It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Post-Apocalypse Survival Machine Nerd Farm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

An interesting article about an experimental off-the-grid survivalist farm in Missouri:

The Post-Apocalypse Survival Machine Nerd Farm

...“What we are doing here is conducting a civilization reboot experiment...It’s about sustainable living and having open access to critical information and tools.”

Jakubowski’s hut anchors a 30-acre compound near Maysville, Mo., full of wooden shacks, yurts, work sheds, flapping laundry, clucking chickens, and a collection of black and strange-looking machinery. A dozen or so people in their twenties, none of whom appears to have bathed in a while, wander around or fiddle with the machines. Jakubowski has named the place Factor e Farm, though the goal isn’t just the cultivation of crops. Rather, it’s to create a completely self-sufficient community that produces not only its own food, but also energy, tools, and raw materials for making those tools. Jakubowski’s ultimate purpose is both to live off the grid and to teach others—whether out of choice or necessity—how to do so too.

These people are trying to achieve "citvilization-level" off-the-grid living. Whether its composting their own excretions, building bricks from dirt, or baking bread, they have identified a number of basic civilizational building blocks that they believe are needed to build a moderately-advanced off-the-grid sustainable community. There are some signs that they may be able to achieve good concrete long-term results.

The community's founder, Marcin Jakubowski, also gave a TED talk about his vision, which you can watch below:

edit on 11/8/2012 by FailedProphet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

SnF for the title alone

Call me fastidious but the disaster waiting in the first picture does not inspire confidence in these guys effort.

Wood stove surrounded by flammables, bed hanging on twine, roof falling in on itself, YIKES! Go ahead call me the anal retentive camper but that gives me nightmares. Yes I am guilty of extrapolating that nonsense into whatever else they are trying to do. Call me crazy but if they can't get the stove right, what else are they screwing up? Lock me up.

I remember about the kid who moved to Alaska to live in a bus. He died. I used to live in Alaska and thought he was gravely ill informed and ill prepared.

I totally salute these guys efforts and wish them the best. But for crying out load though, clean the place up and get the details right!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
ok, so they go back to living how we did 100-200 years ago, ?

and this is supposed to be new?

i applaud their effort, but seriously we all forgot this stuff, we just have to get of our asses and remember it.

also... bathing is part of living.. they need to solve that bit too...

ETA: hippies tried this in the 60's they were called communes

edit on 8-11-2012 by okamitengu because: hippies...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I am getting scared here, "IF" some apocalyptic event happens and takes out all but 500,000 people worldwide, we may end up with a world filled with really messed up "survivors".

I enjoy watching that series Preppers, and honestly sometimes I think OMG...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

I have to say at least this guy is giving it his best and his surrounding reflect it.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think the guy in the pic looks a little malnourished and scrawny.

It's a little scary...a little creepy...a little geeky...but at least these guys have a vision and are doing something about it instead of just talking. So on that basis...I cautiously approve.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Careful watching that series

Like anything on TV, they pick the most wacked out individuals to make a 'compelling story'. Most of us are just average, boring stories with a well stocked pantry and extra batteries.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I am getting scared here, "IF" some apocalyptic event happens and takes out all but 500,000 people worldwide, we may end up with a world filled with really messed up "survivors".

I enjoy watching that series Preppers, and honestly sometimes I think OMG...

I think that the odds of one of us are slim to none to one of those that survive the drop from 7 billion people to 500,000.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
op thanks for the thread.

You want to hope if anything does happen you have some one like that as a neighbour, seriously.

" What Jakubowski is trying to prove is that people can live without the help of corporations."
" they spend too much time obsessing over patents, spending millions on commercials, and generally getting in the way of progress."

"If we can lower the barriers to farming, building, manufacturing,” he said calmly, “then we can unleash just massive amounts of human potential"

Pretty amazing attitude, even if he's eccentric.

They sound like the new technological 'tribe' literally, really cool read

Here's their site for anyone interested
link

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

By 'us' do you mean ATS members, preppers, whirdos? You and me?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

I know, have wondered if they are creating a nutjob case against anyone who thinks ahead. It cant end well if being prepared outside the underground bunkers for the elites complete with malls, movie theaters, Dr/Dental services grocery stores, ski chalets, Olympic swimming pools etc makes us crazy and domestic terrorists...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

You are probably on to something.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by kdog1982

By 'us' do you mean ATS members, preppers, whirdos? You and me?

I think it will have to do more with location,location ,location.

I was watching one of those prepper shows and they're doomsday bunker flooded out because of a hurricane.
Either the very smart or the very lucky will survive.
And that was a general comment on all people,not just us or ATS

top topics

join