Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Urine Powered Generator

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

14-year-olds Duro-Aina Adebola, Akindele Abiola, Faleke Oluwatoyin, and 15-year-old Bello Eniola have created a urine powered generator. Here’s how it works:

Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which cracks the urea into nitrogen, water, and hydrogen.The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder. The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas. This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator
1 Liter of urine gives you 6 hours of electricity.

source

PDF peer reviewed journal article PDF

The source takes a bit of a beating in the comments.

We have demonstrated that urea at the concentrations found in urine can be used for the production of H2 through this new technology utilizing inexpensive Ni.

for comparison, we found that 30% less energy is required for urea electrolysis, which generated 36% cheaper hydrogen compared to water electrolysis.

from the journal article

edit on 11/8/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It's apparently a cheaper way to make hydrogen from urine instead of water, but it still requires more electrical energy input to the cell to make it go than you get back.

On the other hand, the energy in vs energy out is a lot better than trying to electrolyze water.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I can see it now, rest stops for long trips are a thing of the past! Oh, time to refuel kids! I'm sure with the surplus of soda people drink, it wouldn't be hard to keep energy demands low.

But none the less, this is pretty cool that some teenagers discovered this, there might still be some hope yet for the next generation.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Let me get this right a 14 and 15 year old planed and made this?? Now that's takin the piss lol mind the pun

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
surely there is a solid waste component left after this?

scrape n throw?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by birdyat101
Let me get this right a 14 and 15 year old planed and made this?? Now that's takin the piss lol mind the pun

Nobody told them that there's nothing better than oil yet. We better put a stop to this. Fast.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Cool,drink beer and pee in your generator!

Yea for innovation.
edit on 8-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: Because of beer and typing don't mix

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Wouldnt it beeasier to piss ina container made of two different metals, and just tap into the potential?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
That is cool news. I read the sources and some additional information....... considering just the factory farms full of pigs would power a town! lol Anyway.... as stated, Urea is the largest source of waste on th planet.... kinda hard to imagine but...whatever, I suppose it could be true...... there should be generators attached to every urinal! Interesting find.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Cool,drink beer and pee in your generator!

Yea for innovation.
edit on 8-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: Because of beer and typing don't mix

Yup.

Now all it needs is a proper name....

"Pissing Power" ?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wow. Innovative.

I wonder if there is a difference if you are hydrated or not? You know, when you pee clear or yellow?

Mind boggling. Pee-power.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Pretty neat, but you have to wonder about the smell it will cause

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
It's apparently a cheaper way to make hydrogen from urine instead of water, but it still requires more electrical energy input to the cell to make it go than you get back.

On the other hand, the energy in vs energy out is a lot better than trying to electrolyze water.

Of course if you use a solar panel to get the electricity then that running cost becomes zero. Urine is free as well.

P

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Of course if you use a solar panel to get the electricity then that running cost becomes zero. Urine is free as well.

P

Just remember, though, that if you want a LOT of hydrogen from your pee supply, you'd need a LOT of solar cells, because you'll be putting in about 1.8x the energy you'll get back from burning the hydrogen. Still, that's 30% better than what you get from doing it to water, so it's significantly more efficient. It is not, however, miraculous.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

P

No it is still a net loss of energy. Why use 10kwh of solar energy to end up with 8kwh of urea energy. You take the 8kwh, I will stick with the 10kwh.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

P

No it is still a net loss of energy. Why use 10kwh of solar energy to end up with 8kwh of urea energy. You take the 8kwh, I will stick with the 10kwh.

And at night I have power and light and you friend are sitting in darkness like a lame duck!

You use solar when it is available and you hydrogen to generate power when the sun goes down. How hard is it to think rationally.

P

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Infinite source of cheap power.

Have to say it - Took women to do it.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

P

No at night I have a 95% efficient storage battery to draw from. Sorry but you still lose.

And at night I have power and light and you friend are sitting in darkness like a lame duck!

You use solar when it is available and you hydrogen to generate power when the sun goes down. How hard is it to think rationally.

P

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by iforget

Infinite source of cheap power.

Have to say it - Took women to do it.

It's actually really expensive energy. It is pretty neat though.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
URINE IS NOT A POWER SOURCE.

These women pissed into an electrolysis cell.
edit on 23-11-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

top topics

join