It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interactive: Republicans / Conservatives / Libertarians: Let's write a new party platform

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I agree with this, adoption programs should be promoted, as well as contraceptive use. I personally approve of the morning after pill, since I think that spiritual development of an unborn child happens around 5-6 months. This should honestly cover most abortion issues.

In the case that someone was raped, they should be given the morning after pill as part of their rape kit, and policies that promote women reporting rape should be put in place (at the moment women are afraid to report rape and rape charges are often dismissed or not taken seriously). There is also another pill that works up to two weeks after conception.

In the rare case that the health of the mother is in question, an abortion might be considered. If the child is found to be disabled in some way, I don't think abortion is an ethical option.

This policy sounds fair to me. If someone needs to get an abortion and wasn't able to do it in the methods described above, I honestly think they are being irresponsible.
edit on 10-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I dont consider fetuses before they develop cortical brain waves (5th month) to be persons. Mindless life is not a person, but a thing. And things have no rights. Even killing an adult dog is more immoral than killing a first trimester fetus in my opinion, since the dog is sentient.

Convicted criminals should still have rights, they are still persons after all. Altrough my opposition to capital punishment is based more on the possibility of judicial mistakes and I think its a big slippery slope to give the government the right to kill its own citizens. Also economics - unless its used liberally, capital punishment is actually more costly than life inprisonment.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I agree with your policy on these issues.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This is an ambitious project. Good luck with getting 100% agreement on every item though. If you demand 100% agreement, then you will have a million different platforms (probably many more).

I consider myself a democrat because that is the party that I "mostly" agree with (not 100%). There are elements of the libertarian party, the green party, and even the republican party that I agree with. I can already see many elements posted by people here that I agree and disagree with. It's going to be impossible to get a total consensus, so ya - good luck with that.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

There are elements of the libertarian party, the green party, and even the republican party that I agree with.

Indeed. This is why I think the whole system should be somehow overhauled so that people vote on issues, not on parties. Nothing kills critical thinking more effectively than those pre-cooked ideological packages.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by darkbake

Abortion, should be legal IMHO, I dont like it, and consider it a moral travesty, but who am I to decide things that effect another for their entire lifetime?

That's probably the "normal" attitude for people to have. The problem comes when you dig a little bit deeper into the issue. Your tax dollars go toward abortion. Do you still have the same attitude knowing that you're paying for abortions?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
A trend I have seen lately even on Fox news is to suggest that the Republican Party is dead and traditional America Values no longer applicable because the demographics have changed and young voters want stuff like gay marriage and abortion etc. Then I hear suggestions that the Republican Party change it's platform to reflect these changes.

What this boils down to is operatives within conservative media working on infiltrating the Republican Party to change it to become more Democrat.

This makes perfect sense when considering the agenda of the communist party was to infiltrate "one or both" major parties.

This has been happening slowly but surely when Republicans go more and more moderate. These types we call RINO when they tend to vote with the Democrats and espouse more socially liberal concepts or fiscal irresponsibility.

When is killing our unborn a really "progress"? You say it's for women's choice but when do the unborn get a choice in the matter? It is not progress at all but part of the diabolical plot to depopulate the world. Anyone reading John Holdren's book can see easily what the agenda really is. This goes back even to the Rockefellers. Remember them? The Rockefellers backed Margaret Sanger when Planned Parenthood was called the American Birth Control League.

These Progressives have merely tricked people into believing their lies and agendas.
edit on 11-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: fix typos

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

That argument about how the unborn fetus isn't alive is completely insane and utterly untrue. I knew that people who think this way would defend a dog before human lives but let's see what happens when you are invited to cut up a dog's unborn. Would you scream that it's animal abuse?

Would you or could you do it? If not then why would you advocate it for humans?

edit on 11-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I personally approve of the morning after pill, since I think that spiritual development of an unborn child happens around 5-6 months. This should honestly cover most abortion issues.

But we don't know when the spiritual development occurs, but we do know that the baby's heartbeat is within weeks of conception. Week 6 to be more specific.

