It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Is it time to admit aliens don't exist?" ("The Sun" newspaper)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The Sun newspaper has published an interesting, and rather provocative, article by UFO skeptic Dr David Clarke.

www.thesun.co.uk...

Is it time to admit aliens don't exist?

PEOPLE still talk about aliens today but where is the evidence for them? I’d say there’s lots of chatter but no meat.

No one is seeing anything new.

It knocks it on the head when you think that everyone is carrying around mobile cameras these days.
And now the internet knocks myths on the head straight away. Rather than taking months and years to get to the bottom of a strange sighting, you can do it in a matter of days — and the mystery gets killed off.

If you ask the people who believe in UFOs for their best evidence, they’ll probably cite an example from the pre-1980s. But they happened so long ago, no one can get to the bottom of those cases.

For those that don't know about him, Dave Clarke is a prominent UFO skeptic in Britain, with a long history of involvement in UFO research. He acts as a consultant to the National Archives in relation to the release of official UFO documents and has written several thought-provoking UFO books. He is one of the few academics in England to be openly involved in UFO research.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Usual tactic, nothing new...

Throw in the bin everything pre-photoshop and go on living in a fantasy.

Never before has the question been so relevant.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

First of all, in a galaxy with inhabitable planets numbering perhaps well into the hundreds of millions, and with billions of galaxies, it is inconceivable to me that other life, other intelligent life, would not exist.

The real question is this, is there any truth to the UFO/Alien visitation phenomenon? There absolutely is.

The clear thinker would seem to understand that from Orbs, to flying disk,to USOs, to cigar shaped craft, our skies are being patrolled by some intelligence that we don't understand. Be it inter dimensionally or via extraterrestrials, or a combination, clearly we have advanced intelligence all around us.

No, it is not time to admit they don't exist. It is time for our mass global population to realize they DO EXIST,so that we can reach our next stage of knowledge and evolution as a species. We can lean what they are, and our place is the cosmos. Before we go extinct.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Maybe it's also time to ask if God, as portrayed in the Bible, exists. There's no new evidence. I see a lot of chatter but no meat.

Seems to me there is more video evidence for the existence of aliens than God.

Mind you I speak of God as described by Christians.

Just sayin'
edit on 9-11-2012 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
So i bet he doesn't say the same thing about god or any other sky fairy, but it's ok to have a go at those of us that think a little deeper, like poster above billions of stars in billions of galaxies and we are the only intelligent life, sorry, i dont think so

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is interesting, I was thinking about this topic in my head the other day.

Do i believe aliens/ET exists - YES
Do i believe they are among us on this very planet? - NO

They believe the advent of camera phones and the internet means if there really was alien activity it would have been recorded and proved by now.

I do agree on the quote above by the scientists
edit on 9-11-2012 by FeelingPure because: missing words

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I used to believe ufo are alien craft. Now after researching this topic for about 20 years, I think that UFO don´t have to be alien related and most probably are human made. I would rather believe in a type of breakaway civilisation. That being said, I do believe in alien life.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Why bring God into it?

Anti-Religious-freaks are getting more obsessed than bible bashers!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
has every video of possible alien spacecraft been debunked with 100% certainty. I dont think so, so why should I listen to a newspaper that has apologised for hundreds of stories being untrue.
edit on 9-11-2012 by lewman because: stated aliens instead of possible alien spacecraft

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure

They believe the advent of camera phones and the internet means if there really was alien activity it would have been recorded and proved by now.

Except the reality of ATS tells us that people have a tendancy to whine with 100% of the pics coming from phones. Yep, the quality often isn't there.

And i don't understand this mindset from the scientists. Them, who are always looking for the latest, shiniest, expensive piece of equipment. Why settle for less, a crappy phone in this case ?

These scientists face the same problem we have elsewhere.
Things go like :
- only one source, how come there isn't more witnesses ; must be the work of a lone dude in his basement pulling a trick.
- several sources... must be some college kids pulling a prank again...

CGI, chinese lanterns, whatever...

Point is that it is very hard at this time to prove anything eitherway.

Scientists won't get their cosy confortable reproductible in a lab experiment.

So they resort to opinion manipulation, publishing this piece in "The Sun".

Show me one serious scientists that will use an opinion poll as proof of his theory.
edit on 9-11-2012 by Chrysalis because: keyboard dyslexia

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I still refuse to believe that regular soldiers and highly educated Army Officers mistook a weather balloon for a "flying disk" period.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Why don't we just wait and see?

Without something in front of us that we can 'poke with a stick' it remains merely speculation in circle after circle of debate.

I believe any researcher or skeptic to make a final conclusion on such a topic this early in the ball game is purely arrogant.
I personally don't believe they walk among us, but I support Sagan's formula of the odds of intelligent life elsewhere in our universe.

edit on 9-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure

Problem with that statement though is that a camera's angle of view is very limited, think about what you see with your eyes and the bits you miss. Now extrapolate that to looking at the sky, think about the size of a 747 or an A380 flying at 35,000 feet and then try and take a photo and tell me what you see, can guarantee pretty much nothing, except maybe a little tiny dot.

Just because most people have a phone on a camera does not mean we should have seen photo proof by now.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I definetly think saying aliens don't exist is ... trying to find a nice word to use here, but I can't think of one. So I'll bite my tounge and move on...

Given that the life which formed here on Earth came from space, the logical conclusion is that life exists in space.

It's like mold....

If I remove a piece of bread from the bag and leave it on the counter, mold will grow. At the same time, on the other side of the kitchen in the bread bag, mold will also grow. The mold grows simply because it has a place to grow. This is the essence of life....

