It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: CIA Director Petraeus Resigning

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Having slept on this and read the replies I would like to give some more thoughts on the matter.

Petraeus was a 4 star General, that is a rank that not just given. It has to be approved by Congress, which takes immense respect. After graduation from West Point, he married the Superintendent's daughter. Again something that takes immense respect. He helped write the book on Army Counterinsurgency Tactics. The man holds a PhD. And despite attempts at political manipulation, he gave the unvarnished truth about the situation in Iraq which ruffled Harry Reid's feathers more than a few times. He is by no means an idiot nor derelict and has a record of being honest and forthright his entire career.

Did he have an affair? Maybe or maybe not. An affair (real or invented) allows him to step down and no longer be part of the Obama Administration. In stating that he had an affair (as opposed to being exposed to having one) means that he does not have to name names as to whom the other woman was. The world can speculate all they want, he neither has to confirm nor deny any name mentioned.

Further speculation is that by stepping down, he prevents becoming the scapegoat by Obama and crew saying that they gave the order for a rescue and he denied it. I think that was going to be Obama's self-preservation plan. In reality, I believe that Obama ordered a stand down from any rescue attempt and Petraeus obeyed that order, which makes him just as guilty because he could have disobeyed that order legally and morally....except, he was Director of the CIA, which is a civilian position. He was no longer that 4 star that could order military units . And maybe that was also part of the problem that day. Maybe he did order units to move and Obama had to counter that order.

My take, had Romney won the election, Petraeus would have stayed and testified. He may still yet testify but won't announce it until he shows up to give that testimony. Bottom line is the Congressional hearings have to determine who was in the situation room watching the live feed from the drones and who gave what orders. If both Obama and Biden were in that room and a stand done order or no rescue attempt order was given then both the President and VP will be impeached and John Boehner will become the 45th POTUS for the balance of the term. So do not expect impeachment proceeding to begin before the inauguration, unless a back room deal is made with the Senate over a VP selection for Boehner.

Why must this go to impeachment proceedings? Because Boehner will not ever be re-elected (or at least not have the easy route of unopposed re-election) to Congress again. That, I can personally guarantee with 100% certainty

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
MORE:

Rep. Peter King (R-NY) said on CNN's OutFront when asked about CIA Director General David Petraeus.
"Absolutely, to me, he's an absolutely necessary witness," King said when asked if Petraeus will testify.

AND
Kessler: FBI Investigation Led to Petraeus Resignation

Opening paragraph(s):

Ronald Kessler reporting from Washington, D.C. — The resignation of David H. Petraeus as CIA director followed an FBI investigation of many months, raising the question of why he was not forced out until after the election.

In his letter of resignation, Petraeus cited an extra-marital affair he had been having. “After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair,” Petraeus said in his letter to President Obama. “Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours.”

Petraeus, who had a distinguished military career, revealed no additional details. However, an FBI source says the investigation began when American intelligence mistook an email Petraeus had sent to his girlfriend as a reference to corruption. Petraeus was commander of U.S. Forces in Afghanistan from July 4, 2010 until July 18, 2011.

The investigation began last spring, but the FBI then pored over his emails when he was stationed in Afghanistan.

The woman who was having an affair with Petraeus is a journalist who had been writing about him.

Given his top secret clearance and the fact that Petraeus is married, the FBI continued to investigate and intercept Petraeus’ email exchanges with the woman. The emails include sexually explicit references to such items as sex under a desk.

Such a relationship is a breach of top secret security requirements and could have compromised Petraeus.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com www.newsmax.com...
Follow us: @newsmax_media on Twitter | newsmax on Facebook
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

AND
Petraeus' biographer Paula Broadwell under FBI investigation over access to his email, law enforcement officials say
By Richard Engel, NBC News

The biographer for resigning CIA Director David Petraeus is under FBI investigation for improperly trying to access his email and possibly gaining access to classified information, law enforcement officials told NBC News on Friday.

edit on 10-11-2012 by gmonundercover because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
No links yet, watching the news and it appears that CIA Director Petraeus has submitted and the President has accepted his resignation from the post..

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns

CIA Director David Petraeus submitted his resignation to President Obama today. According to the Associated Press, Petraeus cited an extramarital affair as the reason for his resignation.

