It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome Street Art With A Message

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Over the years I've seen some very imaginative and amazing street art (with a difference) which try to convey a social message. I recently came across an article on a new artists work in Vienna, along the same lines as those I've seen and admired before, I thought I would share.

Works by Isaac Cordal -

Suddenly you realize that you’re staring at a tiny little man who is up to his waist in water. It’s a sad figure wearing a forlorn expression, but still you smile, because your morning has just become a little bit more interesting.

These tiny figures kind of pull at the heart strings.

Cement eclipses is a project related to both sculpture and photography in the urban space,” Cordal explains. “I’m interested in representing prototypes that represent human beings in modernity. I’ve created scenes that summarize recognizable behavior patterns. These installations are my way of interpreting the social system we’ve created around us."

Cordal also says these works are a way of highlighting climate change.

More can be read here - www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Works by Slinkachu -

Do you see it?

P.S. I walk past this statue every day, wish I had noticed this.

little-people.blogspot.co.uk...

Slinkachu says -

“The street-based side of my work plays with the notion of surprise and I aim to encourage city-dwellers to be more aware of their surroundings. The scenes I set up, more evident through the photography, and the titles I give these scenes aim to reflect the loneliness and melancholy of living in a big city, almost being lost and overwhelmed. But underneath this, there is always some humour. I want people to be able to emphasise with the tiny people in my works.”

There are lots more pictures out there on the wed, if your interested, and feel free to post them.

So next time your out in the city, look out for the little people.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Nice stuff! I opened the thread expecting to see vandalism touted as art. I was pleasantly surprised. I like those pieces a lot, particularly the orange half pipe

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Nice stuff! I opened the thread expecting to see vandalism touted as art. I was pleasantly surprised. I like those pieces a lot, particularly the orange half pipe

Me too I expected to see graffiti being called art and I was ready to let my fingers do the talking but that was very cool art.

My favorite is the shoe string sea monster.

Thanks 4 sharing.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Very enjoyable pictures.

Thanks for posting them.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Thanks, I like that one too and the shoelace monster.

There is another artist called Ben Wilson who was found to not guilty of breaking the law when he started painting discarded chewing gum.

nocturnelair.blogspot.co.uk...

Street art does have to walk a tight line when being seen as art or vandalism.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Those were really great! Thanks for posting this. This op is a breath of fresh air for me. I needed a change of perspective! And yes, I will certainly be watching out for "little people" from now on!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

That is so awesome! I don't see how that could be called vandalism, discarded gum isn't anything near the same as painting on someone's wall or public property. It's not like the gum couldn't just be scraped away, although I don't see why someone would want to!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
How awesome. Thank you so much for sharing.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

No problem guys... Sometimes it's nice to get away from the doom and gloom.

Originally posted by TKDRL
That is so awesome! I don't see how that could be called vandalism, discarded gum isn't anything near the same as painting on someone's wall or public property. It's not like the gum couldn't just be scraped away, although I don't see why someone would want to!

I know, there's no way this could be called vandalism yet the authorities tried to get him for it.

The following is supposed to be guerrilla art, and I'm sure this is breaking the law. That being said I can't help but laugh, but I wouldn't call them art.... More messages of how we act and behave -

Picture taken from the London Underground tubes -

wharferj.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Cool post, love the art.

I would love to come across one of these. The first set of pictures do seem kind of sad.

I like this picture I found from your link -

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

That is soooooo funny. Yeah probably considered illegal these days *sigh*.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

I would love to come across one of these too, apparently the artists leave them in place after taking pictures.

It all reminds me of those miniature model villages you can visit while on vacation.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Very Nice......

S&F

I love art like this. I also love graffiti. I know, its defacing, but if done right, I say let it stay..........

Art Crimes The Writing on the Wall

10 Outstandingly Clever Artists

Thanks for sharing.......

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Great links, thanks.

Love the Walter Martin and Paloma Munoz stuff.

I wouldn't mind Banksy painting on my wall, would probably increase the value of my house by thousands.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

No problem.

This is a great thread. I know many on ATS that love art.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Came across these the other day, thought I would share....

top topics

join