It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murray Energy Fires 163 Coal Workers as Punishment for Obama Win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Coal company announces layoffs in response to Obama win
(CNN.com)
Murray Energy, the same coal mine operator that forced it's workers to attend a Romney campaign event - or else (see: Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate) has decided to make good on it's threat to fire workers for Obama's win.

CEO Robert Murray has his head buried in the sand, if he can't see that Natural Gas has caused Coal use to drop, in some areas sharply. I hope those workers take him to court for wrongful termination.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
These companies are pretty clear in saying the layoffs are done due to fears of tax increases and obamacare, not as punishment.
edit on 9-11-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
(CNN.com)
Murray Energy, the same coal mine operator that forced it's workers to attend a Romney campaign event - or else (see: Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate) has decided to make good on it's threat to fire workers for Obama's win.

CEO Robert Murray has his head buried in the sand, if he can't see that Natural Gas has caused Coal use to drop, in some areas sharply. I hope those workers take him to court for wrongful termination.

Let's say that you are right and that the decline is caused solely by increased natural gas usage(bammy and his anti-coal, "I will destroy the coal industry" policies had nothing to do with it
). There is still a decline in coal consumption and thus less need for coal miners. Costs need to be cut to remain viable given the smaller market. That the employer decided to retain like minded employees is not unreasonable imo.
edit on 9-11-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
(CNN.com)

Let's say that you are right and that the decline is caused solely by increased natural gas usage(bammy and his anti-coal, "I will destroy the coal industry" policies had nothing to do with it
). There is still a decline in coal consumption and thus less need for coal miners. Costs need to be cut to remain viable given the smaller market. That the employer decided to retain like minded employees is not unreasonable imo.

Costs need to be cut not to remain viable in the market but so the CEO's and execs can still make nice 7-8 figure incomes. the first thing one should do when cutting costs is to eliminate "non essential spending". i seem to be one of the few who thinks the top should get a wage cut since paying 200k more(just an example) is alot easier for people making 10 million a year then paying 5k more is to those who make 50k

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Wow. Can you link me to a reputable source where Obama says "Iwill bankrupt the coal industry". I was totally unaware that he said that.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

It's hardly "punishment." It's a reflection of economic reality we'll be seeing more and more. Obama does not like coal. The furtherance of his administration means more and more restrictions will be placed on coal. Companies will have a harder and harder time existing. Unemployment is the result. Duh. Businesses will not be expanding because Obama won. The DJIA went down almost 500 points in the two days after the election (a slight 4 point rebound today). Do you think this is coincidence? Of course not. It's a direct reaction to knowing that if Obama is not actually anti-business, he certainly hasn't a clue about how businesses operate, having not even run a lemonade stand in his entire life, though he's quite willing to gamble public money on "businesses" like Solyndra that are politically correct, but lose money.

Expect more. In fact, expect recession. This is going to get a whole lot worse.

edit on 11/9/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Company statements give some genuine reasons.

The layoffs are necessary because of the president's "war on coal," the statement said. The slogan is one used frequently during the election by Murray Energy CEO Robert Murray, who was an ardent supporter of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

"There is nowhere to sell our coal, and when we can, the market prices are far lower," the statement said. "Without markets, there can be no coal mines and no coal jobs."

Coal demand from U.S. power generation companies is down 17 percent this year, according to the federal Energy Information Administration's most recent figures. That's due in large part to low market prices for natural gas, and has the EIA forecasting the lowest coal consumption in at least two decades by the nation's electricity industry.

Utah company blames Pres. Obama for 102 workers laid off

So geniuses.....tell us how to replace those lost jobs ?

or are these workers all your sacrificial lambs for the common good ?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508

Wow. Can you link me to a reputable source where Obama says "Iwill bankrupt the coal industry". I was totally unaware that he said that.

Obama administration is waging a war on coal consistent with his statement in 2008 to the San Francisco Chronicle that under his administration, "If someone wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It's just that it will bankrupt them."

Here is one link

Obama talked with The Chronicle editorial board Jan. 17 2008 for an interview. In his wide-ranging session with the paper, the Democratic senator from Illinois spoke about his energy plan and an "aggressive" cap-and-trade policy, and spoke about bankrupting the coal industry.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Company statements give some genuine reasons.

The layoffs are necessary because of the president's "war on coal," the statement said. The slogan is one used frequently during the election by Murray Energy CEO Robert Murray, who was an ardent supporter of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

"There is nowhere to sell our coal, and when we can, the market prices are far lower," the statement said. "Without markets, there can be no coal mines and no coal jobs."

Coal demand from U.S. power generation companies is down 17 percent this year, according to the federal Energy Information Administration's most recent figures. That's due in large part to low market prices for natural gas, and has the EIA forecasting the lowest coal consumption in at least two decades by the nation's electricity industry.

Utah company blames Pres. Obama for 102 workers laid off

So geniuses.....tell us how to replace those lost jobs ?

or are these workers all your sacrificial lambs for the common good ?

Slash some CEO's tires, and wait for tire sales to go up?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
CEO: "I think my taxes will go up so I think I'll fire you."

This is what happens when you let the rich become powerful enough to destroy you.