David Petraeus resigns as CIA director

CIA Director David H. Petraeus has resigned, bringing a surprisingly abrupt end to his brief tenure at the agency as well as his decorated career in national security.

Petraeus sent a letter to President Obama on Friday indicating that he was stepping down, citing an extramarital affair.

Resignation letter: news.blogs.cnn.com...

POTUS response: www.whitehouse.gov...

edit on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:20:26 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: add source link and snippet

edit on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:43:51 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: add WashPost article.

edit on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:02:28 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: add links to resignation letter and POTUS response.

edit on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:12:08 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

Too bad when you have prostate cancer sex is probably one of the farthest things on your mind! If anyone has not figured out that this is because of CIA involvement with benghazi and that Petraeus was supposed to testify in front of congress! Which he will no longer be doing! I believe that Christopher Stevens was working for
CIA with them arming rebel opposition in the region to quell middle eastern leaders! Also this Opposition are members of al-queda who we were first hunting and then arming! Is it any wonder that Benghazi happened and
what will be the next incident of Americans being attacked with weapons America has supplied? When will Americans learn the futility of that which pretends to help but destroys by the means to bring an end? We are nieve to reality and God help us when that means brings the end to us all!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

He testified in October that the CIA did not order any stand down. This contradicts what Obama says.
That is the flap, obviously.

Flapping over interagency mis communication? Thats never happened before. See 911. Maybe this will go the way of Bushes private, sealed testify before the commission .

I still don't understand. Who cares? Whats done is done. it was obviously the work of some Libyans with RPG's and gas cans that burned the embassy. I can't imagine why they would do such a thing.

Warning graphic...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why the hell should he resign did that (__*__) Klinton resign ?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

Petraeus was supposed to testify in front of congress! Which he will no longer be doing!

The Dems excused him from testifying at the Senate hearing. The Republicans won't let that happen in the House Committee.

Watch for Petraeus to have an unfortunate fatal accident before he is due to testify before the House Committee. You know, like cutting his own throat while shaving, or committing suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head three times.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gmonundercover

I am waiting for the announcement from the White House that they knew nothing of the FBI investigation.

Of course they didn't.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Some interesting things about Paula,
www.thedailybeast.com...

To say Paula Broadwell is an overachiever is an understatement. She grew up in North Dakota, graduated from West Point and worked in military intelligence. She studied Arabic in the Middle East—Jordan in particular—and specialized in counterinsurgency, counterterrorism, and geopolitical analysis.

www.thedailybeast.com...

The more I find out about this whole debacle. The more I have thoughts of the show/series...Homeland....

Des

Yea, me too.

That Paula has quite the resume!! My god!! When I was her age the most learning I did, out side of regular school and the Navy, was read comic books and sci fi books and the back of cereal boxes. Its just all to crazy nuts for this cat!!

I think there is gonna be a long, long media thang on this Petreus stuff and books galour (like jfk books zillions of 'em) it will be crazy crazy man!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Do you really think that this will lead to impeachment?

It is too soon to ask if you think that there is any chance of conviction if there is an impeachment.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I have never watched it,
How does it remind you of the show?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It is a shame our society has yet to pregress far enough for something as natural and wonderful to humanity as having sex with someone is to be punished, ridiculed or remprimanded. Sex is as natural as smiling, invloves two consenting adults and results in a wonderful experience for both partners. Our backward religous beliefs, morals based on fear, jelousy, reprisal is the real problem. Not that two human beings shared some intimate time together. One day humanity will outgrow such rediculas and bacward rules. Look at his wife she is a cow, doesnt bother to attempt to look pretty. You can't be married to the 4 Star General and look like that.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Yes sex is a wonderful thing, except when you hurt your lovely wife of many years.

You can't be married to the 4 Star General and look like that.

Apparently you can, because she is.

He aint no prize except for his reputation.
edit on 103030p://bSaturday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Loved reading your post, very interesting, highly unlikely.

Obama is the Teflon president.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

That was funny !!

His wife probably didn't always look as she does now. You think?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Destinyone

I have never watched it,
How does it remind you of the show?

The CIA and who is really working for the U.S. and who isn't....

Homeland is a drama/thriller series developed for American television by Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa, and based on the Israeli series Hatufim (English title: Prisoners of War) created by Gideon Raff.[1][2] The series stars Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison, a Central Intelligence Agency officer, and Damian Lewis as Nicholas Brody, a U.S. Marine. Mathison has come to believe that Brody, who was held captive by al-Qaeda as a prisoner of war, was turned by the enemy and now threatens the United States.

