It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Is it time to admit aliens don't exist?" ("The Sun" newspaper)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Whaaaa...I don't exist....

Des

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Whaaaa...I don't exist....

Des

Obviously you don't exist. I'm sitting right here, and I cannot see you....

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Is it time to admit aliens don't exist?
No, because that would be lying.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
FFS what a stupid article.

What next? "Is it time to admit God doesn't exist"

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Perhaps, or:

Perhaps they realise exactly what technological state we are at and are sufficiently smart to not get caught by jabbering monkeys with crude imaging devices.

If he wasn't media whoring with a tabloid rag perhaps Dr Clarke would have said:

"It remains that there is no proof for the current existence of aliens, although given the age and size of the universe it seems probable some have existed at some point in time. "

That would be defensible.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I see alot of this type of chatter...

if you ask me i speculate its planned propaganda to ... "pull the rubber band one way"... then dec 21st 2012 BAM it snaps back the other way just as far with the emergence of real or fake visitors...

the 'dumbfoundedness' .. the 'jaw droppingness' of the experience would / will be amplified with more people leaning against the reality of the phenomena... an amplified psycho-social experience...

at least.. i'd be disappointed in the authorities to have NOT attempted this disinfo sway before the big event..

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
There are a number of issues here.

Firstly "Is it time to admit aliens don't exist?"

Well not really. It is almost implausible that they don't exist given the findings of exo-planets in habitable zones and discoveries we have made in the last decade. A microbe on Mars or one of the outer moons of the gas giants would still be alien if we ever find one. It sometimes feels like NASA goes out of it's way to avoid finding life. But that's a whole different debate.

The question(s) should be:

"Have aliens ever visited or attempted to contact Earth?
"Why do they not appear to be doing so now?"

I am with Clarke in his point that there are no new stories and all the classic cases come from a more technologically innocent age. I also suspect that many of the alien/UFO contact stories in the past were hoaxes, exaggerated tales by the witnesses (maybe even totally fabricated) or simply mistaken natural or man made phenomenon. Or it could be something psychological ,rather than physical, and personal only to the witnesses in other cases.

Then there is the "secrecy" angle. If aliens have been here then why do they not make their presence known? Why have we never found an artifact or alien spaceship on the planet? Some say there is a massive global cover-up to suppress the truth but could this really have gone on for generations?

If we think about our own first steps into space we sent probes and eventually manned expeditions to the Moon and then about a decade later abandoned it. Could this explain why the UFO/Alien contact stories have died? Are "they" no longer interested in us? Or perhaps we've found a way to stop them getting into our atmosphere?
Could the Earth even be some kind of galactic outpost where we are being manipulated and controlled, like some sort of galactic North Korea? They know they are here but we don't know any more than we are told.

Clarke is right to be sceptical. But his question is too simplistic and betrays his beliefs.

If we are the only planet with sentient life, or indeed any life at all, in an otherwise infinitely sterile universe then that is quite a chilling thought too.

The important things to remember is that if we find just one piece of evidence then the whole game is changed as we will know that we are no longer truly alone in the universe. That discovery could happen at any time and that is why I think Clarke is wrong.

edit on 9/11/12 by mirageman because: typo

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageman

It is time we stopped reacting to this crass article and the like .. by an alleged UFO expert.

Who had probably made money and self publicity by writing a cynical piece that has apparently

'not captured' the imagination of mainsteam media in any rehashed capacity whatsoever.

What was he expecting the reaction to be? David Clarke on TV? Severe own goal here.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
He must be a fairly illiterate and closed minded scientist.

British Defense Intelligence releasing their files and Disclosure Project should be more than enough evidence to support the fact that there has been contact with intelligently controlled objects (that may or may not be of this earth, but nothing like we typically see flying around).
edit on 9-11-2012 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Just another close-minded, deny-everything-by-default lemming. NEXT...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Nah, there are aliens but we are the dumbasses. There is lots of evidence and we will be interacting with them openly. Try to focus; Earth is a penal colony where the inmates took over the planet. Newly sentient souls, you know, those that were animals a few lives ago, are here for the adversity this creep world has to offer. Earth is about as disharmonious as Level 0 civilizations come. As of Dec 21,2012 at 11:11 AM UT, Earth becomes a Level 1 civilization. This is the official date pegged for crossing the galactic plane and it is also the marker for the end of one complete revolution of our Sun around the centre of our galaxy; which takes 226 million years to complete. We are moving out of the Iron Age, into the Golden Age. Very big change for Earth. Aliens will be our coaches but not our rulers. Earth has been cut off from galactic interaction but that is changing.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
As usual - the tabloid media - telling the public what to think and treating them like they are unable to think on their own. I wonder what the millions of Contactees and Experiencers all over the earth think about Intergalactic Visitors and Intergalactic Craft???

