It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Be Prepared Thread....But Different...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
First let me say that I don't believe anything will happen on December 21st that is super natural or any kind of natural disaster. I do fear that 1) People may panic, 2) a coincidental minor natural disaster could occur on the same day causing panic, 3) Someone may intentionally pick this day for a terrorist attack etc....

If something causes the spread of panic we could see difficult times. I work as a police officer and I recently took off the days around this time and asked my chief if they had any emergency plan in place. The answer was "no". I then inquired if we had an emergency plan at all for any kind of major event. We don't really....just some minor concepts.

My warning is this.....we aren't ready for anything....if something serious happens I can tell you from experience and my conversations with law enforcement throughout at least my state....we are not going to be able to protect you if a moderate to major incident happens. Stock up guys.... below I listed some tips..

Several Foods That Don't Expire: honey, white rice, white distilled vinegar, sugar, pure vanilla extract, salt

Home Protection: buy a gun even if it is only a little .22 pistol...the beauty of .22 ammo is it can't be reloaded and may act as a currency if things got really bad.

Plan Travel Routes: plan the routes you would take to get fresh water, medical supplies, fishing spots...could you get to these routes without a vehicle and in the dark...and could you return home?

Don't Advertise Your Situation: don't tell people you are stocked up, got a nice generator? imagine all the noise that thing will make while the rest of the city/town is dead quiet....consider a kerosene heater over a generator and solar panels for other electronics.

Prepare For TWO Scenarios: Prep for a scenario where you bunker down and stay in the area and prep for one where you have to leave the area quick (radiation coming , etc)...keep gas in the car....I never have less than 200 miles worth provided there is no traffic.

Just wanted to pass along some info guys and gals...be safe...and I can assure there are so few of us out there that are ready...don't be that one...a little bit of investment can really make a difference...we can't expect help these days....I like to hope we would band together, but you just don't know! Thx for reading.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Good reminders.

My addition is that the trunk of the car is the place to keep blankets, first aid, boots, socks (Gotta take care of the feet) shovel, extra fuel, cooker, anything a baby might need (diapers, dried and wet foods etc) medicines for the family. First Aid booklet, survival booklet, maps, extra bic lighters or zippo with extra fuel, wind up radio, flash light....a little pocket fisherman can make a huge difference as well

And don't just throw the stuff in the trunk but rather put them in back packs (bug outs) just in case the car isn't an option. This way you are ready to hoof it in a minute.

So much more but each individual will have different needs.

Peace

edit on 8-11-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My state patrol friend said that Washington state has absolutely no drills or set procedures for a major disruption of life. They are going to make it up as they go depending on who puts themselves in charge and how they can assist

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Just curious if you live in a major metropolitan city?
I think major cities do have plans at all times because they have to. Do you disagree with this?

Mass panic would be the worst scenario. They must be using every disaster to study this. Looting and unlawfulness only shows them we can't cope and gives them a reason to initiate marshal law.
Marshal law means they can commandeer your home or vehicle. Your home could be taken over as a command post, or you lose your vehicle
Mass panic is the one thing that scares me most.

Thanks for your post. I hadn't thought about a gun being used as currency. I don't have any guns myself.
I have a son who's a human Rottweiler.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
Just curious if you live in a major metropolitan city?
I think major cities do have plans at all times because they have to. Do you disagree with this?

Mass panic would be the worst scenario. They must be using every disaster to study this. Looting and unlawfulness only shows them we can't cope and gives them a reason to initiate marshal law.
Marshal law means they can commandeer your home or vehicle. Your home could be taken over as a command post, or you lose your vehicle
Mass panic is the one thing that scares me most.

Thanks for your post. I hadn't thought about a gun being used as currency. I don't have any guns myself.
I have a son who's a human Rottweiler.

You are probably right about the larger cities.....Sometimes I think though in a large city no matter how strong the planning there is just too many people to worry about.....after 9-11 and Katrina I know a few plans were drawn up as models that many cities are using, and they could be tweaked for most situations. The city I live isn't small but not huge either....I figured most cities or at least counties would have plans drawn up for emergencies but they don't!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I work for a major state agency, and recently asked my captian if we had any plans. His reply was along the lines of 'the plan is to assist GEMA(Georgia emergency management agency) with whatever they request.'
Not really reassuring.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

You are aware that under the current administration doing any or all of the above is grounds to have one declared a terrorist?

