It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Tibetans Self-Immolate As China's Party Congress Opens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

More Tibetans Self-Immolate As China's Party Congress Opens

www.globalsecurity.org

Two more Tibetans have set themselves afire to protest Chinese policies in Tibet, raising the total of self-immolation protests to six in the past two days.

A former monk, 18-year-old Kalsang Jinpa, died after setting himself on fire Thursday in Rongwo town in Rebkong, eastern Tibet (called Qinghai Province in Chinese).

Witnesses said he raised a white banner calling for the Dalai Lama’s return to Tibet. They also said the protest drew a large crowd and the situation there remains tense.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Perhaps I have just been focusing on other things... but I was somewhat taken aback by two statements in this article:

...The new self-immolations bring the total number to t least 69 since February of 2009....

and

...China has long accused Tibetan exiles of self-immolating as part of a separatist struggle, denouncing them as terrorists....

As China opened its 18th Party Congress in Beijing for a once-in-a-decade leadership transition; one might think that such demonstrations of desperation would attract the attention of the leadership... or the party....

... but I can only presume such news is not exactly "reported" within China's media ... anymore than much of our 'news' is "reported" per se.

Whatever the outcome in Tibet... whatever the outcome in China... it says a lot that we rarely hear about this...

... standing by for the water army's arrival to tell us how the Dalai Lama is evil... and I suppose that the self-immolaters are too.

www.globalsecurity.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Absolutely horrible.

I still have images of those monks who immolated themselves in the past stuck in my head. Heartbreaking.

For as bad as some of us might think politics are here in the States, it is nowhere as terrible as it could be. This puts it all in perspective.

Tks Max...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

... but I can only presume such news is not exactly "reported" within China's media ... anymore than much of our 'news' is "reported" per se.

Whatever the outcome in Tibet... whatever the outcome in China... it says a lot that we rarely hear about this...

I think these are the important notes to be aware of. How effective can a protest or demonstration be if those who you hope to garner support from are completely unaware of your plight.

Seems like a fruitless gesture, though obviously not to them, to kill yourself in protest when you cant hope to encourage support because of the strict crack down on the media in the country.

I hope that more of this stuff becomes more internationally available, because as you alluded to, you were unaware, as I, that they were up to that many people sacrificing their lives.

I hope eventually, these brave individuals losing their lives in an attempt to incite change will bejustified and recognized by the people.

PS.

That website, pop-up spammed my computer.

edit on 8-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

edit on 8-11-2012 by TrueBrit because: So sorry like clone posts or something.

link   

edit on 8-11-2012 by TrueBrit because: Clone post

link   

edit on 8-11-2012 by TrueBrit because: Flippin clones are everywhere!

link   
It comes to something where people have to set themselves on fire to get thier messege out. What are we doing to ourselves as a species? Its like we are slowly crucifying ourselves.

Bloody terrible.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

PS.

That website, pop-up spammed my computer.

Yes, it was disappointing to see that in order to get that news; you had to endure someones e-marketing trickery.

I was hoping to locate another source to use... and only now have I found one

Rights groups: 5 Tibetans self-immolate in 2 days

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It takes some level of belief and commitment to be prepared to perfom the ultimate sacrifice on yourself...............

The concept to me, a comfortable westerner sitting in a warm house, with food in the fridge and running water means I can not even partially understand why someone would soak themselves in petrol and commit suicide ............................

ask yourself the question..............what would YOU do this for...?

Regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

No worries buddy. If a few pop ups are the only thing i have to deal with to further understand the state of our world and those suffering trying to change it for the better, then i glady accept the need to click a few boxes closed.

Just wanted to make people aware.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It's a bloody shame when people kill themselves to raise awareness, but no one becomes aware of their cause.

I wonder if the conditions are really that bad, or if it is only ideals that are in conflict. Either way, self-immolation doesn't seem the easiest course of action.

Thanks for sharing this.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
gotta love western hypocrisy.... westerners get upset over a few tibetans immolating themselves yet support the mass murder of iraqis.. afghans... pakistanis... in order to steal the resources and for the corporations to profit.... guess its easier to complain about others while committing far worse atrocities around the world in the name of freedom and democracy.... straighten out your own house before you condemn others.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
It's a bloody shame when people kill themselves to raise awareness, but no one becomes aware of their cause

China

Population of 1.5 Billion a few crispy monks wont mean a damn thing unfortunately. Just like those Indian farmers who burned themselves in protest again Monsanto...

Sad but true.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
gotta love western hypocrisy.... westerners get upset over a few tibetans immolating themselves yet support the mass murder of iraqis.. afghans... pakistanis... in order to steal the resources and for the corporations to profit.... guess its easier to complain about others while committing far worse atrocities around the world in the name of freedom and democracy.... straighten out your own house before you condemn others.

NO!

That's also tragic.

One horrible story at a time.
edit on 8-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888

Aside from you condemning the west... what are you talking about?

I don't think of self-immolation in terms of "a few Tibetans."

Where is this support of mass-murder to which you refer? What was the complaint?

I think you might be in the wrong thread.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
To be in such deep emotional turmoil about your belief system that you would set yourself on fire - is not something I can imagine. To believe that the act would bring people to learn about your cause and the cause of your pain is a deep level of belief.

The Tibetans deserve to live in their own country with their own spiritual leader - The Dali Lama. We have to ask ourselves what type of world do we live in when one country just marches in and takes over another country?? A psychopathic led country - no different to the bullies in the schoolyard - just all grown up with armies at their disposal.

I feel sad that the Monks believed they had no choice but to immolate. I feel sad that their beloved Spiritual leader cannot go home to his people. I feel sad that we as a global community cannot right the wrongs of invaded Tibet. This story is sad for many reasons - not just the immolation of a peaceful human being.

Much Peace...to the Monks who self sacrificed - please guide us in Spirit...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

It takes some level of belief and commitment to be prepared to perfom the ultimate sacrifice on yourself...............

Im gonna go with psychotic, suicidal or just plain stupid.
Yea I sound like an ass but thats a horrible way to die, those monks must be eating ritualistic mushrooms or something.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

As China opened its 18th Party Congress in Beijing for a once-in-a-decade leadership transition; one might think that such demonstrations of desperation would attract the attention of the leadership... or the party....

Not at all. Censorship goes as far as making cab drivers auto lock the windows when driving by certain areas, so no one throws pamphlets out. The "leaders" are selected in absolute secrecy from civilians. No one knows anything about any political movement.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
And the point of the immolations is??? Tibet is not worth a confrontation with China. It seems the "holy" buddhist are just as shovenistic to other groups in the area. China must be confronted about human rights as a whole and not because a "buddhist" fetish some people have in the west.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join