Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A group I keep hearing about but for which I can find no info

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I had an interesting exchange recently involving a group I can't seem to pin down. I'm a fairly bright guy, no stranger to dissertations if you take my meaning, but this has me baffled. I don't want to give too much away about my area of training, but the exchange involved a very large amount of money going to a charitable cause. It didn't involve a charity, per se, but instead an issue that needing addressing. Basically there were some people in need for whom no one was defending, government or otherwise. I'd sort of written it off and felt badly for the people that were sort of being swept to the wayside. In the course of 24 hours an enormous sum of money comes in seemingly from nowhere and resolves not only their issue, but several extenuating issues as well. Color me impressed.

Here's the thing - when I inquired about who'd done this all I get was two words: Opus Tacitus. Great, who are they, I ask. My partners and/or colleagues didn't know. I ask why they don't know and all I get are shrugs. The story gets more bizarre, but I'm trying to figure out how to go into detail without revealing anything more about myself or background.

This event happened about four months ago. Then two month ago I was in Europe and a similar happening occurred. Guess which name was mentioned. Of course I would normally chalk it up to Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon or recency effect or whatever you want to call it, but this was too bizarre. So, I asked about the group. No one knows a thing. I do some research. Nothing. I get two of my assistants to do research. Nothing. And mind you, one of the two assistants is literally world-class when it comes to getting the job done as far as finding info. She came up snake eyes each time.

Why do I throw this out to ATS? Honestly, I don't hold this site in very high regard because I think most people here are fairly loopy in what they actually believe and buy into. I mainly only come here for amusement. That said, I figured if anyone might have even a partial lead on this group it wouldn't be imprudent to go ahead and ask here. I've called several colleagues around the world and only two have heard the name of the group, but they all say the same thing - they don't know anything about the group other than certain "charitable acts" usually of no small amount.

As one of my oldest and best friends who knew the name of the group commented, "it's the damnedest thing."

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AvisNigra

SnF simply because I'm interested and would like this thread to get some answers if possible.

oll.libertyfund.org...

The Morality ofTacitus,and his spirit virtuous and humane. AS obvious too as his other great qualities, is his love of Mankind, of Civil Liberty, and of private and publick Virtue. His Book is a great tablature of the ugliness and horrors of Tyranny; of the scandal and infamy of servitude and debasement; of the loveliness of virtue and a free spirit; of the odiousness of vice and sycophancy. Such was his sympathy for the sufferings and severe lot of the Romans under Tiberius, that he is glad of a digression from home, and keeps thence as long as he can, to relieve his soul from attending to domestick evils;...

seems relevant to the context in which you met Opus Tacitus...the description of the character Tacitus describes the type of person that might invest into helping others as in the OP.

Now I think the "group" you are referring to is using this as a metaphor for their purpose/existence...but as to individually who they are and what they are made up of is something I don't think one could know...like minded individuals aware of the principalities of Tacitus and hold them in high regard would of course be a good starting point though.

edit on 9-11-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)
edit on 9-11-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Something strange this way comes.

"The Tacitus Project" ?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
'Opus tacitus' can be transliterated to ' The work of the silent'. If it literally tacitus then it is those dodgy thieves and assassins. Those with out histories. Tacitus is irony. As tacitus was an ancient historian or an archivist if you will.

So it may be safe to say that who ever you posed the question towards was not indicating where you will find the responsibility of acts. But rather telling you to be silent and be on about your way. Latin who uses this language these days.

Get it?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Starred for the insult.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

I'd translated it as "the quiet work," but then my Latin has never been that strong.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I think your Latin is better than you claim.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AvisNigra
I'd translated it as "the quiet work," but then my Latin has never been that strong.

You Latin is good, I would translate it the same way.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

What groups received the money and why did they need it? It seems logical that they would know who gave them the money.

Did they ask for help?

Was the money in the form of a check, cash, bank draft,.gold coins, tangible assets, etc.

And why are you being so secretive about your background. Asking for answers with out divulging pertinent infomation is lame.

Are you a screen writer fishing for a treatment? It's a common ploy you know; to float out a scenario and glean
the responses for twists or characters. I do it all the time.
edit on 9-11-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

S/he doesn't want to seem elitest but failed with the insult.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

A number of the issues addressed were medical needs. Another issue was debts owed by an individual after the death of a spouse. There are two other issues that were handled by the group as well. All interactions I'm aware of were carried out via cash.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Perhaps you had a hand in the gift. Are you German from the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen family? You use their motto.

en.wikipedia.org...

If perchance you are.....I could sure use a new set of tires for my pick up and a set of strings for my bass.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Could be trolling.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

No, no hand.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

No, no hand.

copy that...

tell us more about the recipients. Who, what, when and where as any reporter/investigator needs to know.
Without that kind of information how can we proceed? Why the secrecy? Why didn't you lay this out in the beginning? Tell us why you REALLY want to know! This is ATS..........

and just so you know, I'm putting together an outline for a future script with this mystery you have presented. Webisode, TV pilot, feature...time will tell.

btw... are you Dan Brown and are we going to have a copyright/intellectual property mess on our hands? Color me inquisitive!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I should probably have qualified what I meant by "lead" in the original post. I'm not looking for anyone here to do research. As I said, I've already done that and had others do that who are eminently able. All I was really after is to see if anyone here in this particular sub-forum had heard of the group itself. If not, no need to go beyond that.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

were any strings attached?

like some of...
well, lets call them fellow scholars,
i immediately translated Opus Tacitus as The Quiet [or Secret] Work
however if it's mission is charity, it could be a bit of tongue and cheek.
or a one shot with a sense of humor, perhaps rich guilt trippers, who saw a chance to do something good
is the case[s] well known in the local community?
never mind your pedigree*, what about you?

and is it known you frequent this kind of site?

Originally posted by olaru12

reply to post by olaru12

interesting little mystery
No, no hand.

copy that...

L
L
nice and smooth...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

I should probably have qualified what I meant by "lead" in the original post. I'm not looking for anyone here to do research. As I said, I've already done that and had others do that who are eminently able. All I was really after is to see if anyone here in this particular sub-forum had heard of the group itself. If not, no need to go beyond that.

So your crew couldn't find out anything and you come to ATS and tease us with a mystery but "no need to go beyond that" wtf....

A group I keep hearing about but for which I can find no info

that's called trolling mister...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Maybe it's not an organization at all, but a private, anonymous rich person with a pseudonym.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

If it's a sole individual then I'd be even more impressed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join