It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird fossils i found in Kentucky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

they was found together in a bunch of shale.

the one long one i assume is a branch or a tree..but you can see stuff inside of it.
and the round ones are rusting but no magnet sticks to them..they look like little birds egg's the one is cracked open on end andand you can clearly see it was a nut or a shell on it but there metallic.. i wanna say lead like all of them are.

any idea on what they are?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
i will tree to get better pictures i suck at this..
But ive seen alot of sex rocks and these are not sex rocks..they was something at one time but i dont know exactly what.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
there sex rocks for sure

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The round ones look like concretions....

...the longer one may be a crinoid stem, but I can't tell for sure without looking at the end with better detail.

I'm in KY too, and I have more than 10,000 fossils from the area.
edit on 9-11-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
They look like eggs to me, but eggs from what?
I never heard of sex rocks before, do you mean fossilized testicles? Don't think those could get fossilized unless buried in ash or something.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

whats a concreations?
I found all those in exact same spot at the bottom of a cliff the cliff was made of shale.
I looked all around there was no other fossils of any kind just broken shale and sex rocks everywhere.

i will try to get the camera to zoom up on them better so u can see the guts of it

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
They look like eggs to me, but eggs from what?
I never heard of sex rocks before, do you mean fossilized testicles? Don't think those could get fossilized unless buried in ash or something.

Sex rocks = just another fakin rock

hope that helps on my sex rock term

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KentuckyMan

en.wikipedia.org...

A concretion is a hard, compact mass of sedimentary rock formed by the precipitation of mineral cement within the spaces between the sediment grains. Concretions are often ovoid or spherical in shape, although irregular shapes also occur. The word 'concretion' is derived from the Latin con meaning 'together' and crescere meaning 'to grow'. Concretions form within layers of sedimentary strata that have already been deposited. They usually form early in the burial history of the sediment, before the rest of the sediment is hardened into rock. This concretionary cement often makes the concretion harder and more resistant to weathering than the host stratum

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
The round ones look like concreations....

...the longer one may be a crinoid stem, but I can't tell for sure without looking at the end with better detail.

ive got a lot myself from crinoids to whole fish and some plants.
Ive just never came across a limb so clear and round egg's before lol...
and there rusting to beat all of that.
i can see bark on the limb or what appears to be too.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Ok i get ya now.
Just never saw one before...
But why do these rust?
and feel like lead?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I concur, isyeye. These are animal or human remains for sure...looks like calcified gall stones to me.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

The longer one could be a plant or tree...I don't get much of those around here. I generally find crinoids and gastropods, and other types of ancient marine life.

I find many concreations around here. The rust is usually from iron ore in the area that ends up on the surface.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I got a box full of these one fossils that float...Yes floating rocks
they look like coral or something but i put em in a bowl and they float.

i got one big one i chipped a piece of shale into and it had a whole leaf in it at the spot i got those in pictures at.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I've been collecting fossils around KY for years...I've been wanting to do a thread on some of them, but I want to get better pictures of them first. I've got some pretty good ones. I've got boxes, and boxes of crinoids, probably about 5,000. I quit counting them after a while. I have about a thousand gastropods, some of them about 5 inches in diameter, and countless other pieces of ancient coral, and misc. fossils....My living room is covered in rocks/fossils.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Lol you sound like me i horde em all..even the little indian beads lol

My wife gets on me cause i got box of these rocks sitting around and geodes ive cut open with my tile saw lol

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I have been fossil hunting, next door to you, in Ohio (mostly in the Oxford and Athens areas). The "twig" shaped one looks like a crinoid to me. Not so sure about the "berries" though!!

Seriously, I don't know what those are - maybe egg sacks? Take them in to your nearest University - I bet they would love to study them...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen

I concur, isyeye. These are animal or human remains for sure...looks like calcified gall stones to me.

Ooooh, good call! I never would have thought of that. OP - If these turn out to be gall stones, please let us know.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Just wanted to propose an idea for the round balls you found. You said they felt like lead, and you are in Kentucky, so is there a possibility they are old musket balls? Just from pics, I can't really make an observation, but they seem to match other pictures of old musket balls people found. Also, it would account for the not perfectly round shape since musket balls were made on the go usually and it all came down to how well the mold was made for them. Just a thought though, can't say for sure without seeing them in person.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

The photos are a bit blurry but I am going to have to agree.

I am not in Kentucky so I am not sure of your geology though. I would consider on sea life though.

Raist

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

My living room is well covered in fossils as well. Actually so is my garage and another room. I have a lot of prep work ahead of me

Raist

top topics

join