It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: CIA Director Petraeus Resigning

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I dont get what having an affair has to do with the job.
One has nothing to do with the other so why resign?
edit on 9-11-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Blackmail?

Having an affair as any top government official is usually a no-no.

Let's step back, the Right Wing brutally forced Anthony Weiner out as a Representative for texting a picture of himself in his underwear to another adult.

But now, a lot of them are saying that an affair doesn't matter and isn't a valid reason for resigning?

Short term memories.

What Weiner did didnt matter either.

Peoples personal lives are just that, personal.

ETA: I guess if we're supposed to use it as some measure of integrity or something it could matter but who the hell believes any politician has integrity to begin with? They're just over paid used car salesmen with the authority to bomb people.
edit on 9-11-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Affairs ? LOL didn't stop Clinton did it?

Clinton put himself in a blackmailable position and therefore he was a security risk to the nation. The guy did a good job balancing the books ... but that doesn't excuse making himself blackmailable. At least the general has enough good sense to resign. Clinton should have.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
He has always been viewed as a solid man of character...I pray that by cutting his ties with this administration...he'll be free to tell the truth when under questioning...I hope his American Patriotism come through...

There is a history of head butting with Obama....

Des

edit on 9-11-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

This thread is utterly insane. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Someone in this thread compared this to deep impact! Really?
The man comes out and says, with his own words, that he is resigning due to having an affair, so the world must be ending.

Let's pretend this guy wants to fix the relationship with his wife, long hours as director of the CIA is probably not the best job choice at the moment.
edit on 9-11-2012 by lucidclouds because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2012 by lucidclouds because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This does stink, for so many reasons. I have a couple of other questions though.
Who gets to take his place?
Is this a distraction from something else?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
CIA Code of Conduct (fixed)

Paragraph 3 might cover it. I'm still reading...

These are pretty harsh standards even for former CIA employees..

3. Besides the continuing obligations contained in a former employee's contract agreement, the Agency expects, and indeed depends eon, continued adherence by former employees to the same high standards of conduct which governed them during their employment. This continuing duty is implicit in their seeking and accepting Agency employment. Certain postemployment activities are restricted by explicit provisions of law (18 U.S.C., Section 207). Beyond these requirements provided by law and contract, former CIA personnel also are expected to avoid any personal or professional activity which could harm or embarrass the Agency or the United States. In this regard, former Agency personnel may draw upon their prior training and experience in pursuing second careers or opportunities outside the Agency. An employee's former Agency status should not be traded upon to obtain preferential treatment for the employee or his or her private employer, or to otherwise create any appearance of sponsorship, endorsement, or approval by the Agency of such activities or transactions. This does a disservice not only to the individual involved but also to the Agency and its present employees.

edit on 9-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Anyone that high up in government can't be in a position where they are blackmailable. By having an affair, he was putting himself in a vulnerable position to enemy blackmail. His resignation was the correct thing to do for national security reasons.

That is what we are supposed to think. Don't make it so easy for them.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
The CIA is not the military. They don't play by those rules. If the Head of the CIA can't keep at least one mistress quiet then I seriously doubt his qualifications.

CTIP and its EO don't just stop at the military, it covers ANY government employee or contractor.

Although I do agree with you - it's more likely a reason thrown up to distract you from why Petraeus was po'd - the Libyan thing, and Obama doesn't want to rehash exactly WHY Petraeus is mad. Also, in a weird sense, it wasn't Petraeus' place to discuss that in a press conference, even if he hates Obama's guts and was hoping to help push him out of office.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I am sorry but I got to laugh at that considering what we are talking about the cia who goes around blackmailing,selling illegal substances,sells guns,starts coups, and other nasty stuff.

Somehow the CIA suddenly grows a conscience?

The sheer amount of hatred for that organization that I have read on here suddenly now Petraeus is evil for cheating on his wife which doesn't make him any different than a few hundred million men.

edit on 9-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

when they're published ... his 'memoirs' should prove rather interesting.

... unless sequestered or executive privileged

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Peoples personal lives are just that, personal.

No. When a person is in a position of national security importance, their 'personal lives' need to be dictated by common sense and an understanding of the importance of not putting themselves in a blackmailable position.

Back in the day, I worked for a number of years with in corporate security for a defense contractor. This was one of the first things we told people with security clearances when we gave them their briefings. Foreign agents look for weakness' in peoples lives .. alcoholism, affairs, closet homosexual affairs, illegal drug use, etc ... they blackmail people to get information and secrets, both corporate secrets and government secrets.

So no .. if someone wants to hold a position that has a security clearance, their 'personal lives' are not really personal and should be dictated with a clear understanding of what is at stake if they put themselves in a position to be blackmailed. People with clearance should have this ingrained in them .. especially someone at the level the general was at (head of CIA ).

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well, this is the U.S. If this was Europe no one would really care or you'd get the reply "He only has one mistress?!". We've got hangups with sex.

And for those of you saying it could lead to blackmail-you are right. It's only because American's are so damn silly about sex.
edit on 9-11-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Meh. What's blackmailable? Clearly his affair wasnt or he wouldnt have announced it to the whole world.

Blackmail doesnt work when your response to the threat is "go ahead."

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

It's not growing a conscience for the CIA to tell it's people to behave themselves. It's the CIA, who deals in state secrets and very sensitive things, making sure that their people can't be blackmailed. Common sense.

now Petraeus is evil for cheating on his wife which doesn't make him any different than a few hundred million men.

It's VERY different because Petraeus is the director of the CIA .. and has access to a boatload of sensitive and classified information in which he could be blackmailed for. It's not like this guy simply flips burgers for a living, ya' know ... Common sense people ...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Who do you think the other women was Janet Napolitano or Hillary?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I fail to see how cheating on your wife prevents you from doing your job, but ok..

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I strongly suspect that the "real reason" behind the "resignation" was Benghazi-Ghate........There have been several casualties already not the least of which is Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Rice will be going soon.

I also suspect that the real reason for Eric Holder's upcoming resignation has everything to do with the Fast and Furious scandal.

edit on 9-11-2012 by gmonundercover because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I am sorry but I got to laugh at that considering what we are talking about the cia who goes around blackmailing,selling illegal substances,sells guns,starts coups, and other nasty stuff.

The sheer amount of hatred for that organization that I have read on here suddenly now Petraeus is evil for cheating on his wife which doesn't make him any different than a few hundred million men.

edit on 9-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Thank you Neo!! That was the point I was trying to make with a sarcastic remark, but apparently I fell flat.

I was beginning to think that the CIA was all of a sudden 'as pure as the driven snow'. Funny how 99.9% of the time they have no morals, but when a resignation from Obama's administration happens, they are all stand up people!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Meh. What's blackmailable?

Really? You don't get that a guy who has been married 37 years and who has a prestine reputation would want to keep an affair quiet? Really? Okay ....

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gmonundercover

Hillary Clinton said in 2008 she was only serving for one term. I don't think her leaving says much.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join