Massive black hole exists in the Sword of Orion (1000 L.Y. from Earth)

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
An interesting finding from University of Queensland (Australia) :

Using sophisticated computer modelling programs, the team found these fast-moving stars, visible in the night sky and known as the Orion Nebula Cluster, were potentially held together through the powerful gravitational pull of a black hole up to 200 times the mass of the sun.

Source:Link

The conclusion above was reached after modeling the strange behavior of the stars in the Orion constellation. To be noted that Orion constellation is the home of the Betelgeuse star - a massive star expected to die at any time:

Link

It looks like the "Gods" could not come from Orion as the life of the super massive stars of Orion is too short and too energetic + a potential black hole right in the middle of it

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Very interesting. I would imagine black holes are more common than we believe. Maybe there could even be a lin between black hols and dark energy. Every year it seems we learn more and more abour our universe. One of the days a break through discovery could greatly aid mankind or at least our knowledge base. Thanks for posting this I have been away from tech lately and am just now cathing up on the interseting stuff.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Just a couple of hours by Faster Than Light drive then.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

The various stars forming what we call the constellation of Orion are of many varying distances from Earth. The Orion Nebula, referred to in this research, is around 1,300 light years away. Betelgeuse is only 640 light years away. They just coincidently appear in the same area of sky as visible from Earth.

The presence of a black hole in the Orion nebula has no bearing whatsoever on any other star in the constellation.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I imagined that black holes are notable for energetic X-ray emissions from inflowing material, so it's a bit of a surprise to me that a black hole in the middle of a nebula, and surrounded by massive stars, is so quiet and undetectable. Those stars (Trapezium) are well-known and have been observed many times.

arXiv abstract and pdf:
arxiv.org...
arxiv.org...

One interesting suggestion is that this black hole formed out of a super-high-mass star that resulted from stars colliding with each other.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Anyone else feel that irrational fear gripping their souls?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

why fear the unknown? The things we do know is far more fearful, than the unknown. If we did fear the unknown, how on earth would we have progressed this far?? What if a black hole was actually a stargate, or a worm hole to another galaxy.Fearful....no, exciting....yes.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepolish1

why fear the unknown? The things we do know is far more fearful, than the unknown. If we did fear the unknown, how on earth would we have progressed this far?? What if a black hole was actually a stargate, or a worm hole to another galaxy.Fearful....no, exciting....yes.

Our understanding of black holes may be a bit lofty, sure, but I seriously doubt, star-gate or not, we would survive going through one.

You take the optimistic approach, which is good I guess, but I however understand that space, while mysterious and mesmerizing, hardly deserves such optimism if only for the many of ways it can destroy our asses.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Thank you, I try to look at every bad thing and bring a good light to it. Of course, I have alot of knowledge of space also, if we were to go thru a black hole, I know we wouldn't survive. And yes, there is alot of $hit in space that can kill us, but why dwell on it, we can not control it, some people just worry themselves to an early grave.

I work hard and I play hard. Live life to the fullest, an asteroid could take you out, or could die in an accident, live each day of your life like it was your last.
edit on 11-11-2012 by thepolish1 because: lost a thought

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
the orion nebula

right on que.....

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Funny that i was just thinking the same thing.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CONEDESTROYA

What do you both mean........'right on cue...?'

PDUK

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Originally posted by CONEDESTROYA

What do you both mean........'right on cue...?'

PDUK

the ancient egyptians believed the orion nebula was the return portal of the dead king

mount gibili at giza

seems like there is religion in modern science!

peace

new topics
top topics

join