In more level-headed news; these layoffs likely have nothing to do with Obama and everything to do with the increased production of natural gas leading to the reduced production of coal. But hey, never let an opportunity to attack the president go to waste.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well, isnt this the free market the republicans are so into? if you can't survive in the market you've got to go. it's supply and demand.

Does the saying "cut of your nose to spite your face" come to anyone elses mind?

edit on 11/9/2012 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet
well, isnt this the free market the republicans are so into? if you can't survive in the market you've got to go. it's supply and demand.

WOW! I tell you what. Make coal subject only to free market and not to government regulation. Do the same for alternative power. No government backing, no government interference. I guarantee you that coal makes a huge come back almost instantly. The hard part would be finding enough qualified miners. There would be so many job openings that your head would swim. Just get the government out of the way and let the market go to work. Liberals would never go for it of course.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Just Google Did Obama say he would bankrupt the coal industry?

There are youtube videos of his speak. He didn't quite say that .

newsbusters.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Here is a link

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

well, isnt this the free market the republicans are so into? if you can't survive in the market you've got to go. it's supply and demand.

WOW! I tell you what. Make coal subject only to free market and not to government regulation. Do the same for alternative power. No government backing, no government interference. I guarantee you that coal makes a huge come back almost instantly. The hard part would be finding enough qualified miners. There would be so many job openings that your head would swim. Just get the government out of the way and let the market go to work. Liberals would never go for it of course.

don't you think an industry that's been around for as long as coal wouldnt have a leg up on any upcoming alternative energy? it doesnt mean there isnt money to made from alternative power. it just means the old money will fight tooth and nail to stay on top as long as they can. and we all know that big money speaks loudest.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

don't you think an industry that's been around for as long as coal wouldnt have a leg up on any upcoming alternative energy? it doesnt mean there isnt money to made from alternative power. it just means the old money will fight tooth and nail to stay on top as long as they can. and we all know that big money speaks loudest.
That wasn't your comment. You said that coal could not survive in a free market. I called you out in regard to that statement. Now you want to redefine your statement. Obama, is that you?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

That wasn't your comment. You said that coal could not survive in a free market. I called you out in regard to that statement. Now you want to redefine your statement. Obama, is that you?

ohhh you got me. i was being hyperbolic. im not back pedaling at all. what im saying is that its moronic to lay people off because your baseball team didnt win the world series and use the potential downturn in business as an excuse.

if i was a shareholder, i would be pissed that i am entrusting my money to an idiot with a grudge.

oh and coal isnt going to survive for ever.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

ohhh you got me. i was being hyperbolic. im not back pedaling at all. what im saying is that its moronic to lay people off because your baseball team didnt win the world series and use the potential downturn in business as an excuse.

if i was a shareholder, i would be pissed that i am entrusting my money to an idiot with a grudge.

oh and coal isnt going to survive for ever.
There is no "potential downturn", there is a very real downturn caused solely by governmental policies. The business must lay off workers due to lessening demand for their product. Pure and simple economics. Demand goes down, income goes down, costs must be cut. Here, that means job losses. Those coal miners who voted for obama voted to lose their jobs. That is reality. Why should the mine owner layoff those workers who did not vote to lose their jobs? Elections have consequences. These now out of work miners have only themselves to blame.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

.There is no "potential downturn", there is a very real downturn caused solely by governmental policies. The business must lay off workers due to lessening demand for their product. Pure and simple economics. Demand goes down, income goes down, costs must be cut. Here, that means job losses. Those coal miners who voted for obama voted to lose their jobs. That is reality. Why should the mine owner layoff those workers who did not vote to lose their jobs? Elections have consequences. These now out of work miners have only themselves to blame.

with the existing downturn why wait until obama won to lay people off? why didnt they go before? holding out for romney to save the day? Because its defiant grandstanding and these workers are being used as fodder for someone elses political agenda ex post facto.

I am in no way an obama fanboy but obama isnt 100% to blame

Not all of these rules are Obama Administration initiatives. Many began development under the Bush Administration, including several that were promulgated under that Administration and subsequently were vacated or remanded to EPA by the courts. Within the Clean Air Act group, for example, most of the major rules, including the agency's boiler rules and two of the major rules affecting electric power plants (the Cross-State Air Pollution Rule and the MACT rule [Mercury and Air Toxics Standards rule that will require that utilities limit hazardous air emissions using the Maximum Available Control Technology (MACT)]) fit that description. Other EPA actions, such as reconsideration of the ozone air quality standard, have actually delayed for several years implementation of Bush Administration rules that would have strengthened existing standards. [Congressional Research Service, 8/8/12]

edit on 11/9/2012 by homeskillet because: grammar

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Oh, so Obama didn't really SAY the quote you attributed to him. What he ACTUALLY said is that given the current market situation building a coal powered plant will bankrupt the power company. No difference there, eh? And everything that I've read --- including information cited by the king of Obama haters, xuenchen --- points out that the coal industry is being impacted by low natural gas prices and falling demand for coal. Are you suggesting that perhaps the federal government should give the coal industry a subsidy to offset that?

edit on 10-11-2012 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join