Why do people who have not had an experience have to impress upon everyone else that it cannot be true? Just because I am not a lottery winner doesn't mean I have to start telling people that the lottery winners are imaginary and don't really exist!!

Newspapers are very handy - after I skim read the articles just to stop myself from being ignorant to what is making it into the news - I relax as I work on the crosswords and puzzles and then to avoid waste - I utilise the newspaper underneath the indoor cat toilet. The cats really enjoy being able to flick the kitty litter around and then scratch at the paper - quite fitting I think!

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by b3l13v3
Clarke : He must be a fairly illiterate and closed minded scientist.

David Clarke teaches jounalism.

This anti ufology pitch has fell flat on its face within media circles.

Why attempt to destroy UFO studies if you claim to be a UFO expert?

edit on 9-11-2012 by deprogrammer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Perhaps, or:

Perhaps they realise exactly what technological state we are at and are sufficiently smart to not get caught by jabbering monkeys with crude imaging devices.

If he wasn't media whoring with a tabloid rag perhaps Dr Clarke would have said:

"It remains that there is no proof for the current existence of aliens, although given the age and size of the universe it seems probable some have existed at some point in time. "

That would be defensible.

I totally agree here. I think the odds that no other life exists in the universe would be infinitesimally small.
The universe is just to be big for this this to be the case.

However if life does exists out there, and it has achieved the capability of inter-stellar travel, or
inter-galaxial travel (WOW), then it is wishful thinking on our part that we would ever perceive
them if they decided to visit our planet. We would only perceive them if they wanted us to
know they were there.

The differences in our technology and advancement could be as little as it is with ape-to-human
or as vastly different as ant to human. I would expect it would be somewhere in between.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I am UFO skeptic myself, but to say that aliens do not exist shows that this guy is a complete idiot.
Scientific community is pretty much in agreement that the chances for us being alone is nearly zero.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Maybe it's also time to ask if God, as portrayed in the Bible, exists. There's no new evidence. I see a lot of chatter but no meat.

Some would ask, why bring God into this?

Well I for one see where you are going with this statement.

You are not knocking God, nor are you making any kind of claim. You are using an example. And a damn good one IMO.

As for someone like me. Its common knowledge there is so much life out there in the universe. WE are not alone!
Also, for someone like me, its common knowledge that there is some form of GOD. We just all have our own thoughts and feelings about what or who God is.

And IMO this could lead us to more questions, than answers

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

If they want people to forget about UFOs they need to stop putting ET and Close Encounters on our tv every other week.

I had my own sighting in September, I can't say what it was but I didn't report it and I don't have a camera.
It was a close up sighting, I might talk about it one day. I don't know who this guy is but do we care what he thinks?

It feels like a conspiracy with all the newspapers and even ATS members trying to tell us ET/UFOs don't exist.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Mind can't be closed after it has been opened.

Sorry, I have seen crazy UFOs. People who I love and respect have seen them as well, plus more.

If you want to knock it all away as psychosis, lies, and poor eyesight -- be my guest, it's not necessary for you to "believe".

What I want you all to consider is the government's usage of hidden, advanced technology.
I am willing to say that what I saw may not be E.T (Though it was by deftinition, alien to my reality) --- are you willing to admit that advanced technology / anti gravity, etc. is being tested and utilized?

A ghost nor E.T has walked up and shaken my hand (That I know of) --- But I have spoken to many people who strongly feel like they have. I believe them. But I do not "know", because I wasn't there.

People need to realize that we have an extremely limited perspective of Reality. We might as well be walking around in the dark. Maybe that's giving us too much credit. The human mind defines things before it discovers them, we must reverse this illness before we can open our minds to what others deem impossible.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. The Sun are usually quite pro UFOs!

