It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tarrytown suit: Con Edison gave 'false' power-outage info

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
www.lohud.com...

I truly understand that things could go more smoothly. We all would like free desert after buying dinner. We all want more for less. We want perfection, and we don't want to make it ourselves, or pay for it. We want to hear promises, even if they are impossible to keep. This storm, Sandy, put almost a million Con Ed customers off the grid. Their previous all time record was around 200,000 customers out. Now, I find it appalling that people blindly expect instant remediation at a time like this. Think about it. If Con Ed could raise it's fees by say 350%, maybe they could keep a 300% larger staff on hand, sitting on their thumbs, just in case this ever happens again. Yay, we can go from 11 days out of power down to maybe only 5 days of pain and suffering. I mean we can't sue mother nature, can we? Maybe we can!

How do you think these folks would react to a 350% hike in pricing structures?

Electricity is not a right, last time I checked.

I may be off base here?? and I agree there is mucho room for improvement, but perfection will NEVER be reached. Safe to say, everyone, or maybe some of us, have learned something here.

Self entitlement....

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zayonara
Safe to say, everyone, or maybe some of us, have learned something here.

Self entitlement....

Don't know.
Had no power for 10 days after Ike but I wasn't freezing my tuckus off at the time.

I assume you are writing this thread on a pentium 0.1 coal fired computer while sitting on a stump in five inches of snow and cupping a candle next to the screen right?
Or are you lecturing unhappy people, some with no power, some with no homes inside of your lit and heated house?

Just wondering.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
From what my friends up there in that immediate area are saying to me, it's not the mere speed of service. Although I recall my own time for almost 2 weeks following an Ice storm. Thats a real nightmare alone. It's the stories of red tape being thrown around crews coming from outside the area and formal processes every house has to go through beyond the barest minimums to assure safety (I.E. no one is at direct threat of injury type minimums).

When this part of Missouri basically got wiped out for ice loaded trees by the thousands taking down our overhead lines essentially everywhere. (It was nightmare scale to everyone...), the city and state waived pretty much all permit, licensing and related requirements for virtually everything. Getting it all back up and running was the only priority. Even masts on homes were repaired on an honor system for getting inspected and permitted after the fact with nothing but an eyeball check by crews to verify one recently replaced was physically safe to stay connected/reconnected at the point of turning neighborhoods back on.

Is everything humanly possible for regulation, permitting and other non-critical issues being waved in a similar way? (Electricity isn't a right perhaps, but it's life and death in some times of the year, eh?)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I spend at least 10 days a year off the grid, due to "events beyond my control". Never once did we think we should sue. Instead, I plan and prepare. I also help out where I can. Let's sue right away...before the rain even stops. There is ALWAYS someone with more problems than you. Always. That argument is a dead end.

We know the infrastructure in this part of the country sucks. It's old stuff. To improve it, or prevent this situation, there are only a few ways; all of them prohibitively expensive. A lawsuit won't fix it. The lawsuit is certainly to recoup the cost of all their lost wine and cheese.
edit on 9-11-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Silly humans...

"Fustrating"! They say, after a hundred year storm, I swear a meteorite could hit an these retards will be complaining how hot it is. Damn plastic bubble we live in! We just got power back today. It was bad where I was, had to chainsaw my way out. Am I complaining ? Hell no! Con ed and the town did an absolute AMAZING job! Looked like a nuclear bomb went off, two weeks later we are back to staring at pretty lights on the black boxes. These sub humans need to realize how delicate everything is and how lucky we are. Con ed is a union/monopoly but at least they do a good job.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Con Edison gets subpoena in Superstorm Sandy probe (LIPA too)

www.lohud.com...

...And there go our "bargain" prices for power!

Yeah and do all these whiners remember these stories now? Of course not. Humans suck.

"Con Ed's Cutting Style Angers Residents"
irvtrees.blogspot.com...

"Con Ed tree cutting in Greenburgh, Yonkers angers many"
www.topix.com...

"Westchester Residents Lash Out At Con Ed Tree Trim - CH 2 CBS Local News"
irvtrees.blogspot.com...

edit on 14-11-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join