It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof of Facebook Using Facial Recognition Software?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Well ATS, I wanted to tell you of a strange occurrence that I have stumbled upon in relation to the title of this thread.
I have a Facebook page that my closest friends and family members are on. I have had this page for a number of years. This past week I decided to make a page based on an interest of mine - and this is where it gets kind of strange for me. I am going to explain these oddities and the differences below between the two pages in numbered point like format.

1.) My main Facebook page lists my name, address, relatives and school and work history. I have no shared friends or family between the two pages at all.

2.) The second page was created with no name (other than a nickname I use in my personal life, which has never once been referenced in six years on the main page), address, work history, or friends and family linked to the "real" Facebook page that I started years ago. It tells nothing personal about me whatsoever. It's completely based on the special interest that I created it for.

3.) The specific interests that I started the second page based upon, has never been mentioned even once on my "main" page. Not once in over 6 years since creating it.

4.) Each page has different e-mail addresses linked to it. They are completely different even down to the host of each e-mail provider. I did this due to the overflow of Facebook updates to the "main" account - it helps me track both better.

Now here is the strange part - The one and ONLY similarity is that each page shares one photo. On the "main" page this photo is in an album; and is not the profile picture. The second and newly created page shows this picture as the main profile picture. Every day since I have created this secondary profile, it keeps pulling my main page up as a suggestion to friend - with no information whatsoever being shared between the two; not by name, location, friends etc. They are night and day in comparison. This started within ten minutes of creating this new page; It suggesting I friend the "main" page.

How is this possible? There is absolutely no information similar in any way whatsoever... accept for the photo between the two. It got me thinking as to a few possibilities that this could be...

1.) Facebook truly is using facial recognition software. This proving that it recognized the similarities between the two pictures on both pages with this technology, and subsequently creating a link between the two in the database.

2.) Facebook is linking these two pages with another means: ISP address tracking. With both pages, I use with the same ISP address.

3.) Data mining. Finding resources off of the Facebook site and using them to create a link between the two pages. This is the one that when I do consider it, bothers me the most.

I have tried different methods of searching for people on Facebook since noting this - namely friends with the same interests I have as far as the second page was created for. I found something interesting about that. When I used the search query with the special interest named, many names came up, including a few of my friends of the same interest. The odd thing about this, is that a few friends and even people I do not know, came up in this search with no mentioning of this special interest on their Facebook pages as well; some like me, have never mentioned this on their pages. I have mentioned this special interest - as my friends have - on other websites only, so how is Facebook pulling these profiles based on this special interest? Is information being shared between these sites, or have they been tracking what we have been doing using our ISP addresses pertaining to this special interest somehow?

And how is Facebook making a link between these two vastly different pages? Is it facial recognition. ISP tracking, data mining or possibly all 3? I have to admit watching this over the past few days has been strange. Common sense tells me that no discernible link could possibly be made between the two pages with one not having ANY vital info or personal information in comparison to the other one.

After seeing this happen and experimenting with searching for others with same similar interest, this leads me to believe (even more so) that Facebook is definitely data mining on it's members and possibly using facial recognition as a source of tracking and sharing information on all of us, as well as tracking and recording ISP addresses as another possibility. I have never completely trusted Facebook, but this has led me to trust them even less now.

edit on 8-11-2012 by Rubicant13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
facebook announced facial recognition tagging in their pics 2 years ago..

(i say their pics as according to the T&C once its on FB, its theirs)

they also track all text you type and target ads

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Are you using two different browsers for these sessions?

Web apps will use data stored in your temp internet (IE), Mozilla (Firefox), etc; directories to build the application's personalization.

Personalization is built off search history in the browser, not from specific user logins. e.g. - I search for PCs on tigerdirect.com I get customer ads on ATS for tigerdirect.

Try to prove your theory by using exclusive environments. Browsers, virtual machines, etc;

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubicant13

Woah Rubicant thats a pretty big claim, but the oddity of your instance is also rather odd.

From this thread I cant answer any of these questions BUT, It might be worth repeating the experiment with two new accounts and an identical picture. If facebook suggests the new A account befriend the other new B account then their may be some depth to your claim?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
Are you using two different browsers for these sessions?

Web apps will use data stored in your temp internet (IE), Mozilla (Firefox), etc; directories to build the application's personalization.

Personalization is built off search history in the browser, not from specific user logins. e.g. - I search for PCs on tigerdirect.com I get customer ads on ATS for tigerdirect.

Try to prove your theory by using exclusive environments. Browsers, virtual machines, etc;

No, I do not use different browsers. I use Chrome for both pages. Interesting that they could be linked together this way. I would not guess that. I guess it is possible, but to me it seems more like the facial recognition/ISP tracking/data mining angle.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
facebook announced facial recognition tagging in their pics 2 years ago..

