It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Food for Everyone. Planting Fruit Trees along the Streets, instead of Worthless Trees.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Besides the fact that the Masons would not profit from it at all, why do we not have fruit trees along the streets so that the hungry will always have fruit to eat at the very least? Apple trees and Orange Trees, and Pear Trees, and Lemon Trees, and Apricot Trees, and Nectarines, and Peaches, and Cherries and Grapes, etc. Why do we grow crap trees instead of Fruit trees that can actually feed people?

Look around you when you drive down the street the next time, and see all the trees that line the sidewalk?
Every one of those trees, or even 3 trees per street, could be enough trees with fruit to supply the whole town with fruit in season.

Instead of people going around all the time, with no food, asking for spare change for food, why don't we live in abundance? Why aren't there ANY fruit trees that produce fruit for people, which are not in people's backyards? It never used to be like that, right?

The only reason I can think of is that the Masons will not make money from their food delivery trucks, gas to drive the fruit, markets that sell that fruit, fruit inspections, etc etc etc. All that loss of fruit in the Masons marketplace is the only reason I can think of that our society is constructed AWAY from those ideas.

Oh, and the pitiful excuse that someone would have to clean it all up, all the rotting fruit. Like someone would not pick it up before it rots, people would not make jam from the extra parts of fruit that was not bruised, and the street sweepers would fail to function properly, right? Those are too big of pitfalls for society to overcome to feed the homeless?

Are we not humans and humane, or do we think everyone who does not work, does not deserve to eat, either? What about the unfortunate? No compassion from anyone who works hard for that buck?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by magickmaster

i'm not sure why i'm replying to another one of you post but where on earth do you live? here we have apple trees, walnut, pecan, etc.. all over our town .. in public parks etc... my friend and I go the parks in the fall and collect apples, pecans, walnuts etc... some trees probably would need better upkeep to keep unwanted pest at bay.. and really what is with the mason thing?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What do the Masons have to do with anything?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
if you think that its because the masons wont let you, just dont tell them, guerilla gardening has picked up a lot of supporters and new recruits over the last few years. you can find free for the pickin adds online. just dont go out and dig something up in order to replant something edible, that draws eyes upon you.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

i'm not sure why i'm replying to another one of you post but where on earth do you live? here we have apple trees, walnut, pecan, etc.. all over our town .. in public parks etc... my friend and I go the parks in the fall and collect apples, pecans, walnuts etc... some trees probably would need better upkeep to keep unwanted pest at bay.. and really what is with the mason thing?

The question is, "where do you live?" because I have never lived in a city where there are fruit trees or walnuts or anything that people have access to, in any decent quantity, for people harvesting for themselves. Everything is on someone's property. Maybe you are fortunate to have that, and we all are losing that in most towns and cities?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Think of all the yearly clean up...

As long as you promise to pick up after all the fruit trees... i agree.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pseudonaut
What do the Masons have to do with anything?

Look at the entrance to every town in the country, and you'll see their sign. They control the municipalities, through corporatization. They have incorporated ALL the counties and towns, so they are all Mason controlled at the county level.

Then you have the fruit producers, the major trucking lines, the major water suppliers to the farms, the fertilizer producers for large agriculture, the pesticides, the markets and larger grocers, and the wholesalers. many of them are Masons, and therefore they would all lose money if fruit trees were spread around towns everywhere and people had to shop less for fruit in the markets.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It is funny you posted this.

My broke azz town just cut down all of the trees lining the streets.

They are spending $33,000 to replant "new" trees in planters. Now there is going to have to be someone watering and maintaining the trees.

What a waste.

There would have to be rules to the free fruit. You would have some people hoarding g all of the fruit and trying to sell the frui.

Your plan revolves around people not being greedy. We all know that he majority is greedy.

But I can agree with the plan. Just to give it a try.

UT would also hurt the orchards in the area. We have a lot of orchards around.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

i live in the heartland of america... so there's that.... you must live in a concrete jungle...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

i live in the heartland of america... so there's that.... you must live in a concrete jungle...

