It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NO! I won't donate to your Sandy fund!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

Its amazing how this people think they know whts going on. Its winter and these people have no where to go. Its DISTURBING to know there are these kind of people. It makes me wanna headbutt a cinderblock.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Dude, I'm not upset about the money thing because I'm a bit confused at that too. It feels as though you imploed that you don't really care for whats going on here. Yeah, these are wealthy orginizatioms and yeah insurance should kick in but it didn't. Lord knows why, but if these people behind their desks wants to act like they don't care, the least you could do is throw in a buck or two. The economy can't be that rough. I'm helping my father pay two rents and a mortgage with utility bills on top of that but we still find it helpful to donate any left over change or a dollar. This is a little ridiculous even if you have seen your fair share of disasters. I know you've never been pelted by a snow storm right after. Some people couldn't even find a place to go. I can't stress that enough.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I want to be mad over this thread, but I can't. I live in NJ. I have two small children and we had no power for over a week. While my town did sustain some damage, it wasn't anything in comparison to the shore cities. FEMA is here, Red Cross is here, and some other charities I have never heard of before. I didn't take anything from Red Cross, because we were ready. BUT, there were many many people who needed it. My issue was that after the power came back on, Red Cross came to my block. My neighbors were outside taking food. I was not okay w that. There was no reason for them to take it aside from because they could.. The local grocery stores were open, some of them had no damage to their homes, yet there they were.. Taking food. And trying to encourage me to take it as well. "There is hot pudding for the kids! Here, take some!"... No, I will not.

Here's the thing. People need help. A lot of it. There are people suffering horrible losses, from homes to lost relatives. If you want to help, ship some boxes of blankets, clothes, and food to the shelters. They are all available online. Then you know that the items are getting to the people. Lets be honest here folks. It's no surprise that the money deducted from our checks is not making it to the agencies.. Or the agencies are using it for things they shouldn't be using it for.. But again, the people shouldn't suffer more because of this.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Another thing. I have been hearing a lot of people complaining about their insurance not covering flood caused by a hurricane because they didn't have hurricane insurance. It's an optional coverage, but really, who in nj thought they needed hurricane insurance? I know I didn't. Lesson learned. Adding it to my policy, and acquiring the national flood insurance. I still have a lot of reading to do. They don't make it easy to understand exactly what you are covered for.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

Yes, that is where the majority of my beef lies. Insurance companies will find loopholes. No hurricane rider, no coverage for rising water, only falling water, etc., etc. We buy the insurance, we ask if it covers everything, but then when something happens, we find out it wasn't really everything afterall.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well, I understand your disgust with the constant barrage of hands held out for donations. I buy office supplies at K-Mart. Every time I'm there, EVERY time, they ask me if I want to donate to one charity or another. I am sick to death of it.

If I want to donate to a charity I will pick it at a time of my choosing. I don't need to be confronted and guilt-tripped into it in a line full of strangers at the store.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If hurricane insurance isn't required along the coast or flood insurance isn't required in a flood zone, then the homeowner could suffer a total loss. I do not believe everyone else who chooses not to enjoy life along the coast should have to pay for those who choose to live in those locations. More people would be upset if everyone was blocked from building in an area that was within 10 feet of high tide. I do not like to see people suffer and I donate here and there. I do believe people should not be allowed to build in high risk areas because total destruction is not only likely, it is just a matter of time. It all depends on luck. A lot of people do stupid things and run out of luck. I'll give a dollar or two and so will many others but the decision that led to the bad situation happened a long time ago. So many in this country do not think long term. This lack of long term planning is reflected in elected officials and is putting all our futures in peril.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by Arashikage

reply to post by BABYBULL24

reply to post by DENBY

I'm not wishing any ill will or suffering on the people there without power, or homes, or with injured or dead loved ones. I'm not saying they deserved, it or anything like that. I'm just saying we already paid in advance for insurance and planners and equipment and mitigation projects disaster relief for this very event. If there is still a need for donations and money in the aftermath, and if there is not a warehouse full of water and blankets and medicine, and generators, and if the utility companies don't have spare parts, and plans for how to best temporarily supply power, then someone needs to be in jail, because we paid for it, so where is it at?

Yes, I'm currently in a warm house, but I put in the OP that I have been through a couple of major disasters, and I've driven in and volunteered help at a couple of other major disasters. If I were close enough to do any good, my home would be open, and my feet would be on the ground doing every thing I could.

My issue is with the MONEY! This is precisely why we have FEMA, and Insurance companies, and Emergency Planners, and such. We pay for it day by day by day, so where is the money? Do the insurance companies just take our premiums and not expect to ever pay back? Do the emergency planners just take our money and buy toys, and drill, and conduct meetings, and upgrade their headquarters, but never actually prep and hoard and plan for the disaster?

If a major, Cat 5+ hurricane crashes into Jacksonville, Florida tomorrow, there is no reason in the world the authorities, utility companies, and major corporations should blink an eye at it. They know it will inevitably happen, they employ experts to plan for it, a portion of every dollar they make and/or spend is dedicated towards it, so when it does happen, there is no reason they should look awestruck and beg the common folks for relief. It's ridiculous.