(i say their pics as according to the T&C once its on FB, its theirs)

they also track all text you type and target ads

Okamitengu is quite correct. Photo tagging is a scourge on our privacy. Facebook datamines everything and sells the data to anyone who is willing to pay.

Why Facebook's Facial Recognition is Creepy

Facedeals matches facial recognition to Facebook profiles to offer in-store deals

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Just wear shades in all your pics, their software isn't good at seeing you, or better yet boycott FB all together, pretty useless network anyway... for those who are planning on joining fb this is what your fb will look like in 5 years...All of your friends either bother you or mock you if you decide to post an opinion on your very own timeline that they don't agree with. That's fb in a nutshell, alienating users one like at a time, basically if you have no life you may find some fake friends but those with lives that rarely use it will be the ones mocked, when it should be the other way around. I tell someone I use fb one second a month and they literally thought I was joking, the person was addicted and uses it 5+ hours a day.

Just post all your pics with shades, or quit, prollem solved.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I believe this was the plan.

From the beginning.

You played around on fb doing all this, while suspecting nothing?

There may be hope, after all.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

Didn't say I expected nothing. I just didn't expect that the two pages could be linked in any way with no information shared between the two is all. Was odd for me to see FB trying to link me to the second profile - and not after only ten minutes of being up.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I sent a message to a friend of mine via facebook, and the content of the message mentioned my location. I then received an e-mail from facebook asking me if I wanted to add this location to my profile. I deleted my account.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tazdeill2
I sent a message to a friend of mine via facebook, and the content of the message mentioned my location. I then received an e-mail from facebook asking me if I wanted to add this location to my profile. I deleted my account.

No you didn't. It's actually impossible to delete a Facebook account. You can deactivate it, but it's never completely deleted from their database. Once you're in their system, you're in there for good.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

As they say, if you dont like the intrusive nature of it, dont use it. It really is that simple. Did you read the T&C's properly? My guess is you didn't, so you will be in for a surprise when you do.

They own you.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Facebook asked if I wanted to delete my info, so that's what I did, if they lied about it, that's fine, I never completed my profile, and gave no 'accurate' data, they can fill their boots.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by OratoryHeist

As they say, if you dont like the intrusive nature of it, dont use it. It really is that simple. Did you read the T&C's properly? My guess is you didn't, so you will be in for a surprise when you do.

They own you.

if you have the choice to quit or change, you are not owned...conversely, if you cannot change or quit, only then are you owned.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
[if you have the choice to quit or change, you are not owned...conversely, if you cannot change or quit, only then are you owned.

Wrong. The choice to change or quit, is just that, a choice. Just as you choose to be owned by Facebook when you join. A dog has an owner, and yet it gets the opportunities to run away and be free, if it wants.

If you cannot change or quit, then you are a captive. Whilst you are a member of Facebook, your information is owned and distributed by them inorder to make money. You help them make money and you get NOTHING in return.

Facebook is for the dumb and stupid.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by OratoryHeist

[if you have the choice to quit or change, you are not owned...conversely, if you cannot change or quit, only then are you owned.

Wrong. The choice to change or quit, is just that, a choice. Just as you choose to be owned by Facebook when you join. A dog has an owner, and yet it gets the opportunities to run away and be free, if it wants.

If you cannot change or quit, then you are a captive. Whilst you are a member of Facebook, your information is owned and distributed by them inorder to make money. You help them make money and you get NOTHING in return.

Facebook is for the dumb and stupid.

i have the freedom to NOT belong to facebook, which i do not...therefore, i'm NOT owned by facebook...this is pretty easy to understand for me...but, apparently that associates my behavior with that of a dog

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

i have the freedom to NOT belong to facebook, which i do not...therefore, i'm NOT owned by facebook...this is pretty easy to understand for me...but, apparently that associates my behavior with that of a dog

I see, so now that you have seen the error in what you wrote, you are trying to save face and squirm out of it. Weak.

Good for you not being part of facebook.

...that might be easy for you to understand, but apparently what I wrote was not easy for you to understand. You didn't understand the metaphor.

Oh well.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Well obviously this is why they named it Facebook so members can intentionally link and share this way.
Probably should just take the "shortcut tag explanation" and be gone but the situation does scale.
You could try using the free wifi link at Mcdonalds but even that won't keep you anonymous if you are a regular customer.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Funny thing is I always was able and still am to live without such site like Facebook, using professional LinkedIn only, and guess what - I live a good life.

I meet and call my friends, seeing them at least once a week, keep in touch with some via email or texting.

What FB is needed for except for tracking and spying is beyond me.

What is alarming is they (and by they I mean the group collecting and posessing the data) is bringing up whole generation, luring them with minigames and silly stuff like 'sharing what I like', and in 10-20 years Facebook along with Google wiill have unimaginable database on every human thay will able to connect to.

Still, not being a tinfoil hat nut, just do not need this stuff and simply do not have time for it, spending most of my time in real life.

top topics

join