By week six of pregnancy, your baby's heart is pumping blood. His heartbeat may be visible on a vaginal ultrasound as small blinking light, and will have a regular rhythm sometime between weeks six and seven. If a vaginal ultrasound during the sixth week does not reveal a fetal heartbeat, your doctor may schedule you for an ultrasound in three to seven days to check the baby's heart development.

Read more: www.livestrong.com...

We also know that early on the baby responds to stimuli such as prodding with a needle. The baby will actively move away from the source of prodding.

As for the spiritual development, the consciousness does have to integrate with the developing fetus. Does it really make a difference when it becomes fully integrated?

The soul is in the baby’s body during gestation and, although it may come and go, it is intimately connected to the developing body. The integration of the soul with the developing body is a complex process.

tsl.org...

So if you feel that LIbertarianism espouses doing things regardless of their intrinsic moral value or lack of it. We have unfortunately come to this point through the aggressive pushing of secular humanism.

edit on 11-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
We have different parties for different reasons. The Republicans are socially conservative and fiscally responsible. That is their philosophy. Re-writing the platform to "win" more often is somehow kind of traitorous to their own core values.

I am a Libertarian. I used to be a Republican but when they moved into the moral majority position, I found the Libertarian party. We all have that ability to move on as we age or our views change. Rather than being disappointed year after year or trying to change the party, I found something I could believe in and agree with.

I understand that the Republicans are disappointed that they lost the election. They are upset that a large number of people are moving away. This is just the way of the world. I am sure the Whigs weren't happy when their party slowly become less influential. It's true that the party has been hijacked by extremists and maybe it can be steered back to rational thinking. Maybe not. Maybe it is time for the Libertarians, the Greens and the Constitution Party. The Democrats will continue to hold a big audience until people become more educated and learn to find the party that actually represents the bulk of their beliefs and positions.

People's core values should be why they choose to support one party or another. Anything less, and you are just betraying yourself.
edit on 11/11/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

That argument about how the unborn fetus isn't alive is completely insane and utterly untrue.

I am not saying it is not alive, of course it is. I am saying that life (any life) is not worth much until brainwaves.

I knew that people who think this way would defend a dog before human lives but let's see what happens when you are invited to cut up a dog's unborn. Would you scream that it's animal abuse?

Not at all. Not for early-term dog foetuses.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

we do know that the baby's heartbeat is within weeks of conception. Week 6 to be more specific.

I dont see why a glorified pump is of any importance for the value of human life.

But we don't know when the spiritual development occurs

We are quite sure there is no spirit before 5th month. Or if there is, then it flies around the foetus, still waiting for the brain to develop, but such magical thinking has no place in a serious debate anyway..

We also know that early on the baby responds to stimuli such as prodding with a needle. The baby will actively move away from the source of prodding.

Spinal reflexes.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

That argument about how the unborn fetus isn't alive is completely insane and utterly untrue.

I am not saying it is not alive, of course it is. I am saying that life (any life) is not worth much until brainwaves.

I knew that people who think this way would defend a dog before human lives but let's see what happens when you are invited to cut up a dog's unborn. Would you scream that it's animal abuse?

Not at all. Not for early-term dog foetuses.

Well that is just your opinion and there are many millions of people who disagree with you. No saving the rainforest for you though

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

We are quite sure there is no spirit before 5th month.

Again just your opinion, and I suppose all the other secular humanists.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

We have different parties for different reasons. The Republicans are socially conservative and fiscally responsible. That is their philosophy. Re-writing the platform to "win" more often is somehow kind of traitorous to their own core values.

I am a Libertarian. I used to be a Republican but when they moved into the moral majority position, I found the Libertarian party. We all have that ability to move on as we age or our views change. Rather than being disappointed year after year or trying to change the party, I found something I could believe in and agree with.

Maybe it is time for the Libertarians, the Greens and the Constitution Party. The Democrats will continue to hold a big audience until people become more educated and learn to find the party that actually represents the bulk of their beliefs and positions.

Well the Republican party has actually been infiltrated by right-wing extremists, so its views have changed in the recent past to become more extreme, I'm not sure why they can't change again to become more reasonable.

If the extremists really want the party to sink then I hope that third parties do rise.
edit on 12-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join