It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only 5 % of the World's oceans are explored...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'd like to share a video, I've just seen.

It's about our planet, and more importantly, the places we hardly know anything about. The Oceans.
We've only explored 5 % of the oceans.... Just 5% of an estimate 70 % of the entire World. Think about that for a while.

Explored as in, we've only taken a look, one maybe two times...

Every time an expedition dives down, new species and situations are discovered, every time.
Puddles of water, lakes, waterfalls, eco systems filled with life even more abundant then the tropical rain forests, rivers, canyons larger then the grand canyon.
There is a mountain range, 50.000 km long. Fire under water, waves in the oceanic floor because the rock is molten.

I really think that this video amazes any single one of you that watches it, as much as I was.

Enjoy !

I'm still in awe. :O

Only 5 %... Think about what there still is to discover.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Thank you sinter , very interesting .Thats a ridiculous percentage .. !

Gonna watch the video now

S&F

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Interesting .. didnt know it was only 5%
but much has been scanned by radar not by men
if we included the sonar scan .. can we put that number to 10% ??

now imagine the space above us
we probably just explored 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% lol
and many many many more 0 before the 1

SNF
make us think of what is out there in space and in the ocean

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

While I understand the curiosity for what is out in space I have never understood why we haven't fully explored our own planet before traipsing off into the universe. We should know what is in our own back yard. We have an abundance of amazing discoveries just waiting for us to find them right here on our own planet.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

While I understand the curiosity for what is out in space I have never understood why we haven't fully explored our own planet before traipsing off into the universe. We should know what is in our own back yard. We have an abundance of amazing discoveries just waiting for us to find them right here on our own planet.

Just imagine if the world could live in peace, the amount of resources that could be used for exploration and research of both our planet and space. The amount of discoveries and scientific breakthroughs would be mind blowing. Maybe some day.....

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Anyone remember "Sea Quest"

I loved that show.

I too agree that more should be done to understand and explore the ocean. I want to see a colossal squid at my local aquarium sometime soon!

S+F

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I love the guy's enthusiasm. It makes me want to explore the Ocean. Boo for sea sickness
5% is a ridiculously small amount. I think though, we should probably leave it that way. We will only learn how to exploit it.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Wow what great video thanks for sharing!
Off to see more!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Very interesting. I always wondered what we can find from lost civilisations under the seawaves.

~ Pieter Baas

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
We don't belong in the sea so I think it should be left to those that do.

Spend the money on getting a moon base or something on mars.

Cool video though OP, thanks.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Anyone remember "Sea Quest"

I loved that show.

I too agree that more should be done to understand and explore the ocean. I want to see a colossal squid at my local aquarium sometime soon!

S+F

SEAQUEST !!!
loved that show with the guy who play in jaws lol
i dont think they made many season .. sadly

all the best shows get always canceled to soon

Stargate Universe was also awesome
firefly to and so many others like that

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Haha certainly seems that way eh?

Sea Quest was pretty cool and I think it coud be a valid possibility for the development of future Oceanic infrastructure and industry.

Plus bad ass subs

Firefly was awesome to

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead
We don't belong in the sea so I think it should be left to those that do.

Spend the money on getting a moon base or something on mars.

Cool video though OP, thanks.

We don't belong in the seas, but we belong on the moon or mars?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

It's a very high number for sure!!! The observable universe is huge huge. Even the earth's surface area is really big. Yet there're 9 other planets and 139 moons and many other asteroids.

But there're planets and moons and asteroids for every star. And billions of rogue planets in our galaxy and so probably billions of billions of rogue planets in the observable universe at least.

5% is actually fairly high. That includes the exploration we've done over hundreds of years or more. But there're 7 billion people now and we have unprecedented technology to explore.

That 5% will increase at rates never seen before.
edit on 9-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

It's basically less hostile for human life and easier to explore space, the it is to explore the deep sea.
The pressure is more difficult to overcome, then a vacuum is.

It's also no option to point a telescope in the seas then it is towards space.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Umm we have nuclear submarines and have explored some trenches. We may not have scoured every square inch of the ocean but we're much further along with the ocean than the cosmos.

And we also have satellites that can observe the oceans and special units on ships that can map the sea floor. We have many options and the way you explain it makes no sense to me.

From my perspective you're way off. Numerous nations have submarines, but not every nation has access to space. Few have put a man in space but many have put a man in the ocean.

I think what you're missing most of all is the tremendous difficulty in getting to space. Huge amounts of energy are needed. Once there, things might be a tad easier in some way, MAYBE.

But I'll give you this: the closest thing to Star Trek ships are our nuclear submarines. Like the star ships they have to supply themselves in a hostile environment and need large crews. We don't have anything like it in space. We just do not have the technology yet to do it cleanly. We could have done it by now if we had used dirty nuclear technologies, but that's not acceptable. What I've read seems to say either VASIMR or positronic-propulsion or ion propulsion or solar sails.
edit on 9-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

5% is actually fairly high. That includes the exploration we've done over hundreds of years or more. But there're 7 billion people now and we have unprecedented technology to explore.

That 5% will increase at rates never seen before.

Well... we have only got the ability for a little more the half a century. Only recently we have the possibility to simply dive and look. The pressure prevent us from from anything more difficult the simple research.

The technology that is now being used, and developed for space exploration is really changing the way we understand the universe, in a way unprecedented and huge in history and even for the future.

I can't wait for the James Webb telescope to be replacing hubble.

These are exciting times, we live in.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

According to science we now understand about 4% of the universe.

In a way you're right about the subs and people we have send down. But...

Nuclear subs are military subs, are and can only be used for mapping purposes. Satellites can only be used for identifying what elements fill the seas, and again for mapping. As in height differences.

Actually looking in the seas is difficult because there is no sunlight beyond only a few meters of water in comparison. Getting outside a sub, will be impossible and a leak in the deep will cause a sub to implode.

The scientific subs are also very small and the window you look through needs to be made of plastic inches thick to keep the water from destroying it.

You can look at space from you backyard basically.

It isn't my opinion or my personal thoughts what you read in this thread. It's that of people that have a PhD on the matter. You didn't see the video yet, did you ?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

thanks Sinter i had to save the link for viewing later but this subject has always been something i think about quite often and i don't know how they determine a percentage on something like this but i would guess it to be a lower percentage actually but yeah we definitely need new technology to allow us to send down more than a remote controlled camera or 1 or 2 people in horrible, cramped conditions. we desperately need to do this for a myriad of reasons but, for me, it needs done to advance pharmaceutical drugs to make incurable diseases curable. anyway, thanks again and can't wait to watch it AND if you know of any more i'd appreciate any other links you'd wanna share. from everyone who has any videos about this subject actually.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing this video with us here! I was not aware that the number was only 5% of the oceans explored. I would have thought we would have had a higher %. But then again, to explore underwater seems to be very dangerous and very costly adventure!
We have a Voyager leaving our solar system, and yet only 5% of our own world is fully known to us.

It goes to show, That finding who we are, and where we came from, could lay at the bottom of an ocean floor. Maybe there are cites and whole places under water now, that TPTB do not want to be exposed or known about. AS that would take the standard model of what we know, and how long we have been here, and turn it upside down on its head.
I think the wealth and treasures that lay on the bottom of the ocean floor are just waiting for us to find them.. Or maybe we have found them, and its been suppressed.
Either way. Thanks for sharing! Great video!

<<   2 >>

join