It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Be Prepared Thread....But Different...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
First let me say that I don't believe anything will happen on December 21st that is super natural or any kind of natural disaster. I do fear that 1) People may panic, 2) a coincidental minor natural disaster could occur on the same day causing panic, 3) Someone may intentionally pick this day for a terrorist attack etc....

Contrary to what many might think here, most of the world has thoroughly moved on from the momentary obsession we had with the whole 2012 apocalypse thing. People are just not talking about it, not thinking about it, and even as a member here I have very little interest in the whole notion of it.

There might be a very small minority who still thinks something is going to happen, but an event as you describe will not create any more widespread a panic in the people than such a thing would on any other day, any other year IMO.

I think people should always be prepared for the most likely scenarios, and most can work out what they need to prepare for based on their location and the most plausible scenarios. I don't think the whole 2012 thing even registers with the vast majority of people.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uberdavo
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

The way you worded your first post, it did seem like you were talking about any event, at any time. That being said, I was not making fun of you because of your profession
. Well, maybe a lil bit. Thankyou for clearing it up though

No harm mate...its an easy profession to hate haha...and make fun of.... I appreciate your involvement in the thread!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
First let me say that I don't believe anything will happen on December 21st that is super natural or any kind of natural disaster. I do fear that 1) People may panic, 2) a coincidental minor natural disaster could occur on the same day causing panic, 3) Someone may intentionally pick this day for a terrorist attack etc....

Contrary to what many might think here, most of the world has thoroughly moved on from the momentary obsession we had with the whole 2012 apocalypse thing. People are just not talking about it, not thinking about it, and even as a member here I have very little interest in the whole notion of it.

There might be a very small minority who still thinks something is going to happen, but an event as you describe will not create any more widespread a panic in the people than such a thing would on any other day, any other year IMO.

I think people should always be prepared for the most likely scenarios, and most can work out what they need to prepare for based on their location and the most plausible scenarios. I don't think the whole 2012 thing even registers with the vast majority of people.

You are probably right...my only concern is that I do think things are very fragile....so lets say that small minority did freak out causing a chain reaction which could lead to bigger problems. I suppose you could substitute any event really.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

I did get a couple of guns. I am not a gun type guy, but I don't want to be the one without one. A 22 cal. rifle with scope and a 9 mm hand gun.. And a sign for my front yard....You Loot....I shoot.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Always consider the worst case scenario,and implement safety measures in the event it traspires.

Prepare for the worst,hope for the best.

And people regularly accuse me of having a negative attitude.

Go low-tech,it's reliable,you can't depend on a motor vehicle if there is no fuel or replacemnt parts.So nevermind that.
High tech needs batteries,so don't worry about any pursuit by government entities for long,if it should come to that,but I doubt it will.

Worst case scenario in the government's view doesn't consider you sheep out there.

You have to prepare to get by on your own,just in case.

Good OP.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Beware of something called "Self fulfilling Prophesy",a lot of religious nut jobs think the world is going to end soon.

Enough people just believeing in something is sometimes enough to tip it toward reality.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Your family have my deepest sympathies. It's unfortunate that you would take enjoyment from watching them suffer.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I think we are going to see a lot more of Earthquakes and storms. We also are going to have social unrest as I think the dollar is tanking and there will be food shortages. You can prepare if you like, but you also must be prepared to defend your goods with your life. If you have something you will be a target. If you have something people will want it and they will gang up on you and take it. You can only defend it for so long unless you are very well hidden.

There are some things that no one can take from you and those are the things that will get you through more than any material possession. In the end it may be better to die than to live. In the end what is another day if you are constantly watching your back and fighting?

There are people in some countries that have sold their children for a dollar just to live another miserable day. If you are miserable what will you do just to live another day? If you have a quality of life and you can defend it, that is good. I don't think people should fear death though, doing everything they can to avoid it, even suffering miserably. Everything must die sooner or later.

If you do not fear death then you can do more. You don't care about the outcome. You will share with others because what does it matter? You are not trying to stay alive so you can be generous to others, giving to those in need. Then perhaps you will grow spiritually as well. You need to do the opposite of what your body tells you or everyone tells you. When everyone says panic, be afraid, fear death, don't do it. When logic says to hoard, be selfish, don't share, then share it anyway.

You may die, but it would be a better death in the end I think. If you are not afraid you can be free in the midst of anything. Whatever happens, just be there to observe it. Ride it out to the end and conclusion without fear. Help and be kind, talk softy and calmly. Be the best you can be to the end.

It may be that you will die either way, but it would be better to die helping others I think.

edit on 10-11-2012 by jessieg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I do not hate the police. My opinion is that if any entity especially the government has a monopoly on service, it becomes a breeding ground of corruption and misuse of power. In saying that, I am 100% positive there are police out there that do there job in the service of the public and frown upon the well reported corruption. Just starting this thread proves that you are one of the ones that I respect and thank for your services.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by detachedindividual

Beware of something called "Self fulfilling Prophesy",a lot of religious nut jobs think the world is going to end soon.

Enough people just believeing in something is sometimes enough to tip it toward reality.

My one real fear is that this could become 'The Grand-Daddy' of all Self Fulfilling Prophesies.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

if you have something to clean/filter water, water shouldn't be a problem. MREs are good. There are LED flashlights that don't need batteries. Some disinfectant for wounds and 1st aid kits. Maybe a solar radio.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Yes all these things that you have mentioned do exist. I am just not sure why your reply is funny?
Am I missing something?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Uberdavo

You know as a side note....I want out of the job for one reason....it has become a business these days to be a cop....I can't tell you how many times news trickles down that we only made X amount of dollars from certain citations which was X% less than last year. It is frustrating....im currently looking for different work...

TO OTHERS: I may actually put together another thread will a full entire packing list of my bug out gear and my bunker down gear.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

as well as a lot of canned food etc. I also have printed up alot of useful information, which I have stashed away with my bug out gear. knot tying, snare and trap guides, how to make your own penicillin and native edible plant guides. I would like some feed back from others as to what other information you think would be useful to print out and keep. Trade goods are also high on my list. Coffee and tobacco I believe will serve me well when trading with others.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I recommend picking up some of those 5 gallon jugs of water from Home Depot or anywhere else. Also, Lot's of beans and freeze dried food as well. ~$heopleNation
edit on 10-11-2012 by SheopleNation because: I guess they worked their squabble out.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

edit on 10-11-2012 by Uberdavo because: pointless retort

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Uberdavo

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good eye there Davo, way to go kid! You're quickly learning. See how that works?

Now, just pick yourself up a few of those 5 gallon jugs I was talking about and you should do fine buddy. ~$heopleNation
edit on 10-11-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mcsandy

Apologies if I offended anyone here in this thread or to the OP. I will admit I tend to shoot from the hip but I am an old mother raising young children and TRY to be the same person as a mom, wife, friend and anon poster here in ATS.

Survival is what brought me to ATS to begin with. I never post in this forum it seems because I am constantly learning and in general my posts are the verbage I would use with a parents, in fellowship, in a friend's home or mine. Rarely do I sit and think - why did I say that. At most times catch the insertion of my foot; while trying to survive these times.

Cheers-
Peace & blessings
edit on 11-11-2012 by mcsandy because: spacing

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

I have a 600L water tank that I make sure is always close to full. We get quite a bit of rain where I am so it is almost always full of rain water and getting renewed.

For others in Australia here is a good book
Wild food plants of Australia, by Tim low

<< 1  2    4 >>

join