Most of what you listed is simple common sense, and a way of life for rural families, though. Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

I think it also might depend on if your region has a tendency for disasters. In most cities i think its made very clear you must be able to survive for 72 hours. If you aren't prone to volcanoes, earthquakes or major flooding, your city might not have the best contingency plan in place, should an unprecedented event of that nature occur.

My advice for that would be to think about what can happen and how do you prepare for it. Consider what event is most likely to affect you. Geological or weather related. Do you live in heavily wooded areas, do you know how to react in a wildfire, how to protect your property, your lives, etc.. Is your city a terrorist target?
Do you have a mask in case a volcano erupts? They will be hard to come by once its erupted.

In regards to task forces.
i i would think, hope, that for city that has hosted global events, the police forces at least have trained to deal with controlling the public. Then again that might not work in our favor.

Hope all the birds flying east right now aren't telling me something!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Well I think where the homeland security is really looking is those are indeed some of the same traits "terrorists" or anti government militias have. Not to go too far off thread but sometimes profiling is all they got! I welcome any federal agent who wants to come see my set up haha....maybe they can give me a few extra pointers...

It will always be your right to prepare....no one is gonna go after you for that... however I will concur that it is possible people do collect "data" on you, but so does every single company out there...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Very good point...I live in the midwest so I can avoid some of the more specific events but I generally over prepare for anything...either bunker down or run like hell..i have two completely different set ups...cost a little more but I think its worth it...

Also one more thing...me and wife have a set plan that I will come to her wherever she is...she works 5 miles away so the plan is if the shtf i have to make it to her and she shouldnt try on her own...not that she couldnt but that wed both be stuck looking all around for each other...just something else to keep in mind.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
good advice / tips for people at anytime ... never hurts to be prepared ... though suspect its already too late for many with events currently in motion and the storm clouds building on the horizon...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Remember there are a lot of devices that are hand crank from radios and flashlights to cell phone charging stations. A 12 volt to 110 converter is also handy. Many cars have them built in to run lap tops and to charge phones. Have a good supply of rechargeable batteries as well. The most important survival item is a cool head!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by grayeagle
Remember there are a lot of devices that are hand crank from radios and flashlights to cell phone charging stations. A 12 volt to 110 converter is also handy. Many cars have them built in to run lap tops and to charge phones. Have a good supply of rechargeable batteries as well. The most important survival item is a cool head!

Very good call....I actually probably have a list of 100 things, but was trying to hit on some more tangent ones...but man there was an infomercial the other day about a hand crank lantern and I thought "i gotta have it!" haha.....im huge into solar panels and hand crank items...ive even consider mini windmills but i really dont know much about rigging them up....with enough money you could really live off the grid and run a green house and live near a patch of woods and a river and be just fine...ive even considered getting a few of those big rain water collectors for plants and vegetables...so many things to get!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have told my wife and kids, who are starting to think I am less and less crazy, and I will tell everyone here as well.

If you want to get a feel for what a SHTF scenario will be like then look no further than NYC right now.
Don't take MY word for it.
Don't take the MSM's word for it.
Look for yourself.

Craigslist (gas)

Looting is at epidemic levels.

In the wake of superstorm Sandy, reports of lootings across the Tri-State have been widespread.

Areas hit especially hard by Sandy continue to deal with dealing with lawlessness.

Rockaways residents told 1010 WINS reporter Gary Baumgarten that looting and thievery have become such serious threats that taking up arms and fleeing town are the best options for staying safe.

link

People are selling their F****ING BODIES for gas!!!!!
There is NO CLEAN WATER!!!
There is NO FOOD!!!
Gas is being rationed by NYC now.

That's ok though, that's what FEMA is for.
The Government will come save us right?

BUZZZZZZZZ.

WRONG!!!

The Fema office on Staten Island is closed due to weather.
link

I know that it has become quite the sport to make fun of all of those weirdo preppers that they show on TV but they are the ones laughing right now. At least the East Coast Chapter of Weirdo Preppers is.

