It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2400 year old gold treasure found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Archaeologists have unearthed an almost 2,400-year-old treasure in an ancient Thracian tomb in northern Bulgaria. The Thracians lived in Bulgaria and parts of modern Greece, Romania, Macedonia, and Turkey from 4,000 B.C. until they were wiped out and assimilated by invading Slavs in the 7th century AD.

The treasure was found near the village of Sveshtari, 250 miles northeast of Sofia, team leader Diana Gergova said. Among the artifacts, dating back to the end of the fourth or the beginning of the third century B.C., were gold jewelry and applications for horse trappings, a tiara with reliefs of lions and fantasy animals, as well as four bracelets and a ring.

Source : www.science20.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by drneville

What id do to get my hands on all that gold .Superb designs too.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

First thing that popped into my head. Not just gold, ancient gold

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by drneville

Posted earlier today. www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I somehow missed these images. Nice.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I missed that, did a search on "gold treasure"
nothing showed

This thread can be removed then

Greetz

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
the thing with gold is, those could have been placed by some scrupulous archaeologists and no one could tell.

and sell it to museums, collectors, governments or whatever deals they have in place with the country that the dig takes place.

think indiana jones bad guy. they exist. black and grey market.

the only criteria is to actually find a real, untouched tomb that can be confirmed by the community, and "find" whatever gold you can smuggle in.

ancient gold and an expertly done forgery with historical significance could probably fetch millions for whoever sells it.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
the problem with finding such treasure in europe, is that it could be a ww2 remake/fake

the base of the horse figurine....looks machine forged

?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yep great thing about gold is it not being affected by being buried. A gold item will look the same 1,000 years after you bury it - as a matter of fact it will look the same 1,000,000 years later, as a matter of fact gold will be there until the crust is subducted.

You can tell sometimes tell where gold has come from by analyzing trace elements in it but as gold is one thing that tends to get remelted and recase - alot, this doesn't often work well

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I suppose it's always a possibility but not very probable.

As if someone has enough Gold lying around to create such wonderful works of art and the financial security to just bury those intricate golden works of art at some obscure location in the hopes that somebody will someday discovery them buried where they were.

Then for them to just be turned over to a National Museum.

Yeah, seems like a great investment to me.

edit on 10-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Sadly you are right. I have no idea if this particular piece is a forgery, but as someone who is starting to finally work with archaeology after long year of collage, I can say you are right. Not only forgeries, but some places (mainly where tourism is a major income) you can't work or do anything without going through the "archaeological mafia". There's a lot more than that, but the point is this; we need lots of reliable studies before believing in any kind of archaeological find.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
This treasure again supports Herodotus' view, that gold mainly came from northern countries. From a gold land north of the Scyths, who had many gold (found in Scythian tombs) and then traded it to Thracians, etc. Also the horse-driven culture comes to the fore in this treasure. Very revealing finding!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Look absolutely beautiful

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Damn, they're beautiful and priceless.

new topics

top topics

join