I agree with you 100%.
WHY did we suffer?
WHY was there little to no response.
WHY were TPTB not prepared.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Can i just go slightly off topic here and ask why you guys are complaining about a week without power?

We used to go up to a week and a half during heavy rain periods in the hills region of our city. This happened a few times a year.

This is a hurricane, and you guys are only a week without power? I don't mean for this to sound negative, but # - this is a non-issue.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It's not an issue. It's an annoyance at best. My only concern was keeping my kids warm. I told my husband that it was easier to adjust to a new lifestyle w out power than it was to try and maintain the old one. If it wasn't for my kids, it would have been nothing. We made out fine.. keep in mind, most people do not know what to do w out power.. how to keep warm, how to cook. It is devestating to them. I don't think they are wrong for being upset, I just hope they will prep better next time. I do feel terrible for people who are cold and suffering.. no matter what the cause.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

holy crap my boss made a spectical of me because i refused to donate to united way. and then said will dont be like THAT one whose cold hearted...........im glad to see im not the only one that gets harrassed to donate at work....im suppose to ask people to donate but i dont.....people are strapped as it is and many are on food stamps....its not worth it.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Well I am glad that you decided to let some steam off here rather than on the poor Publix cashier trying to make a buck....well hopefully you only let steam off here.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminated0ne
Let me ask you this OP...

You pay taxes that go to the police and fire department right? If you witnessed a major accident while driving somewhere, and there were woman and children trapped inside a vehicle that started on fire, and they needed immediate help, would you not try to help them because you already pay for people to do that?

Terrible connection. I have a feeling the OP would help the woman and children trapped inside. Maybe you would just drop some a couple twenty dollar bills on the bumper for medical bills and car repairs after the fact and take off.

I should not be so shallow as to follow one incredibly ignorant comment with another, but I couldn't help it.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by leelo

Well I am glad that you decided to let some steam off here rather than on the poor Publix cashier trying to make a buck....well hopefully you only let steam off here.

Haha! Ya, I only laughed at her a little, I didn't go off on her. She was about 19 or 20, and very motivated to get those donations, and I know she had the best of intentions, but that was part of my frustration. The brainwashing. She believed wholeheartedly that it was her duty and everyone else's to collect that cash. It was a little sad, and a lot frustrating, but I was nice to her.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Well, frankly, I hope you aren't offended by people saying the same things you are if the place that you live in is ever devastated by a natural disaster.

People died, people lost their homes and everything they had, lost people that they loved and all you are concerned about is your taxes and how if you pay them, you shouldn't feel at all morally obligated to help those in desperate need? Wow.

I pay taxes to Canada, yet I find the compassion in myself to donate to Sandy's relief fund, when I really do, absolutely, have zero obligation to do so. Why would I do such a thing you ask? I do it because I understand the rock and the hard place that my fellow humans are in, it doesn't matter to me that I live in a different country than the victims, I still feel compassion for their loss. It could have happened to me, my friends, my family, and I would really give up on the world if everyone shared a similar sentiment to yours.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by hombero

I've been through disasters before, I've even received FEMA money before. I've never once received a handout from any type of charity or fundraiser, even though I was probably eligible to do so. There would never be a need for me to do such a thing. I would always have friends or family, or my own preparations to take care of things. The power could go out at my house for a year for all I care. We'd be better off. Less comfortable, but better off. If the house was destroyed, and all my preparations destroyed with it, I have friends and family spaced all across the city, state, and country.

Besides, I'm not mad at the people doing whatever it takes to survive, I am mad at the authorities that collect our money, plan, and drill for this continually, and then being dumbstruck when it is time to jump into action.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This was sent to me. I don't know how accurate it is. Do your own research

The American Red Cross
President and CEO Marsha J. Evans'
salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

MARCH OF DIMES
It is called the March of Dimes because
only a dime for every 1 dollar is given to the needy.

The United Way
President Brian Gallagher
receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF
CEO Caryl M. Stern receives
$1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE.
Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.

GOODWILL
CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.

The Salvation Army
Commissioner, Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only
$13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Veterans of Foreign Wars

The Disabled American Veterans

The Military Order of Purple Hearts

The Vietnam Veterans Association

Make a Wish: For children's last wishes.
100% goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child..

St. Jude Research Hospital
100% goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and can
not afford to pay.

Ronald McDonald Houses
All monies go to running the houses for parents who have critical Children in the hospital.
100% goes to housing, and feeding the families.

Lions Club International
100% of donations go to help the blind, buy hearing aides, support medical missions around the world. their latest undertaking
is measles vaccinations (only $1.00 per shot).

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

FEMA is funded by taxpayers. You don't consider FEMA money charity?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

FEMA is funded by taxpayers. You don't consider FEMA money charity?

No, that is exactly my point! It isn't charity, because we were already forced to pay into it through tax dollars. FEMA are the people who are supposed to be paying money back out!

I think it should be either / or, but not both. IF we are going to handle this from the grassroots angle, and people are going to come together and donate and distribute, that is GREAT! But, let's stop paying the taxes. IF we are going to pay the taxes, let those tax-funded organizations pay out and handle things, and stop asking for the charity.

My problem is the perceived necessity to do both.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I will accept your answer.
Thank you for being more civil than I was.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join