successful.
I could care less about getting my slice. I do however care about others getting a slice if they didn't participate.
Maybe I am tainted from my preschool stories
www.enchantedlearning.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

You Sound Like This Guy I know, He's a good friend and has cutting perception. But My concern for this, is someone's making money lottery style off the misfortune of others, and writing it off for them. It may be a win win, or there is more to it.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by discolo

Why penalize those (like me) who did not get into debt?

I didn't get into debt with the Banks or anyone else. But I have to pay for their "mistakes".

And just how are you being penalized?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
If this is indeed happening , i am very excited to see people seeing a problem and finding a win win situation, may it/this continue , lsol

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I'm sorry, I've been duped although I am living my life, have bought a house, have a car that had 7 miles on it before I test drove it in 06, 21 miles on it in when I drove it off the lot as mine.

I got laid off too, and didn't buy a house until the market got far beyond the artificial bubble it was. My mother wanted me to buy at the top of the market. Good investments et al.

I educated myself. Do not get angry at me for your mistakes.
By my insurance my house is worth over $100,000 more than what I paid for it, at least to rebuild it. And I've put a good amount into refurbishing it. I sympathize with you, but is your anger really at me?

I totally agree with you about the donation programs.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by matthewgraybeal

You Sound Like This Guy I know, He's a good friend and has cutting perception. But My concern for this, is someone's making money lottery style off the misfortune of others, and writing it off for them. It may be a win win, or there is more to it.

I know a few Matthews. I make my money working in theater and music, if you're in central California and in the same industry we may have crossed paths.
I hear your concern, and honestly echo it.
There is no win/win is someone is being taken advantage of.
But ultimately I expect people to take responsibility for themselves. All of the bail out bull etc. just gets my goat as I live my life just making enough to get by, and others get hand outs, be it from the government or the populace.
Which is why I will continue to say where's my handout for being responsible?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

I am being penalized by living within my means.
Shoot- I could have bought a crap ton of thing that I could write off due to my work that I would love to have. But I didn't because I couldn't afford them.
If I knew I could have my debt forgiven, my fiancee would have plenty of extras including a far better engagement ring than what I could afford.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I think that was Bush's 300 bucks he gave back everyone after taxes, a few years back. lol A reward for responsibility is in order, again the rest of us got 200 bucks in foodstamps monthly in some states.

The guvernment is so confused with itself.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I still pay my taxes, but have more and more services cut. The extra money goes towards paying the debt my country owes to the Banks.
Health care is one example.
Education is another. All of my Kids teachers have had to take a cut in wages. Whole sections of the school closed down, can't afford it. (No Money this year for sport equipment or extra curricular courses like C.P.R or even the chess club. Not feasible to employ a teacher any more so a parent has to do it leaving work early.
My village had to raise it's own money to fix the only road in, council promised year after year but it got worse and worse. Is this not why I pay my local taxes?
We had a series of music gigs and sold beer and food to raise the money which we did.
Local police turn up to try to fine us for having an illegal business.
The rubbish collections have been cut, The Park wardens responsible for creating the firebreaks, clearing blockages in the river e.t.c Have been told they can only fill their fuel tanks twice a week(land rovers) and so can not travel to where they need to be. It has already been the cause of much death here with people drowning and being literally swept away in the last (regular) storm.
The reason, local gov decided to try to save money by not clearing the storm drains.
I could go on and on.

Just saw on the news another suicide victim, a 53 year old woman who worked for the local gov (not a lazy scrounger) could not afford her mortgage which she got presumably when she had a job (for life). Job cut to save money. Here's a news article in english
rt.com...

The good thing is, it's forcing people to work together for our own benefit. Every cloud and all that jazz.

edit on 10-11-2012 by discolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

See above reply mate!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

you didn't read my link did you... Please read and learn or at least listen to this www.freedomsphoenix.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

The Rolling Jubilee project is seeking donations to help it buy-up distressed debts, including student loans and outstanding medical bills, and then wipe the slate clean by writing them off.

This is the bit you're all missing.

They're asking for money to do it, so far they've managed to get $500, now they're all out. They're not doing it themselves, they want others to fund it.

I'm guessing all those people in favour of it on here will be the first to donate?

They want free money. Same as the banks they despise.
edit on 10-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Awesome. Another way for people who were not responsible with money to be rewarded for their ineptitude.
When I was growing up, you got rewarded for doing things correctly.

Hey world, where's my bailout for having no public debt, and deciding to live within my means?

Tar everyone with the same brush much? There is people out there that have been genuinely f**cked over and need this kind of help.

We all make mistakes. You included.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join