Going to ramble.. "Dumbed down & cut out"

Seeing a real UFO: Lots of sightings are about 5 seconds in length. I'm pretty sure it takes the average person longer to get their phone out. It takes a HD cam 5 seconds to display its logo and go bing bong especially for those who don't set their settings manually. When we have augmented reality and all permanently affix Google goggles to our heads and get assaulted by MacDonalds staff perhaps there'll be a way to capture what we're seeing within the first second, or better yet, quarter-second.

Buying the ability to see a UFO: Night vision equipment is still not cheap. Buying such gear is still frivolous spending in the current economic climate. Cheap alternatives are hard to find, mostly cos of the 'wash' of information (the spam) that makes up the UFO web searches day by day.

Accepting where to find the information: Are people still looking/waiting for the big scoop? That seems unproductive. The Sun readers probably want a big scoop, but the real pleasing facts can be found in tidbits of information across great swathes of reports, investigations, etc. Sometimes a single sentence answers many of the questions you might be seeking. You don't need to see UFO's to get an idea of the message/possibilities.

Understanding strangeness: You can't just explain the underlying meanings of some of these related topics in an article in a newspaper, you can't expect everyone or anyone to understand something from a single article. UFOlogy requires you to dig a little deeper but newspaper articles of course use the subject as a means to an end, and so people start believing that's the reality behind the UFO subject - that one day it's all going to be summarized in a nice "Sun Spot" article.

Furthermore - strangeness itself can't always be described. It takes gigantic hadron colliders, years of engineering and scientific analysis to understand some of the "stranger" natural phenomena of the universal laws, UFO stuff, when you take a close look, bends more along the lines of strange unnatural phenomena that contradicts many of our current understood universal laws (though some seem to be under careful calucation in recent times) - so again there's no certainty that one person alone can solve the mystery, we may need an Earth sized hadron collider to scientifically study UFOs

A lot of the UFOlogy websites are out-dated, crap looking or broken. The general online representation of UFOlogy is a bit of a mess. The subject is massively monetized and seems ridiculous I'm sure to someone who's never really had any interest in the subject previously. Nick Pope emigrated to the USA and there's no spokesperson or department to stoke peoples interests. There are probably a thousand people who've had a legitimate "5%" sighting since the closure of the MOD dept, perhaps The Sun should run a double spread of eye-witness accounts between then and now and people will see even if the "UFO footage" is lacking a little lately the incidents themselves are probably not.

Papers, websites and craving 'a decent photo' may quench the thirst of the "voyeurs" of the UFOlogy subject. Real interest may not begin until you have some significant sighting. Can't gaurantee one of those for anyone (yet - until we figure out how to act & react with 'the strange events'.) But when you're truly involved in "it", you know it, and that big scoop, the videos, they end up becoming meaningless, you don't need them anymore - they're just affirming something you knew for however many years.

Real understanding may not begin until you have an understanding of recurring themes in the subject and have "something to work with" or continue trying to answer for yourself. Not forgetting that some people will of course ignore their sighting totally and choose not to speak of it and may even erase it from their memory. I get the feeling more people are willing to talk about it day in day out, but I know some people will actively choose to disregard any such possibility of "aliens/high strangeness" etc.

And I certainly can't give anyone odds on the likelihood of seeing something, so a deep understanding/sympathy for the subject simply may never occur for some people.

Positively, there are still interesting new tid bits on a regular basis, whether it's in a recent sighting report or a newly recorded interview with someone who chose not to talk about an old sighting (or perhaps couldn't). A lot of American stations still cover UFO sightings and it seems after our drive here for them to start respecting the subject they actually do more often than not now. I've been into UFO's big time for...5 years now, and I am STILL discovering documentaries that intrigue me and open up new questions. If you don't like a mystery, why "try" and involve yourself in one?

Anyway, like I say, the Sun is usually pro UFO's, so I just wanted to write that up so their editors can understand there is still a positive side to it.

edit on 9-11-2012 by markymint because: Formatting

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
While no evidence of alien visitations to earth exist (Nothing verifiable and nothing credible) ...it is silly to completely discount the possibility. Science is about discovery and the search for truth...and sometimes that means the willingness to test theories or claims, regardless of how outrageous or out there they are.

And keep in mind this is about alien visitations to earth, not life on other planets. Given the unfathomable size of the universe, it is very likely life is abundant outside our solar system.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join