Yes, that's true.
So how about some "heart" for the people in the concrete jungle?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

i have plenty of heart for you if you are truly homeless and hungry... our way of life though i can guarantee are at extremes.. i live in a community.. i know my neighbors.. 3 churches in our small town offer food banks and 3 nights a week you can go to 3 different places in town for a free meal for dinner.. we take care of each other here and i'm sad you've not experienced a true community.. i say hitch hike the hell outta there.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

i have plenty of heart for you if you are truly homeless and hungry... our way of life though i can guarantee are at extremes.. i live in a community.. i know my neighbors.. 3 churches in our small town offer food banks and 3 nights a week you can go to 3 different places in town for a free meal for dinner.. we take care of each other here and i'm sad you've not experienced a true community.. i say hitch hike the hell outta there.

I'm not bad off, myself, i'm doing fine. But thanks.
I'm just concerned for the state of our collective health, treating people the way we do, in society. Los Angeles, SF New York, Chicago. Those are not people friendly places. They are attractive to live in, but impossible for those who are not adept at surviving. I'm just trying to explore ways to help those less fortunate, by being creative with solutions.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

well you could turn into johnny appleseed but it takes a good 15-20 for an apple tree to produce... most fruit and nut trees do.. so it takes Forethought... but nothing like getting started today..

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

well you could turn into johnny appleseed but it takes a good 15-20 for an apple tree to produce... most fruit and nut trees do.. so it takes Forethought... but nothing like getting started today..

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Good question.
I'm from "tree city U.S.A." also called Birmingham, AL. There aren't any fruit producing trees. Why? I imagine it's because the city doesn't want to pay someone to pick up the rotten fruit on the streets.
I think it's a novel idea to plant food producing trees in the city. However, there will be a group of people to harvest the trees before the people can distribute the food, at which point people will be angry at it's not a community thing.

It's worth pursuing though, and I should talk to my local officials to see what's up with the whole fruit tree thing.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Also, there are now dwarf trees that produce in 2-3 years instead, they are smaller, but very productive. We just have to think, "bushes" instead of "trees".

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
Good question.
I'm from "tree city U.S.A." also called Birmingham, AL. There aren't any fruit producing trees. Why? I imagine it's because the city doesn't want to pay someone to pick up the rotten fruit on the streets.
I think it's a novel idea to plant food producing trees in the city. However, there will be a group of people to harvest the trees before the people can distribute the food, at which point people will be angry at it's not a community thing.

It's worth pursuing though, and I should talk to my local officials to see what's up with the whole fruit tree thing.

I thought of that, too. The issue of greed. But if there were plentiful trees, then there would be no way to control the fruit produced. It's only lack of resources that get controlled easily, abundance is not easily controlled. That's why the idea is good, I think. When there is over abundance, prices come down, and the motive for greed disappears.
edit on 9-11-2012 by magickmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I think most trees planted in cities are chosen because they are easy to maintain and hardy,
Most fruit trees as far as I'm aware need routine pruning and care as well as dealing with pests and the like, so your going to need a fair few employees looking after the fruit trees in order for them to carry on being healthy and bearing useful fruit

So you have a bunch of trees spread out over a city and a bunch of people cultivating them and caring for them, thats a fruit farm by another name, but a really inefficient fruit farm where the cost to whoever is paying for the fruit trees to be cultivated is far higher then if they just stuck them all together in a field

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I think most trees planted in cities are chosen because they are easy to maintain and hardy,
Most fruit trees as far as I'm aware need routine pruning and care as well as dealing with pests and the like, so your going to need a fair few employees looking after the fruit trees in order for them to carry on being healthy and bearing useful fruit

So you have a bunch of trees spread out over a city and a bunch of people cultivating them and caring for them, thats a fruit farm by another name, but a really inefficient fruit farm where the cost to whoever is paying for the fruit trees to be cultivated is far higher then if they just stuck them all together in a field

That's not a bad idea, either. But if it's centralized, then someone can try to control it. A local gang, picking every fruit from the park.....A central planner, pre-harvesting food for their personal family, and their families families, etc

Not a bad idea to contribute though. I just posted about a central sleeping location like Travelers Parks, so this fits in line with that. Some places centralized, in each county, that could be for food, and sleeping, would be ideal.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Awesome idea, wondered the same thing myself before, but Davespanners is right, it's a lot more work, and fruit trees use a lot more water.

It's the right idea though, that is the way forward, free fruit everywhere.

It's strange though, i have lemon tree hanging over my front wall, and often get people stopping to ask for some, which i'm always happy to share. The strange part is that the really poor people, who pick through the rubbish bins every tuesday don't seem to notice the lemons. I mean, if i'm a poor guy digging through rubbish, my eyes would always be wide open to fruit hanging over a wall.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join