The series is broadcast in the U.S. on the cable channel Showtime, and is produced by Fox 21. It premiered on October 2, 2011.[3] The first episode was made available online, more than two weeks before broadcast, with viewers having to complete some tasks to unlock access.[4][5] The series has received critical acclaim, as well as several industry awards, including winning the 2012 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series, the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama, and the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series and Lead Actress in a Drama Series for Damian Lewis and Claire Danes respectively. Showtime renewed the series for a second season of 12 episodes,[6] which premiered on September 30, 2012[7] both domestically and internationally (Canada and New Zealand). On October 22, 2012, Homeland was renewed for a third season of 12 episodes.en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I wonder why he would leave just because of that? Did he just want to get it out there before someone catches him and makes a big story about it? Or maybe there's another reason?

He already got caught

The Huffington Post

The FBI learned of the affair after officials monitored Petraeus' email, officials told the AP. They were investigating claims that Broadwell had access to his email.

I think Benghazi is the big story not the affair.

Petraeus's resignation came at a time when his office was under extraordinary pressure over its role in the attack in Benghazi, Libya, when four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador, were killed.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yes I do. It is believed that Obama, Hilary, Biden, Petraeus and Panetta (and others) were all in the situation room at the White House watching the live feed from the two drones (one of which was unarmed). In fact they have been very consistent about mentioning an unarmed drone, but have not often mentioned the second drone nor its status as armed or unarmed.

There are several response teams in adjacent areas that could have been there in time for a rescue. While it is undiplomatic to send armed troops across a border with intent to engage without permission of that country...diplomacy wasn't exactly the order of the day at the time by those engaging an Ambassador and his entourage. Let us not forget that all US Ambassadors are considered a direct representative of the President. They do the groundwork and talking points for treaties and other agreements in the President's place until it requires the President's signature (pending Congressional approval) for treaties, agreements, etc. SO an attack on an Ambassador is considered an attack on the President himself. Most countries recognize and agree with that view as part of international diplomacy. Just like a President is not required to bow to other nation's royalty, because the US is not a subject of that particular crown. Hence the outrage over Obama's bowing on the so called World Apology Tour.

Ultimately it is a matter of four members of the State Department urgently needing and requesting assistance that was not acted on for whatever reasons. An unannounced border crossing of troops requires the President's approval. So the question is did he let them die intentionally or was he unavailable for some reason? And if so, what was the reason? Becuase short of stopping a nuclear exchange, nothing should have taken precedence of a President's time....of course he could have been engaged in the gripping and riveting story of My Pet Goat and will blame it on Bush again for turning him on to that book. That would get him out of it, right?

edit on 10-11-2012 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
the terrorists have nothing to worry about...attack and kill an ambassador and 3 other americans with overwelming force....and the american president is the one that will get the blame. why do i see some bearded jihadist laughing about how they have american politicians on their side fighting against the president of the united states.
their new strategy?....attack american embassies constantly, and the americans will turn on each other like rabid dogs
edit on 10-11-2012 by jimmyx because: addition

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Benghazi is a non-issue.....
Only people blinded by their hate of Obama see it this way.....sort of like the BC issue, or Fast and furious, or anything else. You people are trying to find anything to make him look bad, and impeach him.
I'm sorry but anything Obama does is an act of the devil in your eyes.
I did NOT vote for Obama, so don't go there. I'm unbiased.

An embassy was attacked and ONLY 4 people died. If anything he did the right thing by not sending in more people, risking more deaths. You're using these people's deaths politically and it's rather sick.

Plus, the senate is controlled by democrats. The house might impeach him, but the senate needs a 2/3rd vote to actually remove him from office....it's NOT happening.
Get your head out of the clouds and come back to reality.

Petraeus resigned because the FBI was investigating him over an extra-marital affair.

edit on 10-11-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Do you really think that this will lead to impeachment?

It is too soon to ask if you think that there is any chance of conviction if there is an impeachment.

It might pass the Republican controlled House but Dems control the Senate.........not a chance for a 2/3 majority no matter if he committed major crimes......

edit on 10-11-2012 by gmonundercover because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join