The way I see it, you have three choices.

1.You can ignore all of the warnings and DIE later of starvation or hypothermia.

2. You can ignore all of the warnings and Die trying to break into someones house in an ill fated last ditch effort to feed yourself and your family.

3. You can survive by preparing NOW.

These people over there on the East Coast aren't F ing around man.
They are desperate.
And you will be too if you don't do something NOW!

Here is my latest purchase which I will be recieving in a day or two.
I will do a thread on it soon complete with video demonstration.

rocket stove

trust me, you NEED one of these.

video

edit on 8-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
1992 Los Angeles Riots

This was just a taste of what could happen. Be prepared.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Well said mate....ive always been a kind of survivalist...was in the infantry for 4 years...prior to my current employment, but man it really all hit home with Katrina.....after that and the stories from there...we sent a few cops down that way during different phases and the stories they have are sobering...now as you said with the NY and east coast issues...you are spot on....think of how fragile the whole system is! It wouldnt take much for the country to shut down for a month or two...I unfortunately am medicine dependent...probably have a couple years functioning without meds before severe discomfort...but I owe it to my family to guide them and educate them for those years. Be safe brother and thx for posting.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Hi violet,

It is my opinion that living in a large city is the worst scenario. I live in a large city/county with millions of people. I am convinced that in a major crisis we are on our own and in a city of millions it will be dangerous. All those people who live in denial will find themselves without and won't hesitate to kill for what they need. My hopes would be to get out of the city and head for somewhere less inhabited, e.g., national forest, mountains. IMO you CANNOT reply on cities having any plans to help the masses in a major disaster (natural or man made). The number of people needing assistance would be to overwhelming.

Blessings,
yesterdaysreality

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I appreciate the advice. I recently started practicing fishing again (haven't fished since my teens) and it's not out of need of a hobby. I was pretty nervous at first going out several days and not catching a thing. In just a couple weeks of practice I can now yank a few trout out in an hour. I have a deep core feeling that those kinds of skills are going to be valuable soon.

I also began hunting dove and quail with a pellet gun to refine my marksmanship and capabilities without having to rely on gunpowder (not to mention noise benefits). I'm no die-hard prepper, but I'm a firm believer in "prepare for the worst, and hope for the best." I've also been taking my sons out camping at least once every 2 weeks, even if it's just for one night so they are used to the experience of staying out in the middle of nowhere and fending for yourself.

Some scary times, I hope I never have to put the skills to the test, but I worry more for those who are completely ignorant to any methods of self-reliance, and the threat that they may one day pose on me and mine. Thanks for the advice and lets pray we're all just good Boy Scouts and staying prepared.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm slowly working my way up to self reliance in terms of the necessities ( food, water, shelter )... Unfortunantly I am dependent on some medications, so complete self reliance is a distant dream... I have a book for common pharmaceuticals and they are on there, so in time I may be able to manufacture my own from stored precursors.

My first garden was a failure, double dug with 4 inches of pine-horse manure compost... Corn, beans, oats, squash, and sunflowers all grew, but stunted at about half expected size... The soil needs much work, so I'm starting vermiculture. Have a few chickens, and plan on doing a large greenhouse with a rocket mass heater ( shooting for at least extending the growing season here to 8 months )... In 5 years I may be able to provide most of my food on my own.

I'm not a pepper in the sense that I am not preparing for anything... I am a comp sci major, and have been working with a kinetic sensor to identify plants/seeds/humans... Basically a large database of patterns that are used to identify anything a robot would need to do all the gardening routine for me ( plant the seed, water, and pull ) ... I'm trying to automate the whole thing....this is the real reason I think it'll take at least 5 years ( its more a hobby project, with limited funding )... All I want to have to do is double dig at the beginning, fill the water tank, seed bins, and leave it for a few months.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
If something causes the spread of panic we could see difficult times. I work as a police officer and I recently took off the days around this time and asked my chief if they had any emergency plan in place. The answer was "no". I then inquired if we had an emergency plan at all for any kind of major event. We don't really....just some minor concepts.

You were working as a police officer how long before you thought it may be important to find out this kind of info and ask your superiors about it???

Societies finest at work

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join