So step one in the quest for life, in my opinion, is already done with. We know that less complicated lifeforms already exist in space, so there's no question that life is everywhere. We don't know for sure if any of that life has evolved into intellegent beings. Unless we look at the examples here on Earth... Earth is in space. Intellegent (or at least, mostly intellegent) life is on Earth. Logic says, intellegent life exists in space...

I think the reason people have such a hard time with the idea that intellegent life is out there comes from our self-centered way of life. We are taught from birth that we are special and unique and so exceptionally different from one another. But really we are not different. I have traits that make me different from you, but we are more the same than we are different. This lie makes us think that we are somehow seperate from the universe, as though people think that there is Earth, and then there is the universe. It is not commonly accepted that Earth is as much the universe as everything else.

From our self-centered POV, we come up with ideas like; "God created us and only us, because we're special." Such an attitude keeps us from seeing what is right in front of us! Once that idea is firmly implated in our psyche, we begin to fear the possibility of other life being out there. Why? Because it means we're not special. It mean's we're not different. I think most influencially, it means we're not Gods favorite....

I'm not the best at prose, so I thank you for your patience with my terrible use of the English language...

Robb

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Jchristopher5

it is inconceivable to me that other life, other intelligent life, would not exist.

is there any truth to the UFO/Alien visitation phenomenon? There absolutely is.

It is time for our mass global population to realize they DO EXIST

Do you realize that you acting on conviction of something that is not factual known (known means publicly verifiable). I'm with you in most aspects just not the level of certainty on your affirmations...

Based on our understanding of reality there is a very good chance that aliens exist. This is undeniable even if we should also accept at the same time that we do not know all and so a minute chance that there aren't is also possible. Since there their existence is not known, those taking a minority position on the discussion shouldn't be excluded as to obtain a consensus on something that is simply based on personal beliefs, experiences and calculations.

The same is valid to the rest of the discussion, one thing that irks me is to immediately link UFOs with aliens, in this situation the problem is even greater since that position is a minority position on the discussion of the phenomena. In this case the chances that aliens are behind UFOs is even lower than those of the nonexistence of aliens.

Only a few percentages of the UFO cases reported are truly unexplained. Explainable is a peculiar thing, it simply signifies that there are more grounds to explain the observations without requiring new knowledge, at the same time it does not guarantee that in part an abnormal phenomena is not the cause, it is just reduces the chance of it.

Having addressed the issue of UFOs and Aliens when we combine the two sets the chances of the reported alien visitations goes down even further. I'm including alien abductions in the same bag (even if some are distinct, some even do not fully fit the UFO observation.

It would by default be classified as unexplained in most cases (even if the media portrays those involved as lunatics or fringe elements). I have yet to see a report being dismissed due to mental instability, the worst cases is the lack of confidence in the witnesses the events...

Since we have no factual prof and as I have shown to you it is simply based on personal beliefs, experiences and calculations. What you are ultimately demanding is that people do a leap of faith to your level of certainty, I do not see that happening anytime soon. In fact I believe that pushing for it does more harm than good to the resolution of the issues on the field of Ufology.

We should be pressing for simply awareness of the issue of UFO (without linkage to other phenomena) and clear answers and actions from science and government. The level of unresponsiveness, even active dismissal from both of those sections of society to me is what we should be exposing as unacceptable. Some even fall in criminal dereliction of duty.

Add to that the reports (even if we could accept a vast majority as false or erroneous), people have died, suffered and are at real risk without no public institution getting concerned. This extremely laud silence to me is even more unexplainable than the existence of the UFO phenomena itself, making it clear that there is a direct correlation, that goes beyond incompetence.

edit on 9-11-2012 by Panic2k11 because: grammar

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
So Dr David Clarke is saying, everyone that claims to have had some sort of close encounter, whether its ufo or alien, are lying because aliens don't exist.

If I had witnessed something that I knew was definitely not of this world I would feel very insulted.

Anyway just because there is no absolute proof yet does not mean they do not exist.
What if entities from other worlds or dimensions have the technology or ability to remain invisible and undetectable?

I don't understand how anyone can say aliens don't exist. It may be impossible to prove they exist, but it is also impossible to prove that they don't exist either.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Maybe they were here but no longer are .
Maybe they came , saw , got the data they wanted and then moved on to the next project Planet .
We Humans are such an arrogant species that we believe that if ET did discover us they'd hang around and fall in love with us for all our little quirks and foibles ....maybe they didn't

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Great thread! S&F! This is an interesting take on the whole subject matter. Instead of pushing for disclosure, should we consider the alternative, which is what most government agencies have been telling us the whole time.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
Why bring God into it?

Anti-Religious-freaks are getting more obsessed than bible bashers!

I think its a fair analogy. Belief without proof. Seems fair enough to me. And I don't agree that anti-religious folk are more obsessed than bible pushers (I think that's what you meant to say
) No one has ever showed up on my door step pushing the anti-religion belief.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This just in: "It is time to admit that for The Sun newspaper journalism doesn't exist"

Reuters: Yellow J. Senior Editor at The Sun today told fellow workers that journalism does not exist. "We, and The News of the World (now deceased) have proven that journalism does not exist after years of publication. Anyone who actually thought they were reading anything of consequence in my opinion are just a few cards short of a deck. We have worked hard for years trying to come up with one worthy article and the fact that millions still subscribe to us shows that we and humanity are hopeless." Later on that day a reception was held that was attended by Rupert Murdoch who was heard muttering something about a sucker being born every day or other. "Anyway, we all read The Gaurdian anyway, " Yellow J. stated to an intern, "this whole Sun thing began as an inside joke by its founders on a lost bet. The loser had to either keep it going or would have been forced to read Piers Plowman and the Homilies three times straight. I think he chose wisely."
edit on 9-11-2012 by seen2much because: My e key needs to be pounded before it comes up on the screen

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join