It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if aliens are sending communications through quantum states?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
With scientists creating quantum computing, quantum internet and what not, what if the quantum state is where we should be looking for alien communication since it theoretically would be the quickest best and most far reaching method to send signals through.

Perhaps we're looking for wrong modes of signals in the wrong places

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
With scientists creating quantum computing, quantum internet and what not, what if the quantum state is where we should be looking for alien communication since it theoretically would be the quickest best and most far reaching method to send signals through.

Maybe we do have them if some of the worlds military are really decades ahead of what is made public in regards of technology .

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Quantum computing and "quantum internet" are far FAR FAR from becoming practical and anywhere near commonplace in our society.

And 'best' is an overstatement. It wouldn't be practical to relay information through quantum-level particles to a civilization that isn't even on the verge of local particle transportation.
edit on 8-11-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well, the only issue I can see with this is you would end up with geeks like me, and my classmates pranking the human race. The issue with "quantum" communication is it goes from one spot, to another with out traveling. You would have no idea where it came from and no way of tracing it to an origin. So say, we develop the means to communicate and receive messages using qubits how would you know you are not communicating with 1 someone on earth, or yourself from the past, present or future. Funny thing qubits. Once you open this door, things get a little twilight zone-esque.

I guess I should also add, that this technology being even remotely available in the next 10, 20 maybe even 100 years is a problem as well.

Communication with a theory that is still unproven will remain mostly sci-fi for a long long time.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Well if we can get access to coordinates, pics, vids, audio, or exotic chemical structures or other info from Advanced civilizations, it would be easy to discern

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I can bull# all of that for you right now, how do you know I'm not an advanced species communicating with you right now? If you have no way to prove it, and being this technology (99% still a theory) can transcend time and space, I could give you data you can not understand, nor prove and how would you know?

Even if we possessed quantum communication, it is untraceable. The moment I typed it would appear, instantaneous, and as literally as that can be taken. No time, no traveling it's just there.

en.wikipedia.org...

It wouldn't matter what you were told, you can't validate it. The message could come from Earth, or 50 billion light years away, it would arrive instantaneously, and if it came from a distance where other stars, galaxies, dust, interstellar material, or sheer distance prevents you from seeing the object, co-ordinates do not matter.

I do believe if this technology is real to some race out there, they do most likely send signals this way, for the fact less advanced beings such as ourselves could not receive them.

It makes the most sense if a species is trying to reach us, they will do it in a manner we can receive.

Oh, and there are unexplainable crop circles that just seem to manifest, this could very well be done in a similar manner, yet we can seem to figure those out either.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Considering just a few labs around the world are working on quantum computing and communication, that should be enough for now to filter out jokers and pranksters from creating fake communications.

Sure you're right about fake comm when quantum comm is globally prevalent, but right now the use is and will be for quite a while, filtered to strictly academic use. That should be more than enough to keep out fakes for now

I think we need more positivity and optimism about these possibilities instead of skeptical pessimism
edit on 9-11-2012 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Since quantum states are not subject to manipulation in any meaningful way, then such states cannot be used to transfer information in any way.

Therefore, you needn't worry about it. Just keep those wire hangers stuck in your ears. I'm sure the aliens will call you eventually.

Harte

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Since quantum states are not subject to manipulation in any meaningful way, then such states cannot be used to transfer information in any way.

Considering quantum physics is still in its infancy, how do you know this is true? Perhaps it is subject to manipulation, or has its own frequency, or other anomalies we are not aware of yet.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

Considering quantum physics is still in its infancy, how do you know this is true? Perhaps it is subject to manipulation, or has its own frequency, or other anomalies we are not aware of yet.

You can "perhaps" your way into anything.

Information cannot be transferred using entanglement. I assumed that was what was meant.

How do I know? I know enough about it to know. Do you?

Harte

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Yes i study quantum physics for the last 7-8 years. We send/receive info in all sorts of methods, all of which is foundationally made of single atoms, these atoms having access to quantum states. Considering we are already finding out how to teleport photons, amongst other forms of info/matter, who's to say that the same way photons are being teleported isn't the same method with which aliens are sending transmissions over vast distances

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

Yes i study quantum physics for the last 7-8 years. We send/receive info in all sorts of methods, all of which is foundationally made of single atoms, these atoms having access to quantum states. Considering we are already finding out how to teleport photons, amongst other forms of info/matter, who's to say that the same way photons are being teleported isn't the same method with which aliens are sending transmissions over vast distances

If you've studied for several years, then you know that the paired quantum state shared through entanglement occurs at the instant of entanglement. There is no way to tell when observing an entangled particle what, if any, influence (such as observation of the quantum state - "collapsing the wave") has been applied to its partner particle. It's not as if a photon simply comes into existence in the "teleportation" you mention. Measurement must occur, at which time the question becomes did your observation cause the photon, or did the observation at the other end cause the photon.

I believe there is no answer to that question that is amenable to the transfer of information in that manner.

In another sense, we use quanta to transfer information all the time - just not instantaneously. As I said, I assumed entanglement was the method the poster had in mind. Otherwise, why not just call it radiowaves?

Harte
edit on 11/9/2012 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Perhaps it is subject to manipulation,

Quantum communication systems such as the fiber channel setups they were testing years ago at Los Alamos used something analogous to a parity check to make sure the data had not been tampered with. In their system any kind of "Man in the middle" monitoring would collapse the wave function in a manner that the intended receiver could detect.

Its a fascinating subject even the museum age technology, and if any alien signals had been successfully shagged in our military dishes (in the past) those might remain classified permanently.
edit on 9-11-2012 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join