It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mammoth fossils found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I just saw this, mammoth fossils were found during the construction of s segment of US 99 in MERCED county in central California this is just a few miles north of me and I know exactly where it is. One report said they found mammoth, camelids, bison , horses and dogs. Dogs? Do they mean coyotes or wolves.

MERCED COUNTY, CA - Fossilized remains of a an ice-age mammoth were found along a Highway 99 construction site in Merced County, says Caltrans.

www.news10.net...

In addition, partial remains of camels, antelope, bison, horses and dogs were located at the same location.

Paleontologists said it was pretty unusual to find so many Ice Age animals in the county, said Caltrans spokeswoman Angela DaPrato.

Paleontologists completed removal of the mammoth bones Wednesday and the highway work will resume.

Caltrans is working with the University of California at Merced to find a permanent depository to store and study the ancient bones, DaPrato said.

host-37.242.54.159.gannett.com...

Pretty awsome stuff, and so close to home

edit on 9-11-2012 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Wow . What is the climate there? I think I've heard of some kind of quick fossilizing process but would need to look closer . So now we have frozen intact and fossilized mammoth?

Off to do some (pardon the pun) digging.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Fascinating that the flora and fauna in the world was at most places just like Africa today (although that may change soon fast as well).

Lol in my country, we got swines, deers (small ones basicly) and a few snakes (not really dangerous ones either). Kinda boring wild life for sure these days... (almost non existent).
edit on 9-11-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Another_Nut
Wow . What is the climate there? I think I've heard of some kind of quick fossilizing process but would need to look closer . So now we have frozen intact and fossilized mammoth?

Off to do some (pardon the pun) digging.

Hi,
The climate depended on when the fossils were laid down.
There hasn't been a date for the find given,
During the last ice age the area was likely a wetland as the central valley of Ca is one of the flattest places on earth and sits at the base of the 14k foot tall Sierra Nevada mtns, that would have been under a 5000' thick ice sheet.
Large portions of the valley would have been a shallow lake covering hundreds of square miles .
One of the largest fossil beds in north America was found just a few miles south of this new find, while the Madera county landfill was being excavated.
A very nice museum was recently completed,

www.maderamammoths.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plugin
Fascinating that the flora and fauna in the world was at most places just like Africa today (although that may change soon fast as well).

Lol in my country, we got swines, deers (small ones basicaly) and a few snakes (not really dangerous ones either). Kinda boring wild life for sure these days... (almost non existent).
edit on 9-11-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

There was a dynamic population of large animals hwrr, during the ice ages.
Deer, camels, horses , mammoth,several types of bears , including the huge California
grizzly, wolves ,coyotes, saber toothed cats and the like.

top topics

join