It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Food for Everyone. Planting Fruit Trees along the Streets, instead of Worthless Trees.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
Awesome idea, wondered the same thing myself before, but Davespanners is right, it's a lot more work, and fruit trees use a lot more water.

It's the right idea though, that is the way forward, free fruit everywhere.

It's strange though, i have lemon tree hanging over my front wall, and often get people stopping to ask for some, which i'm always happy to share. The strange part is that the really poor people, who pick through the rubbish bins every tuesday don't seem to notice the lemons. I mean, if i'm a poor guy digging through rubbish, my eyes would always be wide open to fruit hanging over a wall.

But it's a matter of priority. Needs and such, like Maslow's Law. I think it's because they are focused on more low level priorities. If abundance is everywhere, then people have basics, like shelter, and some food. Then, people can think about "Lemons" and some things like making fruits juices or jams to store for themselves.
People are focused on their most important needs, and for many, they feel some things are more important than they are, and neglect other , more important things. But if primal needs were met, they could think about higher thoughts and higher ideas, and actions. We are all held back most by what we do not know, have access to, and our basic needs are barely being met.

In other words, "Lemons" do not serve the same purpose as other fruits, which are easily edible. But they are very important, especially for balancing your body's alkalinity.
edit on 9-11-2012 by magickmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
People would not just happily eat them...but people would ravage the trees, probably over-night..and then re-sell the fruits for cash, drugs..whatever. Don't underestimate humans.

There is people destroying phone lines and steeling the copper from the wires to sell it...why do you think would it be different with the fruits?

And then there is even worse possibilities, if the trees grow somewhere unprotected where anyone has easy access to..i wouldn't necessarily trust to eat those fruits. There are sick people all over this planet, just saying...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
People would not just happily eat them...but people would ravage the trees, probably over-night..and then re-sell the fruits for cash, drugs..whatever. Don't underestimate humans.

There is people destroying phone lines and steeling the copper from the wires to sell it...why do you think would it be different with the fruits?

And then there is even worse possibilities, if the trees grow somewhere unprotected where anyone has easy access to..i wouldn't necessarily trust to eat those fruits. There are sick people all over this planet, just saying...

Dude!, that's CRAZY!

OMG, we are so FU**ed!
Goodbye planet Earth!

Are you out of your mind? or just cracking major wisecracks?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by magickmaster
But if primal needs were met, they could think about higher thoughts and higher ideas, and actions. We are all held back most by what we do not know, have access to, and our basic needs are barely being met.

In other words, "Lemons" do not serve the same purpose as other fruits, which are easily edible. But they are very important, especially for balancing your body's alkalinity.

Well, i learned about scurvy in school, i don't think they teach real stuff anymore. Yeah lemons are gold to a malnourished person.

With regards this doom plonker, i am SO sick of the argument that "people are all bad" ... it's one of those TPTB slogans that retards lap up because they don't bother to think about it for even a second.

Where are all these evil people? I don't know them. Sure they're out there, but they're a small minority of weeners that we tolerate because we're better than them. Young louts that need a damn good hiding, that's all.

Everyone i know is trying to get by honestly, and tries to be nice to other people when they can.

Only people i know who should be taken out and shot are the rich, they should know better.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

...but people would ravage the trees, probably over-night..and then re-sell the fruits for cash, drugs..whatever.

Funny you say that.

I live way out in the middle of no where on a dead end street. I have a nice little dwarf peach tree my husband bought me for our anniversary one year. The second year it produced fruit someone stole all the peaches off the tree one night. There was only one other house beyond ours at the time and they are less than good neighbors. So ya, I have no doubt things like that would happen.

--------------

reply to post by magickmaster

I think it is a noble idea, but one of my concerns would be environmental and fruit quality. If it is in a big city with heavy traffic, the trees would need to be planted away from busy roads. All the crud that comes off cars works it's way into the soil and then you have apples with a hint of diesel.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Trees take a long long time to produce. Bushes might be a better option. Around here, the highway is literally lined with blueberries and raspberries and blackberries. No joke, this year I picked 18 buckets full(you know those huge buckets that joint compound comes in?). There was still plenty left, and so many people stop and pick. Lots of pies I made out of the blueberries

I never understood the mentality of people that decided concrete jungles was a good idea. Then again I am a country boy.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
For the same reason one cannot buy asswipe with food stamps.

It would actually be reasonable to assume it should be,but.......

Maybe they just don't want to invest in infrastructure,like public restrooms.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I imagine it has a lot more to do with upkeep and cleanup than anything else. If people don't bother collecting the fruit, it'll lay in the street, rot, attract insects, cause safety hazards for pedestrians ... the list goes on. Although it would be wonderful to provide things like this for people, the people, in general, wouldn't really appreciate it much and it would become a major problem more quickly than it would become a solution of any sort ;(

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Dude!, that's CRAZY!

OMG, we are so FU**ed!
Goodbye planet Earth!

Unfortunately, flexy is right on the money

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Dude!, that's CRAZY!

OMG, we are so FU**ed!
Goodbye planet Earth!

Unfortunately, flexy is right on the money

well you guys are just a happy lot now aren't ya? lol seriously we do have apple trees all over our parks here.. the parks dept maintains them and anyone can go pick them... no one I have ever seen fights over them.. usually i'm getting the higher ones and helping older ladies fill their baskets.. thats what happens when it's normal to have them about.. most folks in town don't even care about them and don't pick them to begin with.. they'd rather go buy them which I really don't know why. Our society seems to have been programmed to think if it grows in the wild it's not good for you or something.. I also go sandplum picking and we get loads and loads along the highways. There is a ton of food about people just don't know or don't care...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
as long as you don't pick any roadapples, I guess you'll be ok

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Your not the only one wondering why and to me the hazard/mess ideas don't fly just because many people would utilize it with population swelling.

The other issue is contamination from air polluters, but like most produce just washing it well is good enough.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
With all the crap there is in gasoline exhausts, and the trees on the side of the street sucking it in, I don't think I would like to eat fruit from the side of the street.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by magickmaster

I had exactly the same thoughts around a month or 2 ago....

I was actually thinking about buying some seeds and spreading them through the local park and maybe outside in the street too....

I didn't do it however.....

Yet.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
lol at masons while being irrelevant to the topic hahaha

In any case... worthless trees?
Trees are far from worthless, you have cleaner air to breathe because of them

Secondly it would never be free, nothing in this world is free
People don't get that

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>